Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airplay on AppleTV very laggy / choppy?

• 11-07-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just bought a new Apple TV unit. Everything is working fine apart from when I try to stream audio over the AirPlay. It gets very laggy/choppy/distorted and then drops out.

Oddly enough playing video, youtube etc., works fine. Just seems to be audio and sometimes the mirroring.

Any suggestions? Could it by my routers? I'm using one of those free ones Magnet give you so I can't configure it.

Thank in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

.ak wrote: »
    I'm just bought a new Apple TV unit. Everything is working fine apart from when I try to stream audio over the AirPlay. It gets very laggy/choppy/distorted and then drops out.

Oddly enough playing video, youtube etc., works fine. Just seems to be audio and sometimes the mirroring.

Any suggestions? Could it by my routers? I'm using one of those free ones Magnet give you so I can't configure it.

Thank in advance!

Most likely the router .... an airport express might be a worthy purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really? Why? Seems like an additional cost for something I already have the function of? If it's the router then surely buying a better router, or wire the apple tv to it?

Nope, just Audio.

Funny tho if I stream a video it works fine...

I reckon it is the router tho. Explains the choppiness of it. I'll tinker around with the router later, maybe try and get it closer to the apple TV and/or wire it to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

.ak wrote: »
    Nope, just Audio.

Funny tho if I stream a video it works fine...

I reckon it is the router tho. Explains the choppiness of it. I'll tinker around with the router later, maybe try and get it closer to the apple TV and/or wire it to it.

Yeah try running a network cable from the router to the ATV - might make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

yeeeesss! I have this problem too and could never find the answer.
    Seems to be only after I upgraded to ios6 and only audio.

Interested to see if there is a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I got mine replaced in the 'recall', maybe check your serial number. They had the same problem when checked in store

I got mine replaced in the 'recall', maybe check your serial number. They had the same problem when checked in store

Is there a list of batch numbers anywhere to check?

Not off the top of my head. Found it on google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I didn't have any problems until ios6 though. Same box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I had the same problem with audio back when i got an atv3 first. posted a thread on here about it.
    It seemed to fix itself, i did search everywhere for an answer but no one had a concrete answer. It was incredibly annoying so i do feel your pain & hopefully it fixes 'itself' for you too.

• Advertisement

This has the serials:
    http://m.tuaw.com/2013/04/16/a-small-number-of-apple-tvs-eligible-for-replacement-due-to-wi-f/

Mine was replaced free under this for an issue with sound

Sweet, I'll grab a cat5 cable and try hooking it up to the router to eliminate the wifi possibility, will let ye's know how I get on. I'll check the serial in the meantime too.

Worth noting that it was not easy to get through to apple but I did and refused to pay a service charge.had to bring it to blanchardstown and if they replicated the problem then they would replace. Service guy told me he'd hang on to it to test it and give me a ring but would plug it in first just to see. Plugged it into one of the displays in the shop and it threw a complete wobbler so immediately shipped to apple, no further testing. Only irritating bit was that the replacement was shipped to blanch not my home address

So just an update. I bought a decent router (Linksys EA2700) and it fixed all my problems. Just seems the crappy telnet router you get with Magnet isn't worth it's salt.

Advertisement