Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Ya I know you shouldn't. But the seat belt alarm is set to a very low speed. And doesnt go off when you stop again.

Had a quick look and test. Seems contacts together alarm. Contacts apart it thinks belt is in. So slight bend and alarm disabled. Makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Ya I know you shouldn't. But the seat belt alarm is set to a very low speed. And doesnt go off when you stop again.

Had a quick look and test. Seems contacts together alarm. Contacts apart it thinks belt is in. So slight bend and alarm disabled. Makes me happy.

I thought that warning was triggered by sensors in the seat? I know mine is, whenever I leave my bag on the passenger seat it goes off, sometimes mid journey :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

A lot of cars don't even have that alarm, and I can see how it can be annoying so I don't see anything wrong in disabling it. :)

I thought that warning was triggered by sensors in the seat? I know mine is, whenever I leave my bag on the passenger seat it goes off, sometimes mid journey :mad:

Nope very basic system

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends on the car, can be a combination of both. Yours obviously has an occupancy sensor with a threshold (that your bag keeps setting off), and a second sensor in the seatbelt tensioner.

• Advertisement

Yup. My own cars seatbelt warning alarm is in the buckle. Doesn't bother me, putting on a seatbelt is second nature at this stage. My sisters kia has weight sensors in the seats though. Stupid technology in the kia

Yup. My own cars seatbelt warning alarm is in the buckle. Doesn't bother me, putting on a seatbelt is second nature at this stage. My sisters kia has weight sensors in the seats though. Stupid technology in the kia

I do alot of popping round estates. Supplyers yards. I wouldn't mind if it let ya 10mph but minute the speedo registers a speed it goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Old iDrive single button controller to the latest controller with 7 buttons retrofit.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG

Rough cut getting there.

7.JPG
    8.JPG

Messy job

9.JPG
    10.JPG

Turned out very nice.

11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG

Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter and did a check of the front of the car (cv boots, front brake pads, belts, fluids, tyres, suspension and a bit more).

Was all fine except the fuel filter. First time doing it, was a royal pain in the balls, tough getting close to it and really slow to unscrew the bolt underneath.

Herself says theres a rattle from front left.

found caliper abit seized up. Stripped cleaned greased and reassembled. All in half a hour.

Her response. Im late over ya.

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Herself says theres a rattle from front left.

found caliper abit seized up. Stripped cleaned greased and reassembled. All in half a hour.

Her response. Im late over ya.

You sure she didn't mean in another way? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So, on the first of this month I met some friends in Cork City. We drove to Dun Laoghaire in my avensis and got the boat to Hollyhead. We drove to Folkstone and then got the train to Calais. We then drove to Dunkirk, Ghent, Cologne, Nuremburg, Budapest, Vienna, Mieders, Munich, Stuttgart, Luxembourg, Nantes and Brest and Roscoff. All in we did about 3700 miles in 13 days.

The car didnt burn a drop of oil and the only flaw she had was that one of the screenwash jets got clogged up, which I fixed today.

She is quite dirty now though. Will give her a clean in the next few days and post a before and after pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Replaced fog light and a running light at the back. Buying new tail lights tomorrow to replace the cracked one, aren't around the next 2 weeks but hope to chqnge everything during a full service along with some visual mods ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

rizzee wrote: »
    Replaced fog light and a running light at the back. Buying new tail lights tomorrow to replace the cracked one, aren't around the next 2 weeks but hope to chqnge everything during a full service along with some visual mods ;)

Keep talking....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Surprise :D let's just say, after I service and change the plates, the interior will be something absolutely different, without replacing the original seats ;)

All the above sorted within the next month, after that, slowly but surely, we'll have coils, tints and deflectors...

As you can see I plan on keeping the car... (for longer than the colt anyway :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

So, on the first of this month I met some friends in Cork City. We drove to Dun Laoghaire in my avensis and got the boat to Hollyhead. We drove to Folkstone and then got the train to Calais. We then drove to Dunkirk, Ghent, Cologne, Nuremburg, Budapest, Vienna, Mieders, Munich, Stuttgart, Luxembourg, Nantes and Brest and Roscoff. All in we did about 3700 miles in 13 days.

The car didnt burn a drop of oil and the only flaw she had was that one of the screenwash jets got clogged up, which I fixed today.

She is quite dirty now though. Will give her a clean in the next few days and post a before and after pic.

ehhh .. brought over continental dust over here ??? :pac: lol

nice trip though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Lower wishbone out.

5fqc5l.jpg

358norc.jpg

Mangled bushin, the source of the knock I'd say!
    2n6zx3m.jpg

The rest of it still in the wishbone. A real hammer, a screwdriver and plenty of ignorance got the two of them out.
    2v96c6e.jpg

34mm impact socket and a bit of patience got the new ones in.
    2e1c64o.jpg

wishbone back in with a new bottom ball joint and onto the top ball joint.

3149zxe.jpg

34dsumf.jpg

I got a loan of this lad. It can both push out and pull in the top ball joint if you change over the brass coloured bits.
    21508zt.jpg

Line it up square.
    2u8frm9.jpg

2mwo5g.jpg

2iw1wdh.jpg

First day on the job! Bent the screw taking off the lower ball joint and snapped a leg trying to get the camber plate off the top one.
    2vnrtpk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wrong size battery replacement: the photostory.

Old battery still in place:

1oldbattonplace.jpg

Battery compartment before:

2battout.jpg

Old vs. new:

3batoldvsnewfront.jpg

4batoldvsnewsides.jpg

Battery compartment after:

5newtray.jpg

And modified bracket. Old vs. new:

6bracketoldvsnew.jpg

7newbracket.jpg

Result:

8newbatteryin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Cleaned the interior so it doesn't look like I use the Bora to bring cattle to the market. :pac:

14429652795_13718e9a5f_c.jpg

14243055060_5cf6378ec3_c.jpg

Fixed the cup holder... don't have any in-progress pics because honestly I didn't think that I was going to be able to work... it was jammed, wouldn't retract and open up, but I'm so glad it works perfectly now. :)

14429651075_6a892ef419_c.jpg

Also sorted the cup holder in the back. It wasn't opening up and that was because of that thing on top was stuck in it and there was also some goo type stuff that it was barely sliding.

14243199167_20c90ddba4_c.jpg

more graft today. swapped out the 2 back springs. The broken one(in 2 places) .
    5vw481.jpg

2jrs5i.jpg

The old brake equaliser valve replaced.
    2cz3c40.jpg

Change the oil and filter too.

2 full days work in them 2 posts. Bollixed! beer and football now :)

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    14243055060_5cf6378ec3_c.jpg
    I'll be honest, that looks a hell of a lot better than I thought it did from the previous lot of pics, can actually make it out now. Not shít at all :)
    Interslice wrote: »

2jrs5i.jpg

Disc doens't look too healthy

Disc doens't look too healthy

Hopefully they'll clean up a bit with the new equaliser valve. Thickness wise they're ok. I've the retest on tuesday so hopefully that's the problem. Got 400Nm in front and 125Nm on the back in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Interslice wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll clean up a bit with the new equaliser valve. Thickness wise they're ok. I've the retest on tuesday so hopefully that's the problem. Got 400Nm in front and 125Nm on the back in the first one.

I'd say what cm was getting at was that it looks mighty thin. Look at the lip on the inside.
    I'd be changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Another F10 CIC Professional retrofitted tonight
    Big screen, navigation 3D, movies (Video in motion enabled)
    That small screen should be illegal period.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

First wax of the car in my ownership, will be bridal car for sisters wedding this week so had to get it done this evening. Took longer than I thought, hence the light!

wax1_zps9059ba0f.jpg~original

wax2_zpsb61cf9c4.jpg~original

What year is she
    looks like it belongs in a showroom

2005, 9 years young. :)

She looks smashing for a nine year old car and i mean smashing in the nice sense not the crashed car sense.
    A credit to you.
    I wish my avensis looked as well.

Appreciate it. You'd be surprised what a DA polisher and a few hours of work can do. Having said that, if I did any kind of miles, i'm not sure i'd bother me arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That 7 series is absolutely unreal. I know I've said it before, but damn...maybe one day my 3 will look half as good!

So, I have a water pump ordered, and multiple rad bleed screws on the way as my current bleed screw is slightly screwed. I have a brass one on the way which should prevent it cracking again.

So on Sat, all going well I'll have a new water pump and bleed screw in. (I guess I could order an expansion tank now and do that too...hmmm)

Advertisement