Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo FG TDs vote for Abortion Bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Talk of LC forming a new party, I for one will be very interested in their offering, though suspect like them all, they will all fall into the same trough of BS which they all feed off.

First ive heard of this. Anyway no need or place for another conservative party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

and what about them?? i would say the amount of people who did so would be absolutely minimal and anyway arent FF anti abortion too so its hardly a vote winner for FG. Also they are in coallition so you cant expect all pre election promises to be kept.

Kenny and Ring obviously did. Why is it only pro lifers who have the courage of their convictions???

LC didn't and stood by her convictions.....moral fibre, character and all that....interesting how LC interpreted the programme for government differently. Mna Maigh Eo will respect LC for this.....me I am sharpening the knives for the knock on the door come 2015.

finisklin wrote: »
    LC didn't and stood by her convictions.....moral fibre, character and all that....interesting how LC interpreted the programme for government differently. Mna Maigh Eo will respect LC for this.....me I am sharpening the knives for the knock on the door come 2015.

:confused: Im not sure what this is supposed to mean but you have quoted me yet didnt address my post

Anyway again i ask how come its only pro lifers that are credited with moral fibre, character etc????

:confused: Im not sure what this is supposed to mean but you have quoted me yet didnt address my post

Anyway again i ask how come its only pro lifers that are credited with moral fibre, character etc????

LC stood up and was counted on this issue within the political system and FG. This was a issue personal to her and one in which she wasn't prepared to compromise. Unfortunately other TDs put the party ahead of their own opinion/posturing.

The unfortunate problem with election promises is that people hold onto them like stones, ready to fire them back at the politicians when they get into government and change the terms of reference. Labour's mantra of labour's way or Franfurts way is one that springs to mind.

FG did a u turn on there abortion stance and LC has indicated this.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mna Maigh Eo will respect LC for this...
    Probably a minority of them, and a shrinking minority at that.

• Advertisement

LC stood up and was counted on this issue within the political system and FG. This was a issue personal to her and one in which she wasn't prepared to compromise. Unfortunately other TDs put the party ahead of their own opinion/posturing.

The unfortunate problem with election promises is that people hold onto them like stones, ready to fire them back at the politicians when they get into government and change the terms of reference. Labour's mantra of labour's way or Franfurts way is one that springs to mind.

FG did a u turn on there abortion stance and LC has indicated this.

It was you that referenced the pre election promise :confused:

Anyone that takes pre election promises seriously are pretty naive considering its almost inevitable we will have coalition govts for the foreseeable future.

As for mna Maigheo, i doubt this issue will figure too high when it comes to the next election though for me Mulherin and O'Mahony wont be getting a vote as they have indicated their anti pro choice beliefs

It was you that referenced the pre election promise :confused:

Lucinda raised it before me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

What's the problem here, they legislated (in a very restrictive fashion) in line with the Supreme Court decision, the ECJ rulings and at least two referenda? Fair play to them, I say.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    What's the problem here, they legislated (in a very restrictive fashion) in line with the Supreme Court decision, the ECJ rulings and at least two referenda? Fair play to them, I say.
    There will always be some for whom it's important that Ireland keep up the pretence of not having abortion available. It allows them to ignore the fact that a woman who really wants an abortion will find a way to procure one, whether it means having to travel to a different country, or to jeopardise her health by buying illegal and unregulated abortifacient drugs online.

For these people, the fact that women are prepared to risk their lives and health in order to terminate a pregnancy is secondary to their agenda; the fact that the constitution allows for abortion in the case of a risk to the life of the mother is secondary, as is the fact that the people voted twice not to close that constitutional loophole.

The only thing that matters is that their personal morality - informed, or otherwise, by Catholic dogma - means that they believe they have a right to dictate to women that they should have no right to make choices relating to their personal health, if there happens to be a fertilised egg involved.

That's what the problem is here.

Lucinda raised it before me.....

ha ha, you brought it into this thread saying it rankled with people when there is no evidence that it does. It may rankle with you but then maybe you should take your own advice re pre election promises

• Advertisement

Cleahaigh wrote: »

No problem at all among most people but as usual the catholic right cant accept the will of the people

ha ha, you brought it into this thread saying it rankled with people when there is no evidence that it does. It may rankle with you but then maybe you should take your own advice re pre election promises

I made the contrast with Mayo FG TDs and how they approached this decision. That's what rankles with me - the inconsistency.

BTW I didn't make any pre election promises.....

I made the contrast with Mayo FG TDs and how they approached this decision. That's what rankles with me - the inconsistency.

And what about all the other pre election promises that have been borken? Cuts to services that have been voted through? Where were their consciences then?
    BTW I didn't make any pre election promises.....

:rolleyes: Ok be childish if you want

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Pull the horns back in lads, keep it civil please

Advertisement