Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An Adventure In Space & Time", drama by Mark Gatiss

Options
  • 11-07-2013 5:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I didn't spot an existing thread, but figured this upcoming drama about the genesis & early years of Dr. Who is worth talking about. Mark Gatiss is scribbling the screenplay, with David Bradley playing William Hartnell & Reece Shearsmith as Patrick Troughton.

Some stills have already popped up and as is typical with the BBC, the period detail is pretty awesome. The recreated TARDIS and associated sets look fantastic. Bradley also looks the absolute spit of Hartnell:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ie/2013/07/an-adventure-in-space-time-promo-pic.html

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/an-adventure-in-space-time-pics.html

I wonder though; given all those lovely sets & costumes, will they film a few scenes for the 50th anniversary story, with Bradley & Shearsmith playing the Docs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I highly doubt that they'd use Bradley as the 1st Doctor. If they were going to do that they would have done it when Clara was redirecting the Doctor to the other TARDIS in 'The Name of The Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

flazio wrote: »
    I highly doubt that they'd use Bradley as the 1st Doctor. If they were going to do that they would have done it when Clara was redirecting the Doctor to the other TARDIS in 'The Name of The Doctor

They are using Bradley and others who've previously starred in the series

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/David-Bradley-IS-William-Hartnell-the-First-Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I'm looking forward to this more than the actual 50th anniversary episode itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm looking forward to it too. It's a pretty interesting story, how it got started and the problems they had. I doubt any of them thought there'd ever be a 50th anniversary special!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Beeb released more photos from this drama; you can always rely on the BBC to get period detail just right:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-pics-54099.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Can't believe I've to spoiler a Docudrama line but here goes

BIG BIG SPOILER

The final scene has David Bradly as Hartnell look up from his Tardis console and sees Matt Smith as The Doctor standing on the other side. Seems like a nice way to show that there is/was a future ahead for the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a Dr Who Nerd but the BBC do these dramas well so I'll be on board for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When is this been shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

CramCycle wrote: »
    When is this been shown?

Tomorrow night at 9 I think.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    When is this been shown?

Its tomorrow at 9pm on BBC2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

19 mins away , looking forward to this as much as the day of the doctor......

The Master wrote: »
    19 mins away , looking forward to this as much as the day of the doctor......

I have it set to record as I'm sure I'll watch it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Coldzone wrote: »
    I have it set to record as I'm sure I'll watch it a few times

Missed it please tell me it's repeating

Sublime....

The Master wrote: »
    Sublime....

That was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stunning performance by David Bradley, never a truer line, "I can tell all that just by a look", summed up his performance.

Delightful film over all, didn't know the first programme was so close to JFK's assassination, some great hints at the history of the time like De Gaul and some great one liners.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Coldzone wrote: »
    That was brilliant

Few mins making of on after , brilliant.

Once again , that was not only a good piece of doctor who tv.
    It was a fantastic bit of television.
    Another classic BBC drama

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was highly enjoyable, and really shows how much luck and gumption it took to get Dr. Who off the ground. It was a really touching, warts n' all, portrayal of Hartnell too. Well done to all involved and you could tell it was a labour of love. I had been looking forward to this as much as the 50th anniversary story and it didn't disappoint :) (though I'd have loved if it kept going through the rest of the 60s and charted Tourghton's time; but in fairness this was William Hartnell's story)

The little appearance of
    Matt Smith in the control room with Hartnell
    should have been cheesy but it bought a little lump to my throat, I must say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Christ you'd have to be stone not to be touched by the ending of that.

• Advertisement

Man tears were just about held back when you-know-who appeared.

pixelburp wrote: »

The little appearance of

That got me aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'm man enough to admit the ending scenes from the fireplace to the final control scene, I was welling up!

Beautiful show! Will definitely buy the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

pixelburp wrote: »

The little appearance of

It was a bit, but Smith saved it, the twinkle in the eye made it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Shows what a top drawer actor like Bradley can do with the part. I wonder if a few casting directors are wondering why he didn't get the Doctor role proper...or was he offered it at some point:confused: The bit about playing Sergeant Majors and villains applies to both Bradley and Hartnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Absolutely loved it. There's always been a debate over just exactly what happened that caused Hartnell to leave and I can't be sure just how accurate this was but it seemed like a pretty good midpoint between the various different versions of his exit. Although the scene where he broke down was very moving I didn't like that he used the same words as Tennant's Doctor before regeneration (I don't want to go.') Seemed cheap and disrespectful to me. But then it could be completely unintentional to have the same words, in which case I'm being stupidly pedantic.

I didn't particularly like Matt appearing in the TARDIS at the end, I know it was to show that there was a future but personally I thought it a bit cheap. Just my own feelings though. I liked very much that they ended on real footage of Hartnell as the Doctor and they picked the perfect scene I feel, but then that scene is a favourite of mine.

I liked the few minutes of people who actually knew him speaking after the credits, very nice.

Even being familiar to an extent with Hartnell's story I didn't expect something so moving. I may have shed a tear or two...or twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really enjoyed that. Doctor Who week is making me smile every day so far :D

It is up on the BBC iPlayer for those who can get it and want to watch it again or have missed it the firrst time around.

Really enjoyed that. Doctor Who week is making me smile every day so far :D

It is up on the BBC iPlayer for those who can get it and want to watch it again or have missed it the firrst time around.

Isn't the iplayer only available to those who are in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn't the iplayer only available to those who are in the UK?

That's why I said for those who can get it.

• Advertisement

That's why I said for those who can get it.

My bad, I misread it.

Advertisement