Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Park Forest Park impossible to walk in because of a cyclist

Options
  • 11-07-2013 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I took a walk to Oak Park a while ago. I was just heading into the forest when I saw a cyclist going in. I had seen him a few days ago cycling around the forest so I knew he was going to be cycling around speeding into people. Although I find this incredibly annoying I thought I'd put up with this inconvenience and continue with my walk.

When I went into the forest I saw melted tarmac on the wooden path with tyre tracks in it. I walked around it. I then saw more melted tarmac and walked around that too. However it soon became apparent that there was no end to this melted tarmac and it was becoming increasingly harder to walk around. There was mounds of it right in the middle of the path. The cyclist had obviously melted the tarmac with his tyres. He must have went around the entire forest because he cycled past me.

I turned around and headed out because it wasn't going to be an enjoyable walk having to avoid getting my shoes and trousers destroyed.

I find it disgraceful that the forest is unfit to walk in because of the actions of one unselfish cyclist.

I took some pictures of how bad it is. If you're thinking about taking a walk there it might be advisable to not wear a good pair of shoes.

Would there be any point in reporting something like this in future? There's a phone number for the forest ranger at the entrance but would this be something he would deal with? And why does no one ever stop cyclists from entering? They're a nuisance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

The cyclist had obviously melted the tarmac with his tyres.

He must have been going very fast to generate that heat.

No seriously, I can't think from the pics how a bike could do that. I think the heat literally caused the tarmac to melt away.

Aren't bikes are banned in Oak Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

almighty1 wrote: »
    He must have been going very fast to generate that heat.

No seriously, I can't think from the pics how a bike could do that. I think the heat literally caused the tarmac to melt away.

There are clearly tyre tracks in the tarmac (well it was clear to me, it might not be so obvious in the photos). There must have been people walking around all day and yet there are no footprints from people walking. Therefore the forest only got in the state it's in when the cyclist went speeding around. There is only melted tarmac in the areas where the cyclist had been.

It's already incredibly hot. The tarmac had already melted slightly so it didn't take much too entirely melt it. The tarmac is hot and so are the bicycle tyres.

While the tarmac had melted a little in places it could cope with people walking on it. It couldn't withstand someone speeding around on a bike however.

I've been on the forest every day for the last few days and hadn't seen anything like this until someone decided to cycle around the forest. Although I said I saw this cyclist the other day, that was before the heatwave.

I'm including another photo, where the bike tracks might be more apparent.
    Aren't bikes are banned in Oak Park?
    They are banned. No one seems to enforce this ban however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

A cyclist cant 'melt tarmac' what are you like??

fits wrote: »
    A cyclist cant 'melt tarmac' what are you like??
    Yeah. The tarmac melted in a straight line and just happened to form the shape of tyre tracks.

The tarmac was already hot and starting to melt slightly. It couldn't take someone cycling on it.

Anyone actually got any useful advice on if it would be worth complaining to anyone about cyclists flying around the forest making a nuisance?

• Advertisement

OK. So I don't get this whole this place is mine and no one else can go there mentality.

It is a public park, donated to the public for leisure reasons. Why shouldn't cyclists go there too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Do you mean a pedal bike or a motorbike?

I don't wish to cause distress, but it looks to me like the work of the Abominable Tarmacadaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The tarmac was already hot and starting to melt slightly.

I'd say it's the sun you would want to be reporting if melting Tarmac is the problem. Bikes don't melt Tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

In all fairness, the cyclist didnt "melt" the tarmac. Looks like he/she cycled through a melted patch and thats what left tracks.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    OK. So I don't get this whole this place is mine and no one else can go there mentality.

It is a public park, donated to the public for leisure reasons. Why shouldn't cyclists go there too???
    You obviously missed where I said there's a sign saying 'no bicycles beyond this point'. The park is for people to walk in without being hit by cyclists flying around.

262195.jpg

I already stated that the tarmac was already starting to melt. It couldn't take someone cycling on it.

I give up now and couldn't be arsed debating further.

I still don't get why bicycles should be banned tbh.

I live in a country where it is perfectly possible for cyclists and pedestrians to coexist. In fact this happens in most European countries.

You have worse things to be worrying about Mr Guitarist...

You people really love arguing about semantics don't you? He may not have exactly melted the tarmac like I said however his actions caused the already soft tarmac to shift which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been cycling there. It's designed for people to walk on not cycle on.

Goodbye.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Were the people he sped into hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I feel your pain. It must've been really difficult for you to avoid those few strips of melted tarmac. :rolleyes:

It was probably torn up by the ranger on a quad or similar it looks far to wide to be caused by a bicycle tyre.

i'd be more concerned about the dog ****e than a bit of melted tar.

If you've an issue with bikes in the park report it to the ranger, posting about it on here will have little to no effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You people really love arguing about semantics don't you? He may not have exactly melted the tarmac like I said however his actions caused the already soft tarmac to shift which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been cycling there. It's designed for people to walk on not cycle on.

Goodbye.

Sorry no one agreed with you.

Also, semantics may have an important role here..impossible to walk in?
    bit dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Bikes aren't allowed, fair enough. Report it if you feel it's a problem.

It doesn't look like bike tracks though. Bikes a) don't melt tarmac and b) don't have tires that wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Perhaps in a forest there would be many differing length stick type things?
    Pick a suitable one and stick it in his spokes as he cycles past.

Problem solved...as he shouldn't have been there in the first place who is going to listen to his whinging?

Perhaps in a forest there would be many differing length stick type things?
    Pick a suitable one and stick it in his spokes as he cycles past.

Problem solved...as he shouldn't have been there in the first place who is going to listen to his whinging?

In fairness, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of cyclists, but if I seen someone doing that to one of them I wouldn't blame the cyclist for beating seven shades of shíte out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Looks like a motor bike did that. Tyres too wide for a cyclist ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

SV wrote: »
    In fairness, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of cyclists, but if I seen someone doing that to one of them I wouldn't blame the cyclist for beating seven shades of shíte out of them.

Perhaps you have never witnessed the results of this happening to someone on a bike,in a forest?

I done it to a lad years ago who had taken my little sisters bike off her.
    By the time he was finished bouncing off a tree head first he wouldn't have garnered the energy to beat one shade of sh1te out of my little sister let alone seven out of me!

The result of said action can only be described as spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did he look like this OP?

gabrieledellottoghost.jpg

Perhaps you have never witnessed the results of this happening to someone on a bike,in a forest?

I done it to a lad years ago who had taken my little sisters bike off her.
    By the time he was finished bouncing off a tree head first he wouldn't have garnered the energy to beat one shade of sh1te out of my little sister let alone seven out of me!

The result of said action can only be described as spectacular.

Maybe it's just me wishing they'd have the energy to do it then, as that being done to them is scummy.
    Although in the case where you did it, seems deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Did he look like this OP?

gabrieledellottoghost.jpg

OP missed out on Nic Cage's autograph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I just plain dont like cyclists, there I said, Im not hiding behind some tarmac melting facade!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Immolation

Right, that's not tarmac, it's just tar, used to bind the chippings that were laid on top.
    This needed doing as people were slipping & falling during the winter on the frozen timbers.

Why they just didn't put down hardcore day 1 baffles me.
    Now you go on a forest walk that uses more wood than is in the forest :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Looks like a motorbike the damage from the photos. The marks look too wide. I doubt a cyclist could go it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I was in Oak Park yesterday during the day and those tracks are from a little digger that was working there yesterday.

I went for a walk into the forest just past the outdoor gym area and there were no tracks like that on the way in but met the digger on the way back to the gym area and can confirm 100% it was the digger that made those tracks as I had to wait to let it past and seen it make the trail of melted tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

If it was that much of a problem you should have said it to the cyclist rather than posting on boards about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I just plain dont like cyclists, there I said, Im not hiding behind some tarmac melting facade!

Likewise....I was kinda hoping the OP got some kind of retribution so it could be extended to cyclists in general.

Advertisement