Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% hdd usage in task mgr; 0 rw tho

Options
  • 11-07-2013 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

As per subject

One of my drives is showing as 100% usage after boot sometimes and its pretty much locking up my system.

It's not my OS drive, but a secondary ssd.

TM is showing 0 disk read/write.

Resource Mgr is showing msft table as being the only thing I can see on my E:

Any ideas? Had a google myself but there doesn't seem to be a concrete fix.

Only happens sometimes :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I'd say open task manager (see if you can get two instances open) and kill off processes until you nail the guilty one.
    Maybe try deleting SSD drivers, rebooting and reinstalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

deleting ssd drivers?

lol wut?!

Like i said, the only thing process I can see running on that drive is msft table or something close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Maybe a AV is scanning the drive?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Maybe a AV is scanning the drive?
    I'd thought that but only have the default win8 av and it doesn't scan automatically.

If it did, surely an AV would scan all my hdds and not just rape one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

MFT (Master File Table) is stored on the main boot drive but holds information about files on all drives. There's a second copy of the file stored in case the first becomes corrupt, but it's usually also stored on the main boot drive closer to the middle.

Maybe you could post a screen grab of the Task Manager window ?

Ken

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    MFT (Master File Table) is stored on the main boot drive but holds information about files on all drives. There's a second copy of the file stored in case the first becomes corrupt, but it's usually also stored on the main boot drive closer to the middle.

Maybe you could post a screen grab of the Task Manager window ?

Ken
    I will next time it happens but it locks up my machine for x period of time.

Only happens to this one drive and a reboot usually sorts it.

Very weird.

062A5ru.png

Right now.

E: stores some games for me is all

and now 0% again.

google tells me it's rather common on win8

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Did you just upgrade recently? I got it a low when I upgraded to Windows 8 first but it has (mostly) died away since.

The Processes tab should let you sort by disk usage so you can see what is doing it, in some cases it will be something under a process group so try expanding out whatever shows up on top. If you right click on whatever it is and go to details, it will go to the Details tab and highlight the specific processes.

In my case it was mostly Superfetch causing the problem, but like I said it has mostly calmed down now (once it learned my usage patterns I suppose).

It's worth making sure you have all the latest updates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I see you posted this on a thursday. I assume your computer was turned off at 1am the night before?

http://i.imgur.com/UfoEN7C.png Turn this off, its on by default.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Only thing I added was a pci-e to sata expansion card (faulty sata connections on my mobo :( )

Defrag is off, first thing to do when running an SSD.

I had a second steam apps folder on the ssd for some of my more commonly used steam games. I removed that and it seems to have settled down; no issues since but it's just very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Any chance this faulty sata connection is actually still affecting something?

Steam does actually do a lot of scratch on the disc, theres even a tutorial to force antivirus software to ignore a specific few files steam accesses a lot - this caused a lot of performance issues in tf2 years ago if i recall.
    Can you maybe simlink the non-game files to a ramdisk? Would be an interesting experiment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bad driver for the expansion card maybe? If you're using the manufacturers driver can you try a microsoft one, and vice versa?

Advertisement