Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

If thats true I would suggest keep it off the net anything 100 or over is licence gone.

seeing as how he's now in Cologne i'm guessing this was done on ze Autobahn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

seeing as how he's now in Cologne i'm guessing this was done on ze Autobahn

Ah well then speed away:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

The Summer brings car servicing and projects for me. I did a rear brake calliper replacement a week or two back, but today it gets serious!

I repaired a damaged license plate light!!! Doesn't sound like a biggy but at 1.25am, trying to get the light out quietly makes me look like a robber. Doing it loudly makes me a bad neighbour or a bad robber. . . Add to that the legendary Volkswagen door shut quality, which may as well be a cannon shot in a silent housing estate.

Stealthy service none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got wheels aligned at a garage this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

So 2 blocked scuttle drains resulted in water getting into the car a few days ago. 2010 Grand Scenic, Why oh why do Renault deem overflowing INTO the car a sensible option?

Anyway, I took off the wheel arch liners and cleared them both then set about drying the interior carpet which was very wet.

The problem was complicated by the sound insulation which was saturated, the only way it would ever dry would be to remove it all. So out with my trusty trim clip removal tools. A job like this is SO much easier and quicker than trying prise them out with anything else.

pry.jpg

Seats out (only 4 bolts each and an electrical connector). Then all the plastic trim and I can get the carpets up.The Scenic has quite a complex, plastic raised floor so this needs to be folded back, which then reveals the sound proofing.

IMG_20140531_135115.jpg

I pulled all the soundproofing out, thankfully it was all in separate smaller sheets. It was SATURATED, and never would have dried any other way. Rang it out and tumbled dried it. While that was happening dried out all the nooks and crannies I could access.

IMG_20140531_135139.jpg

Let the car air and then put it all back together. I was impressed at how well everything fit together and decent clips meant that none broke. The engineering and fit was impressive, maybe Renault know you will need to remove them all at some stage. :rolleyes:

I was concerned that the water could cause electrical mayhem but noticed that nearly all the electrical connectors and wiring loom are not attached to the floor, but are routed a few inches above it. Smart move if water does get in.

Very satisfying days work and felt happy that a professional would not have done much better. Car is bone dry again, with be clearing those scuttle drain holes every year!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry YbFocus, but I had to...

14343884171_ab7128456f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Here's me super surprised by how well that actually looks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

YbFocus wrote: »
    Here's me super surprised by how well that actually looks :)

You and me both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ohh me like! I'm assuming you took the grille out to spray it?

Got creative with a spray can myself today!

Thanks Noccy. :)

Yes, I took out the grille and I also took out the VW badge. I didn't want to spray over the carbon fibre, heheh.... what did you spray today? Any pics?

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    Thanks Noccy. :)

Yes, I took out the grille and I also took out the VW badge. I didn't want to spray over the carbon fibre, heheh.... what did you spray today? Any pics?

Few different bits and bobs on the pajero over the past few days. Mainly where rust was starting to show its mug. I have a few pics, will throw them up later.

New plates and cabin filter.
    As the genius Ed China from Wheeler Dealers says "Measure twice, cut once"
    Dont do what i did. As is measure once, drill a load of holes and make a balls of the plate. Luckily the local motor factors are a sound bunch and didnt charge for the third plate :o

20140605_135314_zpsiaav2dgp.jpg

New cabin filter in

20140605_144834_zpspkfcemr9.jpg

US look :pac:

20140605_141533_zpslylemb3t.jpg

And done. Even managed to get the dead daddy long legs that has been inside my headlight for years according to previous owner. God bless Hubert Cecil Booth for inventing the tool i needed :D

20140605_162227_zpscztblyxg.jpg

Yeah, it's nice how in some states in the US you don't need the licence plate displayed on the front of the car. When there is no recess/indent, it looks better without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

The seal on my sunroof was not as tight as it should be. No leaks yet, but the glass was rattling as i drove. Ran some rubber tubing insise to plump it up, worked a treat.

Also changed the indicator relay, which was on its last legs. The incessant ticking as I drove was driving me bat sh1t crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi spike just wondering why not just use double sided tape to fix plates. No holes.

:eek: Where is the infamous merc badge. How are you supposed to know it's a mercedes without the badge! :pac:

Hi spike just wondering why not just use double sided tape to fix plates. No holes.

Why didnt i think of that? :mad:
    Tbh the rear has raised screwholders to hold the plate but the front would have been handy. Might do the front.
    :eek: Where is the infamous merc badge. How are you supposed to know it's a mercedes without the badge! :pac:

Flat badge. So it can't be yanked off. :D
    Looks sleeker too imo

Has the star on the back. But that's all. It was factory debadged

14167839157_ff18b43e2d_c.jpg

14167694758_5165912698_c.jpg

14167845107_87a54422cc_c.jpg

14167692798_e6e22c00a2_c.jpg

14353458724_4579145d8c_c.jpg

14331208616_f73d9ce01c_c.jpg

Looks factory.......

YbFocus wrote: »
    Looks factory.......

Does that mean I can leave it there for the NCT?

• Advertisement

Course you can, why couldn't you?

Gaaaaaawwwwwwwwwp (gear change) ggaaaaawwwwwpp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

At the TT at the mo. You should hear them changing at full throttle with quickshifters.

Whats the name of that plastic coat paint.

Looking for white on ebay

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Whats the name of that plastic coat paint.

Looking for white on ebay

Plasti dip?

Yep that stuff.

is the ones from cleancar.ie the same stuff.

Can be abit iffy getting from the uk isnt it?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Yep that stuff.

is the ones from cleancar.ie the same stuff.

Can be abit iffy getting from the uk isnt it?

Yeah, cleancar.ie have the real plasti dip.

I got a can of it from UK and it was fine, however a can of caliper paint was stopped and disposed of by the customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

So, until my new exhaust manifold arrives, there isn't anything to do on the MG mechanically, so I decided to tidy up the interior a bit. Just a quick hoover of the carpet and I cleaned the leather. Its not perfect, but it will do for the time. Eventually I'll take out the seats and carpet and give them both a good clean. Also, I'm aware of the massive gear stick, its from the donor car, I have to cut it down, I'd probabl end up punching myself in the face changing gear if I left it like that :pac:
    14375146553_062a78cf9b_z.jpg14375146163_11e904ca9a_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I know this should be in the detailing forum but it's just a few pics. I haven't done anything to the car yet. Right so I got my foam lance with karcher fitting from DS (thanks Curran). The only problem is I have a powercraft washer. I heard the karcher fitting can be modified by filing the tabs down. I didn't want to do that and taught of a few ways of avoid it. I may yet buy a k2 karcher. I decided the best approach was to open the gun on the power washer and it's held together with 8 torx bit screws.

The pics can do the talking...

The lance
    20140605_220117.jpg

The lance and powercraft gun
    20140605_220332.jpg

My weapon of choice
    20140605_233501.jpg

Snug as a bug
    20140605_233523.jpg

I will try and remember some before and after pics. All I need now is some dry weather :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Spent two or three hours fitting an outer CV boot clip yesterday on the mothers car. 3 minutes fitting the clip and the rest removing a broken wheel bolt. Nothing's ever easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Pumped the tyres.

Landed her in Vienna today. Hasnt been so much as a cough out of the car. 1700 miles since Sunday.

Advertisement