Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I am going to have to get some work done on my exhaust tomorrow. She started making noises earlier. I think I hit drove over a stone/small rock near roadworks and might have put a little hole in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I think I have repaired my coolant leak. Thankfully it only appeared to be the expansion tank. I hated seeing coolant under the car every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Tried to do something to my car last week - replace front droplinks.

Snapped a ratchet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

YbFocus wrote: »
    I'd say what cm was getting at was that it looks mighty thin. Look at the lip on the inside.
    I'd be changing them.

There on the list, just not at the top of it yet :pac:.

Passed the retest today with 390 in front and 250 at the back. It alot more stable braking hard, now that the fronts aren't doing all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

DSC01609_zps27e91bcb.jpg

For my own smoker, had it tracked and aligned this morning as it has been a year or so. Rear was out a fair bit but the front was perfect. I don't think the rear was adjusted though since it was last lowered so that probably accounts for that.

Also finished the inner arches and hubs I was working on since yesterday. It's amazing the difference it makes behind the wheel. Spacers on next, paint & new carbon bits on Monday :)

• Advertisement

I cleaned and reoiled my panel filter. Feels a lot more responsive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    DSC01609_zps27e91bcb.jpg

For my own smoker, had it tracked and aligned this morning as it has been a year or so. Rear was out a fair bit but the front was perfect. I don't think the rear was adjusted though since it was last lowered so that probably accounts for that.

Also finished the inner arches and hubs I was working on since yesterday. It's amazing the difference it makes behind the wheel. Spacers on next, paint & new carbon bits on Monday :)

Nice discs. And calipers that dont look like they picked one up and sed ah it'd probably do.
    Hal1 wrote: »
    I cleaned and reoiled my panel filter. Feels a lot more responsive now.

Unless it looked unrecognisable from the original its all in your head. Is it a sports filter?

Yes a k&n. There did appear to be soiling underneath, some black patches. So cleaning was necessary.

Parking sensors version 2. First set were crap. Second were same price just diff supplyer and looked like a diff box.

Seems like both were same just second set had different sensors. These ones also told you which way was up.

Worked perfectly. Old read from 0.8 metres and wasnt inspiring. New ones count down from 2 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yes a k&n. There did appear to be soiling underneath, some black patches. So cleaning was necessary.

Did you notice much of a performance or noise difference? I'm considering a panel filter and looking at K&N or Pipercross. Having only had cone filters before I'm not sure what to expect from a drop in panel filter. I'd hope to raise fuelling a little bit more if a panel flowed more air than stock.
    corkgsxr wrote: »
    Parking sensors version 2. First set were crap. Second were same price just diff supplyer and looked like a diff box.

Seems like both were same just second set had different sensors. These ones also told you which way was up.

Worked perfectly. Old read from 0.8 metres and wasnt inspiring. New ones count down from 2 metres.

I have the same set for about 6 months, I find them pretty accurate and they ignore my towbar thankfully. They're a bit dodgy in wet weather, they tend to give a lot of false readings in heavy rain, or when driving on grass. Mine are possibly pointing very slightly down due to the shape of the valance which isn't helping. For ~€10 they're spot on though :cool:

• Advertisement

Did you notice much of a performance or noise difference? I'm considering a panel filter and looking at K&N or Pipercross. Having only had cone filters before I'm not sure what to expect from a drop in panel filter. I'd hope to raise fuelling a little bit more if a panel flowed more air than stock.

I don't think the panel filter is doing anything other than providing better airflow.
    Maybe a forced induction kit would improve performance a bit but they would be very small. The costs would be more than the benefits if any gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Anyone have any idea as to what might be going on here? It's a friends car and I'm convinced it's because of the rubber seal around the windscreen.

I'm posting from my phone so I can only attach the image.

OSI wrote: »
    Water has gotten into the windscreen between the laminates.

Ah right any idea the best course of action.

OSI wrote: »
    The only way to rectify is to replace the windscreen. Not sure if it's much of a safety issue yet, but it will become one over time as the separation spreads. Don't think it's an NCT fail till the milkiness spreads to your vision lines though.

I figured it might need replacing alright I kinda think he is burying his head in the sand about having to replace the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

This coin was bugging me for a while so I finally decided to do something about it...

14473870563_a07a874772_c.jpg

The only way to get to it was to remove that thing...

14452341692_a7d38156ae_c.jpg

and boom. :P

14430593676_44fc5d628b_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

do we not get to see the coin no? I'm more interested in the coin now than how you did it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

What was going through someone's head when they put that there?

It's that thing you put in a shopping trolley instead of a euro coin... nothing exciting :P

Kaiser D wrote: »
    What was going through someone's head when they put that there?

Must have been a child. The previous owners child used the roof lining of my car as a sketch pad, or so he tells me. Still haven't washed it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

Are k&n filters & cone filters any addition in diesel cars.
    I know its the devils fuel:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

markkelly2 wrote: »
    Are k&n filters & cone filters any addition in diesel cars.
    I know its the devils fuel:)

This is what I'm wondering, mine's a t-diddly too. If it can flow more air volume than the standard filter, then I can raise fueling to keep the lambda the same. Without changing the fueling, I don't think it will affect performance on a derv though, it will just raise the lambda and reduce smoke (if you have any).

This is what I'm wondering, mine's a t-diddly too. If it can flow more air volume than the standard filter, then I can raise fueling to keep the lambda the same. Without changing the fueling, I don't think it will affect performance on a derv though, it will just raise the lambda and reduce smoke (if you have any).

You'll get bugger all more air. Most std filters are very high flow. And the turbo sucks it through.

k&n is shag all difference. Bmc race is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Stuck in an osram nightbreaker (24 quid for two) where one of the expensive philips bulbs (forty something euro for two) was before.
    To be fair they gave excellent light and i put it in about 20000 miles ago. The other one is still fine.

Also you can see about 4000 miles of driving around Europe worth of flies on the front.

Must get a better night time pic of the two and put it up here but for the minute.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqmqahme86oq3lt/Untitled%202.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Modified my centre console so it can usefully serve as an armrest - Some MDF, black material, and some threaded bar in under there...

IMAG0083_zps7lzfagg0.jpg

IMAG0100_zpsf7gysf7e.jpg

I have no idea why it has taken me 5 years to think of doing this.....

Not 100% happy with the result, but yeah...

Painted the door pillar things between the windows

GtZ1B4al.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Were they blue before?

Like the look of the black :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Were they blue before?

Like the look of the black :)

Yup... this is how it looked before

14143485760_9b74076a61_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

That's an improvement I will give you that, that blue really broke up that area!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Looks better alright :)

I can't say I like the black badge, very over done IMO. It's not my car though so do what you like!!!!

I always find that the tail lights on Boras look very old fashioned. I think these would sharpen up the back a lot :)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DECTANE-LED-REAR-TAIL-LIGHTS-VW-GOLF-4-VARIANT-BORA-KOMBI-RED-CLEAR-V31LLRC-/231263066146?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35d85a5822

$_12.JPG

Can't find a saloon version of them though :(:(

• Advertisement

Maybe if the inside of the badge was blue, to match the car it would look better, but I like it the way it is now as well. About the lights... I have been thinking about some light tint but I don't what to do with them yet.

Advertisement