Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzling sudden behaviour ...

• 11-07-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Maybe someone has a suggestion for me ...

Protagonist : 8-year-old labrador-collie cross, neutered since he was 6 months old - not only because it's my dog but ... he is extremely intelligent, obedient, playful, healthy, happy, and, of course somewhat spoiled :D

This dog has been fantastic for the past 8 years - though we have no gate to close our garden, he never crosses the line even if people, kids, dogs with or without toys pass by .... and he applies this to any other garden he finds himself in ...

Until 2 weeks ago ... :mad:
    On 3 occasions over the past 2 weeks, his lordship goes out the gate ... visiting ... So far, he's been found all happy and playful in a neighbour's garden 1/3 of a mile up ; he knows this lady's dog very well (this other dog has been spayed very early on too) but it's not even the case that they play together, they just can exist happily side by side (we are friends with this lady - the dogs see each other regularly - occasionally we also 'baby-sit' this other dog too).

This behaviour reversal is just puzzling.
    Nothing, that we know, has changed in the household.
    I am at home with him all day, every day.
    Very alert all day, he really settles/relaxes when the OH is home in the evening, a bit like when the herd has been regrouped.
    Upon the 2 first occurrences of him 'running away', I thought that maybe he was bored/looking for the OH but he did it again this morning, while both of us were here and at a time when he always gets his morning treat, which he awaits with eagerness !

This dog is not car-wise. We live on a small country-road which is also a cul-de-sac but a major national road is 1/2 a mile away ...
    What happens if his friend is not out when he passes by next ... I don't even want to think about it !!! :eek:

The obvious solution would be to either close the garden, get an electric collar or tie him down on a run (he'd hate that ...and so would we) but ... I just would love to get back the good old reliable doggy we had before :)

Has anyone any idea on how to resolve this mid-life crisis he seems to be experiencing?

Thank you :)

V

Advertisement