Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity V prepaypower?

Options
  • 11-07-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've been approached by a salesperson to move from Airtricity to Prepaypower. It all sounds good but would i be much better off. I don't like the fact that A.T. usually send me an "Estimate" on my electricity, even though I send an exact reading when my bill is due.

I live alone, and on old age pension, and have all the usual household appliances, Tv, dishwasher, P.C. washing machine etc.

Would i be wise to switch from Airtricity to Prepaypower? If yes- why, and if no why?

Any advice greatfully recieved. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prepaypower is significantly dearer. Unless you seriously struggle to pay, don't move

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cullieh

Hi.I moved to prepay and find myself being far more aware of wasting electricity since doing so. I am delighted I changed,they gave me a meter and I can see exactly how much I have left etc. I spend between 12-15 euro pw approx.,and never have a big bill to pay after 2 months. I am glad I did it,but others will have different views of course. best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its a 12 month contract.

You pay 37c per day just for the prepay service in addition to your current bill.

If you cancel before the 12 months are up, you will have to pay €10 per month for each month left in the contract and a charge to remove the meter.

You have to own the house to get the meter installed, or have the landlords permission.

If you dont top up, you will be cut off, if you go into hospital / on holidays and dont leave sufficient money in the meter you will be cut off.

Find out where you can buy the credit for the meter and ask the shop, don't take the word of the door to door rep. Some shops have the system but not the option to sell each type of credit.

Like any provider you may have to pay a security deposit, if you do not pay this before the meter is installed you will have to pay for the contract to be cancelled as above.

http://www.prepaypower.ie/docs/default-document-library/prepaypower---terms-and-conditions-of-supply.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    SCHEDULE OF CHARGES
    Schedule of Charges
    Meter Replacement charge €135
    Keypad Replacement charge €50
    Customer Card Replacement Charge €10
    Call out fee €50
    Out of hours - weekday €90
    Out of hours -- weekend €130
    Early Termination of contract = Meter removal fee + number of months remaining on the
    contract x €10
    Meter removal Fee €50
    Number of months remaining on the contract x €10
    Paper Statement Fee €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That prepay crowd just charge about €12 per month on top of your bill for their meter. Move to flogas for close to the cheapest gas when paid by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do prepay power do gas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Do prepay power do gas?
    Not sure and the cheapest electricity supplier at the moment is the ESB with payment by Direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Not sure and the cheapest electricity supplier at the moment is the ESB with payment by Direct debit.

Probably being pedantic but it's Electric Ireland now not ESB. But yes, if direct debit then they are currently the cheapest and you have always the option of pre-paying forwards your bill before the DD falls due at the post office of pay point locations.

Advertisement