Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo FG TDs vote for Abortion Bill

Options
  • 11-07-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Mulherin and O'Mahoney for all their posturing vote for the abortion bill taken from here and here.

What rankles is that FG changed their pre election promise of not legislating for abortion and then depities MM and Johnno go through the motions of thinking it through, keeping their silence, considering their position etc etc etc. and then back down.

I have to admire Lucinda Creighton for standing up and be counted. Not sure if the people of Dublin South East will respect her for that. I think the Mayo public will recognise her and the courage of her convictions.

It is disappointing that some of her Mayo colleagues don't have the same courage and steadfastness in their beliefs and positions. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finisklin wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Mulherin and O'Mahoney for all their posturing vote for the abortion bill taken from here and here.

What rankles is that FG changed their pre election promise of not legislating for abortion and then depities MM and Johnno go through the motions of thinking it through, keeping their silence, considering their position etc etc etc. and then back down.

I have to admire Lucinda Creighton for standing up and be counted. Not sure if the people of Dublin South East will respect her for that. I think the Mayo public will recognise her and the courage of her convictions.

It is disappointing that some of her Mayo colleagues don't have the same courage and steadfastness in their beliefs and positions. :mad:

Enda had a gun to their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would be interesting if Lucinda stood against Enda in the next election.:) Would the pro-life vote in Mayo be high enough to get her home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Would be interesting if Lucinda stood against Enda in the next election.:) Would the pro-life vote in Mayo be high enough to get her home?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I have some sympathy for Luc C.s' POV that it is FG who have broken their pre-election commitment.

As regards Michelle M. and John O'M they could not lightly be thrown out of FG

Johnno has either to try Europe or go to Galway West to follow the votes swithched from Mayo. He is 100% dependent on FG for wither.

Michelle M had built up a base of voters thru various local authority elections.
    She might have got some extra prp-life votes going independent. However (a) the pro-life vote may not be as strong as previously. (b) calleary is also stated to be pro-life.

She was under duress. Sad. this issue should have been a free vote

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have to say Michelle M is very hard to listen to, she was on MWR the other morning and her ability to deliver her point is shocking poor for a public reprsentative. Don't know what she does for local politics/area up there in Ballina but she didn't impress me the other morning or on national radio yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

nuac wrote: »
    She was under duress. Sad. this issue should have been a free vote

Was not standing by her principles the right thing to do, as Lucinda did?

That's the problem with her - no character, fortitude or conviction.

This confirms what the other documented issues on here say about her - a political weakling.

yop wrote: »
    Have to say Michelle M is very hard to listen to, she was on MWR the other morning and her ability to deliver her point is shocking poor for a public reprsentative. Don't know what she does for local politics/area up there in Ballina but she didn't impress me the other morning or on national radio yesterday.

You should have seen her on the Brendan O'Connor show regarding her fornication comments - more fun watchin a turnip.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You should have seen her on the Brendan O'Connor show regarding her fornication comments - more fun watchin a turnip.

How does she manage to get voted in then? I presume the Ballina people can see that she is a bit "publicly dim"?

How does she manage to get voted in then? I presume the Ballina people can see that she is a bit "publicly dim"?

That's the interesting thing about the voting public.....if you have FG or FF after your name that's enough to get you in. Plus Mna Maigh Eo have taken her to her despite her ridiculous comments.

The next election will be a pantomine as she goes door to door having to explain to voters her fornication comments and lack of courage on the abortion bill. Mna Maigh Eo may test her mettle on those two....:rolleyes:

That's the interesting thing about the voting public.....if you have FG or FF after your name that's enough to get you in. Plus Mna Maigh Eo have taken her to her despite her ridiculous comments.

The next election will be a pantomine as she goes door to door having to explain to voters her fornication comments and lack of courage on the abortion bill. Mna Maigh Eo may test her mettle on those two....:rolleyes:

I think she is gone as it JOM. His reasoning during the week was spineless and against the so called principles he held.

In fairness to Lucinda Creighton she stood by what she told the people and her beliefs and has to be applauded.
    Enda has really gone down in my estimation with this "Vote for it or your gone" bully boy tactics. Where is the right to vote gone to?

Talk of LC forming a new party, I for one will be very interested in their offering, though suspect like them all, they will all fall into the same trough of BS which they all feed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭scuba8

Hi everyone,

It should be noted that FG did not get an overall majority. Their election manifesto had to be compromised to go into government in coalition with Labour. If they had got an overall majority went into government and then changed their policies then you could complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Couldn't agree more. What surprises me most is that the FG members who now vote against the government didn't bow out when the Programme for Government was agreed! Promises before the election are made on the presumption of an outright majority, without a majority pre-election promises cannot be upheld. Dont know why more wasnt made of this point recently. And they all knew what they were signing in the party pledge, so "in fairness" dosnt come into it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Oldtree wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. What surprises me most is that the FG members who now vote against the government didn't bow out when the Programme for Government was agreed! Promises before the election are made on the presumption of an outright majority, without a majority pre-election promises cannot be upheld. Dont know why more wasnt made of this point recently. And they all knew what they were signing in the party pledge, so "in fairness" dosnt come into it really.

Probably because Labour has taken an outright bashing on economic policy's in this government. FG coming out and saying Labour made us wouldn't float the boat for Labour. The coalition will crumble if they start pointing fingers and laying the blame on each other. They must appear to stand united on everything they bring forward in this Dail.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Enda has really gone down in my estimation with this "Vote for it or your gone" bully boy tactics. Where is the right to vote gone to?
    The party whip has been a fact of life in Irish politics since the year dot. I'm not a fan of it, but I'm equally not a fan of politicians who only discover that they have the capacity for independent thought when the party line is at odds with Catholic teachings.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The party whip has been a fact of life in Irish politics since the year dot. I'm not a fan of it, but I'm equally not a fan of politicians who only discover that they have the capacity for independent thought when the party line is at odds with Catholic teachings.

Party whip is a farce, why not let them vote with their principles, but I agree that they can't be surprised when they learn about it!

Eliminating the party whip wouldn't work as a stand-alone measure. It would have to happen in conjunction with other reforms of the electoral system, such as a partial list system, and more devolution of real power (including revenue-raising power) to local government. Which will never happen.

Eliminating the party whip wouldn't work as a stand-alone measure. It would have to happen in conjunction with other reforms of the electoral system, such as a partial list system, and more devolution of real power (including revenue-raising power) to local government. Which will never happen.

That would only be the sensible thing, so no it wont happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Interesting to note how both MM and JO'M are treated so differently by the local station,Midwestradio. MM was really pushed by the interviewer in both cases that I heard yet JO'M was treated very lightly,and yet both TDs are as guilty and as spinless as each other.Plain and simple MM will not be elected again.JO'M played the career card,he hadn't a hope of Europe without FG and after what he has done now he certainly hasn't a hope either.
    As an aside I wonder what the Catholic Church thinks of JO'Ms about turn,for as far as I know they fund Midwestradio who always give him an easy ride...and yet stick the dagger into MM!

ethical wrote: »
    Interesting to note how both MM and JO'M are treated so differently by the local station,Midwestradio. MM was really pushed by the interviewer in both cases that I heard yet JO'M was treated very lightly,and yet both TDs are as guilty and as spinless as each other.Plain and simple MM will not be elected again.JO'M played the career card,he hadn't a hope of Europe without FG and after what he has done now he certainly hasn't a hope either.
    As an aside I wonder what the Catholic Church thinks of JO'Ms about turn,for as far as I know they fund Midwestradio who always give him an easy ride...and yet stick the dagger into MM!

Mayo GAA audience are MWR core listeners....not Mna Maigh Eo. Plus MM has that gilded solicitor air about her what with fornication and all those words that nobody else uses, never mind understands. That's enough to turn Liammy, Claffey, Glennon and O'Malley off her for a start.

O'Mahoney would have been generous with his time to MWR during his days as boss of Mayo and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'd be shocked if Michelle Mulherin or John o Mahoney were re elected based on their performances thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think she is gone as it JOM. His reasoning during the week was spineless and against the so called principles he held.

In fairness to Lucinda Creighton she stood by what she told the people and her beliefs and has to be applauded.

Talk of LC forming a new party, I for one will be very interested in their offering, though suspect like them all, they will all fall into the same trough of BS which they all feed off.

Kenny had no choice but to apply the whip or he'd have faced far more TDs going overboard,he managed to limit the losses quite well.

I can't believe the cheek of Mulherin and her remarks about being truth to herself from here.

What about her constituents and the people who voted for her on the basis that FG wouldn't be legislating for abortion?

Far from a honest politician she is - she didn't have the courage of her convictions despite the window dressing of meeting with AG, Reilly and Inda on Tuesday.

Interesting contrast that LC didn't meet the Taoiseach on Tuesday - just Reilly.

MM is going to be bushwacked by the Mayo public during the next election's hustings.

There will be a lot of snipers in the long grass ballot box to remind her of her crass comments.

What about... the people who voted for her on the basis that FG wouldn't be legislating for abortion?
    Happily, those people are in a dwindling minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

A person can be anti-abortion on personal moral grounds, it may have nothing to do with Catholic teachings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

A person can be anti-abortion on personal moral grounds, it may have nothing to do with Catholic teachings

Theres the key word. Personal. Everyone has different morals and opinions. People can be anti abortion but still pro choice. Its all about respecting individuals right to choose for themselves. Pro choice respects and does what it says on the tin. Gives women the right to keep the baby or have a termination. Pro life denies people the independence to choose and thus forces its moral onto others.

The catholic church is the biggest religion here and is the only religion I believe who in Ireland advocate for a prohibition on abortion. They attempted to force this on people with Art 40.3.3in the 80's and they thought they won but it backfired in the X case in '92 and ended up giving women a constitutional right to termination with the threat of suicide. A 2002 referendum to reinstate the blanket prohibition and remove suicide clause from the constitution was defeated. Back then the signs read "Bertie keep your pro life promise".:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Based on MM and LC position and actions - Who do you have more respect for as a politician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Based on MM and LC position and actions - Who do you have more respect for as a politician?

Giant douche or a turd sandwich........... hard decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sick of both of them TBH. MM especially, with her sycophantic smarmy grovelling especially when there is a chance of a photo opportunity. Her performances in the media is squirmingly embarrassing and brings nothing but negative press to North Mayo.

When these idiots are elected are they not supposed to represent their constituents? I am not interested in her personal views on abortion, windfarms or fornication - She is MY voice in government and first and foremost should speak for the people of Ballina not her own rambling outdated views.

I am not Pro-life but respect the fact that if the majority of Mayo people don't want this legislation then she should have the courage to step away from FG and vote against it.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What about her constituents and the people who voted for her on the basis that FG wouldn't be legislating for abortion?

Far from a honest politician she is - she didn't have the courage of her convictions despite the window dressing of meeting with AG, Reilly and Inda on Tuesday.

Interesting contrast that LC didn't meet the Taoiseach on Tuesday - just Reilly.

MM is going to be bushwacked by the Mayo public during the next election's hustings.

There will be a lot of snipers in the long grass ballot box to remind her of her crass comments.

and what about them?? i would say the amount of people who did so would be absolutely minimal and anyway arent FF anti abortion too so its hardly a vote winner for FG. Also they are in coallition so you cant expect all pre election promises to be kept.
    Hi everyone,

Kenny and Ring obviously did. Why is it only pro lifers who have the courage of their convictions???

Advertisement