Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Question: Max panel temp

• 11-07-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I've HP200 tubes on the roof.

My controller appears to be set for a max panel temp of 130 degrees.

When it goes above this the pump set cuts out.

Why is it set like this?

My tank isn't maxed out at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

sas wrote: »
    I've HP200 tubes on the roof.

My controller appears to be set for a max panel temp of 130 degrees.

When it goes above this the pump set cuts out.

Why is it set like this?

My tank isn't maxed out at this stage.

To avoid stagnation of the anti-freeze. Plus you do not want those types of temperatures running through your pump & other components.
    What is your cylinder temperature set to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

If your panel is at 130 and your cylinder is not heated up, then something else is wrong. I would check for air in the fluid, or increase pump speed. Something wrong with the flow rate in the system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

shane0007 wrote: »
    To avoid stagnation of the anti-freeze. Plus you do not want those types of temperatures running through your pump & other components.
    What is your cylinder temperature set to?

My system maxes out when the bottomr reachs 60 degrees.

My tank doesn't have a top stat, it has 1 at the bottom and 1 about 60% of the way up. When it cuts out that top stat will be around 70 -72 degrees.

Not damaging the pump makes sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

If your panel is at 130 and your cylinder is not heated up, then something else is wrong. I would check for air in the fluid, or increase pump speed. Something wrong with the flow rate in the system...

My cylinder would be very close to maxed out.

In what we would typically term "great weather", the tank will routinely top out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

60 is the factory setting, generally for warmer climates. I would increase to 65C - 70C generally depending on the system parameters.
    If the system is 130 at manifold & still not hitting 60C in the cylinder, then as Quintan suggests, there is most likely air in the manifold. If the cylinder coil is corrugated & the solar pipe work is corrugated, & if not purged correctly on installation, trapped microscopic air within the corrugation will eventually release to the manifold. This can take a number of years to show a problem. Purging properly will resolve it.
    If the system is due a service, then it would be a good time to do so.

Do not this whilst hot. I had to service one yesterday at 7.00am to avoid the temps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement