Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo nightlife?

Options
  • 11-07-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is the nightlife any good in sligo at this time of the year? It's my boyfriends birthday in 2 weeks and would consider travelling down if it was any good. we're about 40 miles from sligo so dont want to travel if it's not worth it. We are all aged between 19 and 23 :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

lisa_j wrote: »
    Is the nightlife any good in sligo at this time of the year? It's my boyfriends birthday in 2 weeks and would consider travelling down if it was any good. we're about 40 miles from sligo so dont want to travel if it's not worth it. We are all aged between 19 and 23 :)

Depends what direction the 40 miles is in. Could be better alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lisa_j

Coming from donegal direction. I know Letterkenny has good nightlife, just wanted to see other options, wouldn't mind going somewhere i've never been before :)

Coming from donegal direction. I know Letterkenny has good nightlife, just wanted to see other options, wouldn't mind going somewhere i've never been before :)

Hmmm Carrick on Shannon?
    Galway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lisa_j

Hmmm Carrick on Shannon?

Been to carrick on shannon before. Galways too far away. Hmm letterkenny again could be my best option :confused:

Been to carrick on shannon before. Galways too far away. Hmm letterkenny again could be my best option :confused:

I don't know about Sligo, have never been. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Swagman perhaps, 6th picture down.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Irish House on O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Saturday night is a laugh. Belfry or Shenanigans and Toffs is always reliable or the Garavogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Saturdays are fine. Not like it was a few years back but still o.k. Outside of that there's not alot when the students are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hmmm Carrick on Shannon?
    I don't know about Sligo, have never been. Sorry.

This beggars belief. Someone comes on a Sligo forum enquiring about coming to Sligo and you offer "better alternatives" without ever visiting the place? Thanks for the vote of confidence. :mad:

OP, you've probably been and gone by now but there is fantastic nightlife in Sligo. Mc Hughs Bar and The Garavogue are both late night bars with live music and DJ's where for the majority of the time it's free in. There is a plethora of bars in the city center that have some of the best musicians you'll find anywhere (again free) try Hargadons, Mc Garrigles, Source, The Swagman and the aforementioned Garavogue.

There are three main nightclubs Toffs, Velvet Rooms and Pure, there used to be an age distinction but not so much during the summer months (I'm open to correction on this).

If you're on a weekend why not start your evening about 8k outside town in Strandhill where there are great restaurants and bars and usually early evening music 6pm - 9pm. Get a taxi back to Sligo then for the night.

If you're around in 2 weeks time (9th & 10th August) you're in for a treat as the Sligo Summer Festival gigs take place with the likes of Mundy, Sharon Shannon and Ryan Sheridan to name but a few all playing for free.

Sligo is a fantastic place to visit, you'll not be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ann_l12

Plazaman wrote: »
    This beggars belief. Someone comes on a Sligo forum enquiring about coming to Sligo and you offer "better alternatives" without ever visiting the place? Thanks for the vote of confidence. :mad:

OP, you've probably been and gone by now but there is fantastic nightlife in Sligo. Mc Hughs Bar and The Garavogue are both late night bars with live music and DJ's where for the majority of the time it's free in. There is a plethora of bars in the city center that have some of the best musicians you'll find anywhere (again free) try Hargadons, Mc Garrigles, Source, The Swagman and the aforementioned Garavogue.

There are three main nightclubs Toffs, Velvet Rooms and Pure, there used to be an age distinction but not so much during the summer months (I'm open to correction on this).

If you're on a weekend why not start your evening about 8k outside town in Strandhill where there are great restaurants and bars and usually early evening music 6pm - 9pm. Get a taxi back to Sligo then for the night.

If you're around in 2 weeks time (9th & 10th August) you're in for a treat as the Sligo Summer Festival gigs take place with the likes of Mundy, Sharon Shannon and Ryan Sheridan to name but a few all playing for free.

Sligo is a fantastic place to visit, you'll not be disappointed.

What nightclub would you suggest? Where is busiest nowadays? Also we are 20 and 21 age group. Is velvet room over 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ann_l12

ann_l12 wrote: »
    What nightclub would you suggest? Where is busiest nowadays? Also we are 20 and 21 age group. Is velvet room over 23?

Anyoneeee? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Toffs usually would be nearly full on. Saturday. Velvet is a good laugh i know they are 21 sometimes but i used to always get in when i was 20, both are decent spots

Advertisement