Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for airshow scanner

Options
  • 11-07-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Well I have no idea what I’m talking about here so looking to be put in the right direction ……….

I visit two air shows a year, Waddington and tattoo in the uk every year and until this year’s Waddington air show had never thought of buying a radio scanned to listen to the pilots and control tower. during the day as a lad beside me had one during the red arrow display and thought to myself could be a good idea.

I should have asked the guy about them and didn’t so thought I should ask here now.

What type of scanner would I want and how do I find out about the frequency’s they are working on?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I use something very similar to this one - http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/radio-scanners/scanners/bearcat-ubc30xlt-ex-display-model
    the only feature it really needs to have is the ability to receive the "Air-Band" - 108-137 MHz, the rest is optional.

Make sure it has a digital frequency display, so you know the exact frequency you're on. You will find the frequencies either by googling them when show date is coming closer, sometimes they print it on the event guide that are for sale during the show or you can always ask someone at the event

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

Thanks for that.

Is it legal to bring them in hand luggage on flights to the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

yes, but remember - in UK you are only allowed to listen to general reception transmissions such as:
    licensed broadcasting stations;
    amateur and citizens' band radio transmissions; and
    weather and navigation transmissions

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/guidance

so the wisest thing to do is write organizers an email asking for a permission to listen to their frequency and ask them what it is. If the answer is positive, print it out and take it with you, you'll be sorted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you are interested solely in airband, rather than anything else you might pick up with the wideband scanner, then I would go for an air band specific radio. Probably cheaper and possibly will perform better on air band than a wideband scanner.

Some examples here:
    http://www.aeroshop-uk.com/airband_scanners.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

so the wisest thing to do is write organizers an email asking for a permission to listen to their frequency and ask them what it is. If the answer is positive, print it out and take it with you, you'll be sorted

Well I have been to loads of Air Shows in the UK and everyone all around the place was walking around with scanners including me, I have used a scanner in the UK for years at airshows and its never an issue. Dont waste your time contacting any airshow organiser, get your scanner and head off its not a problem same as here, I have never heard of anyone at an airshow in the UK getting stopped maybe in the likes of Greece etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement