Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of the Socio-Econ​omic Study of Recreation​al Anglers

Options
  • 11-07-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

In January 2012, Tourist Development International (TDI) was appointed by Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) to carry out a Socio-Economic Survey of Recreational Angling. The overall objective of the survey was to establish the current volume and value of domestic and overseas recreational angling in Ireland.
    Next Thursday 18 July Inland Fisheries Ireland will publish the findings of this survey. We have invited all the Members of the Dáil to the official launch of the Socio-Economic Study of Recreational Angling in Ireland. If you really believe that angling is important then encourage your local T.D. to attend the launch of the Socio-Economic Study of Recreational Anglers next week.
    Following the launch of the report it will be available to download on our website.
    A key finding of the report is that some 252,000 Irish adults go fishing, this puts participation in angling on an even footing with running, cycling, soccer and golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

This sounds like it could be an interesting read! Where abouts is the launch or will a local TD be able to find out themselves? Is it open to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

gumbo1 wrote: »
    This sounds like it could be an interesting read! Where abouts is the launch or will a local TD be able to find out themselves? Is it open to the public?

AFAIK its not open to the public, but I would imagine it will be available to read online after its launched....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

It will be launched in Kildare Street next Thursday at 2pm. My invite is in the office and I cant remember the exact location.

Being a pike angler I look at pike figures first.
    They seem to have used 2 different ways to calculate the number of domestic anglers and what they fished for. There was the household survey and their own survey of anglers at the shoreline. The figures vary a lot. They say that the household survey should be the more reliable.Looking at the shoreline survey locations they are more concentrated at game locations
    Household Survey
    Salmon only and salmon and sea trout...69000
    Sea Trout only..................................22000
    Brown trout......................................67000
    Pike................................................62000
    Coarse............................................42000
    Bass...............................................33000
    Sea excl bass...................................71000
    This gives sea anglers on top and pike not far behind trout
    Their shoreline survey
    Brown trout.....................................116000
    Salmon.............................................71000
    Sea.................................................63000
    Coarse.............................................47880
    Sea trout.........................................42840
    Pike.................................................40320
    Bass................................................22680
    This table takes into account where an angler fishes for more than one species.
    59% of pike anglers also do some trout fishing.
    pike and bass anglers are the biggest spenders on fishing tackle. In fact pike anglers spend twice as much as most anglers.
    Some 120 pages in the report and the above are just a few initial things that I noted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jimmymcg

not much point commissioning this survey when they are about to introduce a rod licence(or call it what you like).I know one bed and breakfast person in the cavan area who has stated that they will close their business as a result. It is going to have a serious negative impact on angling in this country..why should we pay for a natural resource?

jimmymcg wrote: »
    not much point commissioning this survey when they are about to introduce a rod licence(or call it what you like).I know one bed and breakfast person in the cavan area who has stated that they will close their business as a result. It is going to have a serious negative impact on angling in this country..why should we pay for a natural resource?

They are also planning to charge for another natural resource, water. Do you plan to stop drinking and washing? Fish are a natural resource, but they require protection in order to manage stocks. That's an investment by the State, same as the investment in drinking water provision...

In the survey of recreational anglers ( shoreline survey) some 69% of domestic anglers said that they were a member of an angling club. I am aware that when completing this survey they did visit a good number of competitions where you would be much more likely to meet club anglers. Anyway, under this survey they calculated that there were 252000 domestic anglers. If 69% were members of a club this would indicate that some 173880 anglers were club members. I would think that the vast majority of clubs are affiliated to one of the angling federations if only to obtain cheap club insurance. Just say only 80% of clubs are federation affiliated then the feds would have 80% of 173880 ie 139104 as feds membership numbers. I know all the feds and their approx membership numbers and if the combined total came to 60000 I would be surprised.
    I really dont think that anywhere remotely like 69% of domestic anglers are members of clubs. It could be as high as that for trout and salmon anglers as most of these waters they would fish are club controlled and you must be a club member to fish them. However I would be surprised if 10% of domestic coarse or pike are members of clubs and I would think that that would drop to maybe 5% in respect of sea anglers.
    Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jkchambers wrote: »
    In the survey of recreational anglers ( shoreline survey) some 69% of domestic anglers said that they were a member of an angling club. I am aware that when completing this survey they did visit a good number of competitions where you would be much more likely to meet club anglers. Anyway, under this survey they calculated that there were 252000 domestic anglers. If 69% were members of a club this would indicate that some 173880 anglers were club members. I would think that the vast majority of clubs are affiliated to one of the angling federations if only to obtain cheap club insurance. Just say only 80% of clubs are federation affiliated then the feds would have 80% of 173880 ie 139104 as feds membership numbers. I know all the feds and their approx membership numbers and if the combined total came to 60000 I would be surprised.
    I really dont think that anywhere remotely like 69% of domestic anglers are members of clubs. It could be as high as that for trout and salmon anglers as most of these waters they would fish are club controlled and you must be a club member to fish them. However I would be surprised if 10% of domestic coarse or pike are members of clubs and I would think that that would drop to maybe 5% in respect of sea anglers.
    Just my thoughts on the matter.
    In other words this survey isn't worth the paper it's not printed on.

Water has to be purified and cleaned before it is fit for human consumption.it also has to be piped to houses. We should pay for it. Fish are an resource that, yes have to be minded.regardless of a licence or not, the irish government have a statuary obligation to mind them.

it will take up most of fishery board staff time trying to enforce a licence..remember the 1980's when they were accompanied by gards to check licences.

It is supported by some clubs who have hidden agendas and want to undermine the fisheries service by applying for funding from the licence fund to do works in their rivers. This will eventually lead to the abolishment of the fisheries service , as all work will be done on a voluntary basis with money from the angling licence.

It will finish off the already dwindling tourism angling sector. The west of Ireland particularly promotes itself as a free fishing destination for trout.
    Its one of the last things we have free in this country.It amounts to another tax.

• Advertisement

Water has to be purified and cleaned before it is fit for human consumption.it also has to be piped to houses. We should pay for it. Fish are an resource that, yes have to be minded.regardless of a licence or not, the irish government have a statuary obligation to mind them.

it will take up most of fishery board staff time trying to enforce a licence..remember the 1980's when they were accompanied by gards to check licences.

It is supported by some clubs who have hidden agendas and want to undermine the fisheries service by applying for funding from the licence fund to do works in their rivers. This will eventually lead to the abolishment of the fisheries service , as all work will be done on a voluntary basis with money from the angling licence.

It will finish off the already dwindling tourism angling sector. The west of Ireland particularly promotes itself as a free fishing destination for trout.
    Its one of the last things we have free in this country.It amounts to another tax.
    If the compulsory angler registration charge comes in I also expect that a new angler fisheries protection reserve force will be set up to replace the outdated section 294 waterkeeper system. I would expect that they along with IFI staff would be out there checking that anglers are registered while patrolling our waters. The angler contributions would be 100% ringfenced and spent on protection, development and youth angling.

WE MUST FIGHT TO STOP THIS LICENCE.I am going to contact local TD's , guesthouse owners hoteliers that I know and get this fight under way.

Some people want everything for free.
    The west of Ireland marksts itelf as a wild fishing destination - not a free fishgin destination. Ireland isn't exactly the cheapest place in the world to visit. Most foreign anglers who fish in other countries are used to paying a licence. A licence would be a very small additional cost to a holiday.

As for clubs getting their hands on the money, hate to break it to you but IFI are already too stretched to spend all the salmon licence money that is ring fenced - not enough staff to carry out the development work. Clubs are already getting projects funded through the ring fenced money. IFI will always be needed to enforce the law.

Advertisement