Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Dog suits my needs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

OffalyLad wrote: »
    Thanks but I don't think they'd be suitable

Just be aware that JRT's are similar in temperament and also need more then 30 minutes a day exercise. The JR I have will actually kill the cats he lives with. They stay well out of his way. I have had other JR's who were fine with cats. The rough haired Jacks also need their coat stripped. I see people have mentioned an older dog. Some older terriers will not live with cats.

These small terriers often live to their late teens so it is a bigger commitment then if you get a larger shorter lived breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OffalyLad

Knine wrote: »
    Just be aware that JRT's are similar in temperament and also need more then 30 minutes a day exercise. The JR I have will actually kill the cats he lives with. They stay well out of his way. I have had other JR's who were fine with cats. The rough haired Jacks also need their coat stripped. I see people have mentioned an older dog. Some older terriers will not live with cats.

These small terriers often live to their late teens so it is a bigger commitment then if you get a larger shorter lived breed.

See getting along with the cat is a huge factor, as I don't want to upset the cat who's nearly 8 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

With rescue dogs you'll often be told how they interact with cats. They generally do their utmost to give all the info and history they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

would def recommend the rescue route, if you are going to college soon - you can bond with it and exercise it from day 1 - and you would not be leaving a small pup to be trained by your parents, if you are the main person interested in having a dog? as other posters have said, if you get a rescue, then you will definately know if the dog is cat-friendly, so your resident cat wont be put out. There are some super young dogs waiting for a new home at rescues, if you and your family arent too pushed about having a puppy vs more mature dog. I too would highly recommend a JRT )but then Im totally biased)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

We had a JRT and cat that slept on the sofa together.

The dog had pups and after a few weeks the pups were noisy at night so I put them and the dog out to sleep in a big box in the shed at night.
    Now the cat could get in the house when it wanted but it slept in the box with the dog and pups in the shed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Brown eyed girl 4

Why don't you visit and talk to a rescue centre? The <snip> are very helpful.
    BTW, puppies are very difficult you would be better off leaving that stage behind and getting a 1 or 2 year old dog.

Read the document on "love dogs hate my job" on boards before buying!

Please do not recommend individual rescues by name on-thread, as per the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Why don't you visit and talk to a rescue centre? The <snip> are very helpful.
    BTW, puppies are very difficult you would be better off leaving that stage behind and getting a 1 or 2 year old dog.

Read the document on "love dogs hate my job" on boards before buying!

Please do not recommend individual rescues by name on-thread, as per the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB
    [/QUOTE

The rescue path is a great way to go, But the puppies years are fantastic too i have done both, but the involvement needed in the pup's first very months is very important and great enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I wanted a dog myself (cat owner) some years ago, and researched about the whole cat/ dog thing, as I did not want to be putting the cats noses out of joint. And I love them too much to upet them! Anyway, I found the pug comes reccomended. They don't have the same 'chase that' instinct as the terriers , apparantly.
    But they're def not suited to living outdoors. I didn't get one personally because of the expense. Lovely dogs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

zef wrote: »
    Hi, I wanted a dog myself (cat owner) some years ago, and researched about the whole cat/ dog thing, as I did not want to be putting the cats noses out of joint. And I love them too much to upet them! Anyway, I found the pug comes reccomended. They don't have the same 'chase that' instinct as the terriers , apparantly.
    But they're def not suited to living outdoors. I didn't get one personally because of the expense. Lovely dogs though!

My oldest dog is 6 we introduced a cat a few weeks ago and all was fine best of buddies, Should be easy for you while the dog is young, Chose a dog that you want at a young age the dog and cat will build a relationship together.

We have four dogs, One cat, One rabbit all spent the whole day together in the house and backyard unsupervised, we bring them all to the forest and have a special lead for the rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OffalyLad

I have come to the conclusion that I will wait until next summer in order to be able to train the dog fully and to have housing for him also as I am busy at the moment, Thanks for your help posters. I will keep you updated

• Advertisement
Advertisement