Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you see yourself staying in Waterford forever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I moved to Waterford 12 year's for college. Feel in love with the city and will never leave (hopefully)

Currently unemployed but still holding hope for the city. Love the people. Have made some wonderful friends. Have seen many business' close, even my favourite pub.

I am an adopted deise man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

madfcuker wrote: »
    I moved to Waterford 12 year's for college. Feel in love with the city and will never leave (hopefully)

Currently unemployed but still holding hope for the city. Love the people. Have made some wonderful friends. Have seen many business' close, even my favourite pub.

I am an adopted deise man.

A lot of people I befriended in college are still here, people from Wexford, Carlow, Wicklow, Cork and Laois. Coincidentally, it was some of them who opened my eyes to some of the great walks, hikes and scenery we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Just moved to Dublin 2 months ago for a job, was offered a job in Waterford at the same time co-incidentally, but fancied a bit of a change and the Dublin job had better prospects. That being said Waterford will always be home and I hope to come back in 5-10 years to stay for good.

What type of work? Im guessing IT related. Seems to be all thats around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Wow bet if I had started this thread id be getting told where to go!

Would probably leave ireland if I was leaving, but havin bought a house it aint gonna happen so gotta makes the most of it,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I couldn't see myself leaving,

I moved only to Cork for a job a couple of years ago and I was miserable for the six months.I was there.

My friends are made and I live near my family. I definitely wouldn't take a fresh start on by choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I was offered a job in the UK and moved within the month of the offer. I miss Waterford in a way but whenever I'm home and I head down the town I slowly remember that it's not the place I remember it as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Hmmmm don't know.

I'm gonna finish my degree and see where I stand, apparently there's a few jobs around Waterford with an IT degree but I'll wait and see. If I do I already have 3 or 4 spots picked out to plant a house on near enough to where I live with great views and no crazy traffic. If I move it will be either to somewhere sunny or somewhere like Kerry (always liked it down there for some reason). I wish everyone (whether they've moved to the area recently or been here for generations) could ''encourage'' certain undesirables to live up to their names and move the #### on and stop making a simple drive to tescos a traffic calamity waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Went to college in Dublin, moved back to Waterford to do my training contract then qualified and went to Kenya and Haiti for work for 2 years.

Living in Dublin the last year and 3 months. I feel I have to build my career and Waterford cannot provide me with this at this point in time but I would like to move back when I am older but I see this in 5 - 10 years time.

There's no place like home and nothing better than two crusty blaas and half a pound of red lead. Waterford is the best place in the world in my eyes but sometimes we have to make a few bob elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Media999 wrote: »
    What type of work? Im guessing IT related. Seems to be all thats around.

Yep, it was IT related alright. Got offered a job in a place closely linked to WIT. Chose a more consultancy based job in Dublin. The first project isn't remotely technical at all which is a bit of a let-down but hoping this job will still lead to "moving up the ladder" a bit quicker in the long run.

Odats wrote: »
    Went to college in Dublin, moved back to Waterford to do my training contract then qualified and went to Kenya and Haiti for work for 2 years.

Living in Dublin the last year and 3 months. I feel I have to build my career and Waterford cannot provide me with this at this point in time but I would like to move back when I am older but I see this in 5 - 10 years time.

There's no place like home and nothing better than two crusty blaas and half a pound of red lead. Waterford is the best place in the world in my eyes but sometimes we have to make a few bob elsewhere.

I'm not being smart I'm not being funny so please nobody jump on me and say I'm alqueda or something, but from a practical point of view would it not be silly to build up a career around the world, so your having to travel to build your career and then move back? I presume of course you won't just move back and see what happens, it wud be a shame like to get your experience and then come back to nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm not being smart I'm not being funny so please nobody jump on me and say I'm alqueda or something, but from a practical point of view would it not be silly to build up a career around the world, so your having to travel to build your career and then move back? I presume of course you won't just move back and see what happens, it wud be a shame like to get your experience and then come back to nothing?

Not necessarily. The job market here is not as fluid as in bigger places like London or Dublin, but there are still plenty of good jobs if you've got the right experience.

The sort of operations that give young people/graduates their first job are thin on the ground in Waterford, so you have to go where they are to get experience. Plenty of accounts people start in the big PwC and E&Y operations that they have in Dublin; likewise IT people in IBM and HP. Once they have a few years under their belt, they come into the running for some of the positions with slower turnover in Waterford.

fricatus wrote: »
    Not necessarily. The job market here is not as fluid as in bigger places like London or Dublin, but there are still plenty of good jobs if you've got the right experience.

The sort of operations that give young people/graduates their first job are thin on the ground in Waterford, so you have to go where they are to get experience. Plenty of accounts people start in the big PwC and E&Y operations that they have in Dublin; likewise IT people in IBM and HP. Once they have a few years under their belt, they come into the running for some of the positions with slower turnover in Waterford.
    Okay get ye, thanks for enlightening me.

A lot of engineers do this as well - some get used of the lifestyle

Odats wrote: »

Forget Waterford, I wouldn't have found anything in Ireland that I would get the full benefit out of my degree and skills. I'm much better off in the UK than I was in Waterford.

I'm also frequently talking to my parents and it doesn't seem I'm missing much in Waterford either... I don't believe there's much incentive for young graduates to stay in Waterford with so many opportunities in places like Dublin, Galway and probably Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Forget Waterford, I wouldn't have found anything in Ireland that I would get the full benefit out of my degree and skills. I'm much better off in the UK than I was in Waterford.

I'm also frequently talking to my parents and it doesn't seem I'm missing much in Waterford either... I don't believe there's much incentive for young graduates to stay in Waterford with so many opportunities in places like Dublin, Galway and probably Cork.

I agree with you about the lack of opportunities here, Im surprised by the amount of young people who dont see themselves anywhere else but Waterford for the future, I would love to know where they are working, very few secure jobs for young people here. I undestand why people who have travlled and had a family etc abroad would return to settle, I would class myself as someone like that, but the career opportunities are just not here anymore.

b0ardsUser wrote: »

I'd agree if you want somewhere where you can move up the ladder or have a niche skillset especially on graduation u.k and especially London is the place to be. Thinking of heading their in a few years myself but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I'm leaving with my family at the end of the year and the only thing I'm going to miss are my friends, which out of the 8 I've spent in Waterford the majority I have made in the last year in a small niche I had to go out of my way to create myself.
    I don't know how people can say Waterford people (generalizing) are so nice and great craic... I've found the opposite compared to other cities around Ireland, and many of my Waterford/Irish friends will say the exact same. My sister-in-law who spent most of her childhood in Waterford/Dunmore East said she couldn't believe how run down Waterford is looking and how sad that was for her. I work a bit in markets and find Waterford (in and around the city, not the county) one of the most difficult places to get people out of their houses to spend even a couple of euro... yet they will complain there is nothing going on. There are a lot of people, and fair play to them, that try to make good things happen in the city, but they tend to have difficulty. Then the city tries to put on events to help business owners that in the end shifts money to Dublin or other city-based businesses. That is what makes me want to leave... this city doesn't really want to help itself.
    I've travelled a lot and lived in a lot of different kinds of places, and while I love the county (it IS an underrated part of the country as it is very beautiful)... its not the only beautiful place in the world. I'm looking forward to moving and enjoying what a regular pay check feels like again... I think you can see the positives to wherever you are, and you make your own way and happiness... but that's no reason to stay put and complacent.

I'm leaving with my family at the end of the year and the only thing I'm going to miss are my friends, which out of the 8 I've spent in Waterford the majority I have made in the last year in a small niche I had to go out of my way to create myself.
    I don't know how people can say Waterford people (generalizing) are so nice and great craic... I've found the opposite compared to other cities around Ireland, and many of my Waterford/Irish friends will say the exact same. My sister-in-law who spent most of her childhood in Waterford/Dunmore East said she couldn't believe how run down Waterford is looking and how sad that was for her. I work a bit in markets and find Waterford (in and around the city, not the county) one of the most difficult places to get people out of their houses to spend even a couple of euro... yet they will complain there is nothing going on. There are a lot of people, and fair play to them, that try to make good things happen in the city, but they tend to have difficulty. Then the city tries to put on events to help business owners that in the end shifts money to Dublin or other city-based businesses. That is what makes me want to leave... this city doesn't really want to help itself.
    I've travelled a lot and lived in a lot of different kinds of places, and while I love the county (it IS an underrated part of the country as it is very beautiful)... its not the only beautiful place in the world. I'm looking forward to moving and enjoying what a regular pay check feels like again... I think you can see the positives to wherever you are, and you make your own way and happiness... but that's no reason to stay put and complacent.

I couldn't agree more, from working in several jobs dealing with the public in Waterford I've come to the conclusion that Waterford people (again generalizing) just love to complain.

I regularly keep in touch with friends back home and I hear nothing but negative news about Waterford and every week there seems to be a shop or two closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the real question for many of us who have left, is there any prospect of us ever coming back? First of all could we, and second of all would we?

I have four siblings. Two gone, one left and another just finishing school and probably about to leave. One of the four has a young family, and would like to return but there aren't enough high calibre companies like Genzyme and therefore a lack of opportunities. I'm at the stage were it would be unlikely that I would get a good enough opportunity to return home either, but even if I did I don't think I'd be interested in going home as things seem pretty dead down there.

The only time I'd feel like I was missing out is at a time like this when the weather is brilliant. Having top quality beaches so close is a huge bonus.

I've often heard people who have moved to Waterford remark that the locals were quite clanny. That while they were ok up front, they'd always have an inside line on things and info which they would communicate with other locals but not to the blow ins.

There is also the outside perception that Waterford City people are quite militant and a bit strike-happy. Rather than complain about this as "people from outside not giving Waterford the credit it deserves" etc., the City should focus on trying to promote more positive activities as much as possible. The likes of the Viking Marathon and the recent gigs weren't on anyone's radar outside of Waterford. If that was Galway there would be a slick PR campaign bigging both of those events up to the max.

Advertisement