Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"West Clare" - Recommendation for a nice dinner

• 11-07-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for boardsies to give me their recommendations on a nice restaurant in the Kilkee/Kilrush peninsula.
    Heading in this direction soon and looking for a nice venue for OH and I to go to in order to celebrate our wedding anniversary over a nice dinner.
    I had a look through TripAdvisor but would appreciate the locals' advice.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Strand in Kilkee would be my recommendation. Request a window table and watch the sun set out over the bay.
    http://www.thestrandkilkee.com/index.php?page=restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Would really recommend Tubridy's in Doonbeg. Fantastic food but you would have to book to make sure of getting a table. If they are full Igoes in Doonbeg is lovely as well. Congratulations on your anniversary and wherever you pick have a wonderful evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joey801

I'd go with Naughtons in Kilkee, should probably book here too, town is hopping at the moment. Congrats and enjoy yourselves :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/NaughtonsSteakSeafood

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

avoid the strand like the plague. Murphy blacks is pretty tasty thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Making a point without backing it up.

I have had dinner in the Strand a few times this season and I can't fault either the food or the staff. Very chatty and pleasant.

As for the food, I had the escallop bake and it was really good.

If you want a window table in the strand, make sure to book in advance, the view cannot be beaten.

A few other places in kilkee, Murphy Blacks is really nice, Naughton's Take Away for a fresh Cod and Chips can't be beaten... But make sure to ring ahead or you could be hanging around for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

Crotty's in Kilrush is good. Doesn't have a sea view but the food is good and the staff and friendly and helpful in my experience.

Why should it be avoided like the Plague? I can't understand why you would make such a statment?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Ate there once really wasn't good, it was off season so maybe that was the reason. Plague was prob a bit harsh. Just wouldn't recommend it, maybe I was unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Thank you guys and gals for your recommendations. :)

We had our anniversary dinner in "The Strand" (thank you Finbarrk) and have enjoyed it :) The staff indeed is friendly (though a late enough reservation, they managed to squeeze us by the window :) ), the view really nice (we should have more restaurants looking out on the sea). The food was nice and plentiful too though a little delayed because of a 'technical' issue where the Chef's printer decided to break down at the time of our order ! LOL
    @ RunningBalance - you probably were unlucky that day - you should give it another try :)

Thank you Layinghen, joey801, Wackoy2k, Radio5 and RunningBalance for your other recommendations - We'll have to go back to this lovely part of the world to try these other venues :D

Valerie

Good to hear. Couldn't understand someone slating it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement