Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead tree?

• 11-07-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭

Hi Forestry peeps. First time in here but would really appreciate your help on this.

We have 3 beautiful trees in our estate (I'm 5 1/2 years here) and this evening have noticed that one of them is in bits. A massive branch came off it, leaves are dead/dying and it literally looks like it's gone. :(

I have no idea of the species but here's the pic.

Can anyone shed any light? I LOVE these 3 trees and would hate to lose the other 2. The Mgt Co. hasn't mentioned this....and I would be devastated to lose the other 2. Is this inevitable if this one is not doing good? Tree 1 (not healthy) Tree 2 (healthy)
    nncv.jpg

This is what one of the other 2 healthy trees look like:
    w75p.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

The one with the branch on the ground is a copper beech-crown looks a bit thin. The bottom one looks like Spanish Chestnut. The center photo I can't quite make out but possibly holm oak
    The chestnut seems fine, and probably the beech is old and the development of houses and traffic would not be conducive to good health. However no reason why the other trees would be affected.
    You should call the County Council guys and have them look at it-before the management company decides to chop the beech on health and safety grounds- it's possible that surgery could deal with diseased limbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Very difficult to diagnose from the photos, but i would say that if all 3 are affected and they are older than the estate then it is very possibly that the trees were damaged during the building of the estate by not being cordoned off appropiatly during construction and also by the landscaping right up to the base after construction finished. Both of these can damage bot the support and feeder roots of the trees and the symptoms of the damage can show up years later.

It would need on site professional assessment and I would doubt that anyone on the council has a suitable qualification to do so, you need an arborist to assess them and to give you an opinion.

Advertisement