Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

tossy wrote: »
    DO BMW use pleather or leather? Don't like the look/feel of the leather in a lot of them.

They use different types of leather finishes and even animal's skin and also leatherette.
    Buffalo, nappa etc leather have been available for years on BMW cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

bmstuff wrote: »
    They use different types of leather finishes and even animal's skin and also leatherette.
    Buffalo, nappa etc leather have been available for years on BMW cars.

I would imagine there are a few types alright, i've some that look good but others that look awful. Probably not just treated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

tossy wrote: »
    I would imagine there are a few types alright, i've some that look good but others that look awful. Probably not just treated well.

Many have leatherette which looks good still years after years with minimum cleaning and protection as this is vinyl but it looks flat and lifeless.
    Real leather looks better but an expensive option usually. And a lot more care necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

14321333372_369b69cf19_c.jpg

14136471359_80f94ab975_c.jpg

14321336382_0f82b13212_c.jpg

14319790011_b29d986097_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Lowered? looks well but finish the trim restorer and get new plates. It's in perfect condition then.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Lowered? looks well but finish the trim restorer and get new plates. It's in perfect condition then.

It's not lowered yet, although it looks kinda low in the pictures. :P

I'll save up some moneys and get coilovers eventually. Yep, I need to restore the front trim as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GvidoR wrote: »
    It's not lowered yet, although it looks kinda low in the pictures. :P

I'll save up some moneys and get coilovers eventually. Yep, I need to restore the front trim as well.

What did you use to clean the head lights?

What did you use to clean the head lights?

Water, sandpaper and wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Water, sandpaper and wax.

Would sand paper not scratch it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Would sand paper not scratch it up?

2500grit, wet, be grand.

• Advertisement

2500 will just polish it up and make it look better if they're already in a fairly good condition. I started with wet 600 and then finished with 2000 grit. After sanding, waxed them and buffed with a microfibre cloth and boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I've used 2000 grit followed by Meguiars ultimate compound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No sandpaper will polish anything other than metal without requiring refinishing (compounding). Reason being, you're physically removing parts of whatever it is you're sanding. In terms of things usually wet sanded on a car (paint, headlight plastic) this is very much true, you're removing material leaving essentially gouges due to the grit.

Using rubbing compound after you can remove these by levelling the surface (like finer better controlled sandpaper).

If you look closely at this picture you can clearly see scratch marks from the sanding.

14136471359_80f94ab975_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Should have tried the old Tesco Everyday Value toothpaste first, that worked a treat for me in the past

Sure the headlights didn't turn out perfect but they're much better than before.

Also, today gave the car a clean using the good old 2 bucket method. :P

14143592117_0849700395_c.jpg

14143485760_9b74076a61_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why didn't you get one of the headlight restoration kits. Done it on a load of badly fogged lights which came out as new also seal it.

Why didn't you get one of the headlight restoration kits. Done it on a load of badly fogged lights which came out as new also seal it.

Maybe in the future, they look good the way they are now.

Now it's dry and I moved up the licence plate up a bit higher so it's flush with the indent, and also re-blacked the front trim. The bottom pieces may need to be resprayed.

14144507248_6f0b52e404_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I agree with using the toothpaste on the headlights I've done it myself. The other tip is use a bit of wd40 on the reg plates. They come up a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Maybe in the future, they look good the way they are now.

Now it's dry and I moved up the licence plate up a bit higher so it's flush with the indent, and also re-blacked the front trim. The bottom pieces may need to be resprayed.

image here

That car is really coming up a treat so clean for its age. Is it much harder on petrol than the colt what engine size was that 1.4 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Sure the headlights didn't turn out perfect but they're much better than before.

Also, today gave the car a clean using the good old 2 bucket method. :P

14143592117_0849700395_c.jpg

Is that a sponge i see in your bucket???? :eek:

Hal1 wrote: »
    The other tip is use a bit of wd40 on the reg plates. They come up a treat.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and it did seem to help. Not mind-blowingly well, but then again they are old plates.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    That car is really coming up a treat so clean for its age. Is it much harder on petrol than the colt what engine size was that 1.4 ?

Colt was 1.3

The Bora is 1.6 and it seems fairly similar on petrol so far, perhaps a little more 'thirsty' though. I will get new oil and filters for it in the next few days so that might help it a bit.
    Is that a sponge i see in your bucket???? :eek:

Umm, yea. What else was I supposed to wash the car with? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

IF you're going to bother using the 2 bucket method, then you should use a mitt of some sort.

Something like this:

microfiber-madness-incrimitt.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and it did seem to help. Not mind-blowingly well, but then again they are old plates.

Colt was 1.3

The Bora is 1.6 and it seems fairly similar on petrol so far, perhaps a little more 'thirsty' though. I will get new oil and filters for it in the next few days so that might help it a bit.

Nobody on here is mad enough to use a sponge it is all micro fibre mitts and micro fibre this.
    Remember said to you before look up detailing section.

I do have a pair of those mitts but they I don't really like them so much. :D

You can get a sponge type but it is microfibre material on it.

much better then sponge as sponge isn't good on the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

IF you're going to bother using the 2 bucket method, then you should use a mitt of some sort.

Something like this:

microfiber-madness-incrimitt.jpg
    Nobody on here is mad enough to use a sponge it is all micro fibre mitts and micro fibre this.
    Remember said to you before look up detailing section.
    I do have a pair of those mitts but they I don't really like them so much. :D

Like the guys said, we're all microfibre mad! Sponges can grab dirt and drag it across your paint.
    If you dont like mitts try a microfibre wash noodle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

From my not yet extensive research I think that a lot of wash and dry swirls are caused by improper technique rather than the wash equipment. I think that people start using washmitts around the same time as they start using the 2BM. I think that it's a lot more to do with the 2BM than the sponge.

I say that my research is not extensive yet but my plan is to fully correct the Primera and then on one panel only wash it with a sponge, on another a brush only and a wash mitt on the rest all with a 2BM. I'm only going to wash in an up and down motion and dry everywhere in the same way with a MF towel. Then after a number of washes I'll see if there is a noticeable difference in the amount of swirls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Having left cork yesterday at 0700, today I arrived in Cologne.
    105mph in a 1.6 avensis with five adults and a boot full of stuff. One of my travelling companions said he took a pic of the speedo. Will post it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Having left cork yesterday at 0700, today I arrived in Cologne.
    105mph in a 1.6 avensis with five adults and a boot full of stuff. One of my travelling companions said he took a pic of the speedo. Will post it tomorrow.

If thats true I would suggest keep it off the net anything 100 or over is licence gone.

Advertisement