Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking a motorbike on a ferry

• 11-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am going to travel from Cherbourg to Rosslare with Irish Ferries. This is the first time I take a ferry and so of course the first time I will bring my motorbike on a ferry.

From what I read here: http://www.irishferries.com/en/faq/motorbikes/, there is not need for me to bring anything with me to secure the motorbike.

Nevertheless, if anyone has experience taking a ferry with a motorbike, does anyone know if it is advisable to also bring a chain lock?
    My common sense was telling me to not to but i called Irish ferries to check and the guy said i should. But i still cannot see why so maybe he just wanted to end the call and give me a quick answer... So I am a little confused now and I am looking for advise from people who has taken a ferry with a motorbike before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On the ferry all you'll need is an old piece of material, a towel, to protect your seat and panels from the tie down straps. The vehicle deck is locked when under way but make sure to take valuables off the bike to be sure or at least have secure locking luggage if leaving it on the bike. In saying that I forgot a cargo net when I was going over to France and someone had stuck it back onto my bike.

Not too sure which companies tie down for you or which you have to do it yourself, went from Cork to France and was tied down on the way back Roscoff to Rosslare had to tie down myself.

You'll need a chain and lock for where ever you end up, to secure the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BrusselsSprout

I live in Dublin and already purchased a chain here. But my motorbike is in Belgium so the purpose of the trip is to bring back to bike here in Dublin - I am flying to Belgium and will drive the motorbike back to Ireland. To not have to carry extra weight I was thinking to not take a chain with me (I have a naked bike and so no storage area and I would like to minimize the weight in my backpack).

From what you did not use any chain lock on the ferry isn't it? So I will not bring any and save myself some weight.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

PS: regarding securing the motorbike, from what I read on Irish Ferries website we have to do it ourselves but can ask assistance from the crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I went Irish Ferries Rosslare to Pembroke last year and returned same route and they tied the bike down and even had old off cuts of carpet to put onto the bike to save any damage.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have heard some horror stories of bikes getting damaged all the same...the more padding you have the better especially for full faired bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fergus.

They normally put the strap across the seat area, i would however suggest what the other person above said bring a thick towel and put it under the strap as they put it on the bike for you, your bike will be left on the side stand strapped down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They often ratchet the bike down way too hard too, which could pop a fork seal. You only need to strap the bike down just enough to stop it moving (leave it on the sidestand in gear.)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Maybe bring a cable tie for the front brake....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Put your gloves under the rachet straps to stop the straps digging in.
    Bike in 1st gear on side stand, and strapped across the seat to a hook on the floor each side. put something in front and behind the tyre and the Bike will not move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm just back from a trip around Wales and Stenaline have pads for placing between the seat and the strap. The crew strapped the bike down but there was no problem if you wanted to do it or double check it yourself.
    I brought a small towel incase they didn't have enough padding just to be safe.

I also just cable tied the catches on my luggage as more of a deterrent as I didn't have proper locks for it. For next trip I'll buy something to secure it better and the helmet to the bike. Was a pain carrying the helmet around the ship. Also be handy for when you're off sightseeing.

Hi all,

Thanks all for your advise. I will definitely bring in some padding as most of you advise me.
    As for a chain lock, nobody used it on board of the ferry isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

not advising not bringing one at all on your trip - but wouldnt have thought it necessary to use it on the ferry... am I being silly, or is there nowhere from them to take it like?

I was thinking the same as you, I don't know why the guy on the phone at Irish Ferries told me to bring a chain lock, it sounded silly indeed and that is the reason I asked the question here to see opinions of people having done the crossing.

Thanks all for the advises.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

by the look of things most of the above never took there bike on a ferry.the ferry staff will put a large piece of foam on the saddle for you.
    you dont need to lock your bike but if you feel more comfortable then do so but dont alarm it because it will go off and you will be plagued by the staff.

used different ferries last year and no issues on any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was thinking the same as you, I don't know why the guy on the phone at Irish Ferries told me to bring a chain lock, it sounded silly indeed and that is the reason I asked the question here to see opinions of people having done the crossing.

Maybe he though you would be using it after you got off the ferry. I don't even think there'd be anything to lock onto as most of the bike places are a good distance from a bulkhead.
    dbmauser wrote: »
    by the look of things most of the above never took there bike on a ferry.the ferry staff will put a large piece of foam on the saddle for you.

Of the 3 ferries I got with a bike there was never any foam put under the straps by any staff.

Hi,

I am back from the ferry crossing with Irish Ferries from Cherbourg to Rosslare. So just to share information:
    - There is indeed no need of any sort of lock on the ferry itself.
    - The staff attached the biked carefully to the ferry and put some piece of carpet on the seat as well as wherever the cable used would touch the bike (he did it pretty carefully and took his time). I brought my own old towel in case there was no protection given but it turned out unnecessary. My bike traveled undamaged.

Thanks all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hi,

I am back from the ferry crossing with Irish Ferries from Cherbourg to Rosslare. So just to share information:
    - There is indeed no need of any sort of lock on the ferry itself.
    - The staff attached the biked carefully to the ferry and put some piece of carpet on the seat as well as wherever the cable used would touch the bike (he did it pretty carefully and took his time). I brought my own old towel in case there was no protection given but it turned out unnecessary. My bike traveled undamaged.

Thanks all again.
    I have taken a few ferries now, between Hollyhead and Dublin, Hollyhead and Dun Loghaire, Liverpool and Belfast, Portsmouth Caen, Portsmouth Le Harve and I have never brough anything. On every ferry the guys tying the bike down have used blocks of foam, or some such, to protect the bike.

I park the bike, get off leaving it on the side stand in first, take whatever I am taking into the boat out of my panniers and walk away. These guys are professionals and I have never had a problem.

MrP

Advertisement