Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palms - Chino + ex ISIS

Options
  • 11-07-2013 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone check out their album?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Yes, I did. I mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to this release for a while. I'm a fan of both Chino and Isis, so I was keen to see how an Isis-esque atmosphere would meld with Chino's sense of melody.

I heard the single 'Patagonia' first, and I liked it. It wasn't the sound I was expecting, in that, as their bassist Jeff Caxide describes it, it's closer to vein of pop music than anything they've ever done, and I felt the track had a hallmark of Chino's haunting aesthetic.

The rest of the album is along those same lines, but it never surpasses 'Patagonia' in terms of memorability imo. I like the album's opening guitar riff and the melodic vocals that accompany it, "the closer, I am, I notice something's wrong". Other particularly notable moments I can think of are on the final track, its beginning has a nice ambient essence to it and Chino sounds mellow and spacey.

I'd say the album is worth a listen if you like Chino and/or Isis, but overall I was a little underwhelmed with it after what I thought was a very promising single in 'Patagonia'.

Anybody else give it a listen, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Maye83 wrote: »
    Yes, I did. I mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to this release for a while. I'm a fan of both Chino and Isis, so I was keen to see how an Isis-esque atmosphere would meld with Chino's sense of melody.

I heard the single 'Patagonia' first, and I liked it. It wasn't the sound I was expecting, in that, as their bassist Jeff Caxide describes it, it's closer to vein of pop music than anything they've ever done, and I felt the track had a hallmark of Chino's haunting aesthetic.

The rest of the album is along those same lines, but it never surpasses 'Patagonia' in terms of memorability imo. I like the album's opening guitar riff and the melodic vocals that accompany it, "the closer, I am, I notice something's wrong". Other particularly notable moments I can think of are on the final track, its beginning has a nice ambient essence to it and Chino sounds mellow and spacey.

I'd say the album is worth a listen if you like Chino and/or Isis, but overall I was a little underwhelmed with it after what I thought was a very promising single in 'Patagonia'.

Anybody else give it a listen, what did you think?

Ya, that was the first track I heard and ordered the album on the strength of it but underwhelming is an apt description. The rest of the album just meanders a bit too much for me. Not enough memorable stuff on it. Might have a different opinion had I heard another track first.

Advertisement