Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Gave her a wash today.

First since your trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Yea and to be honest, she still needs to be washed. I couldnt get all the files off. It is a lot better though.
    More importantly I steamed the inside of the car so where I sit is clean anyways.
    Next week she gets new oil, an oil filter and she will be happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I HATE that underpowered argument. I had one for 2 years and clocked 30k miles on it and it was never "underpowed". My mother had one for 5 years and my brother has been through too. They are a small family hatch, not a race car.

Well Gvido has a point, they are underpowered. You might not notice it as much if you are using the car every day and you are used to it. But drive one of it's better performing rivals such as the civic or corolla and you immediately notice just how underpowered the golf really is.

And while you have a point that it's no race car, it's still not unreasonable to expect a bit more than a measly 75bhp in an 1125kg upmarket-ish car, especially when rivals have cars of the same size/weight fitted with 1.4 units boasting circa 90-100bhp.

Maybe not appropriate but as it was my father did it I thought I would post it here.
    Today I woke up and found that my father put a football sized dent in the back passengers door of my car.
    Tomorrow, I kill my father and hopefully will have a second hand door from a scrapyard to put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Maybe not appropriate but as it was my father did it I thought I would post it here.
    Today I woke up and found that my father put a football sized dent in the back passengers door of my car.
    Tomorrow, I kill my father and hopefully will have a second hand door from a scrapyard to put in.

Any pics? A plunger might do the trick of pulling it out

• Advertisement

Tried that the dent is more v shaped than curved.
    There is a scrap yard 20 mins down the road who will be ringing me back after lunch with another 03 avensis in the same colour. If the price is reasonable, I will go for that.
    My phone is charging. Once it is done pics to follow

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57394589/re.zip

I'll have a go at pushing it out later on. I might use the fathers head for that :) but the way the top is like a v shaped dent will leave a mark permanently as the metal will be stretched.

Hopefully the scrap yard says it has a lovely door for 50-100 quid.

Does anyone know how to get the door cards off of the avensis. I cant see any screws and I tried giving her a bit of a tug and she wouldnt give.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'll have a go at pushing it out later on. I might use the fathers head for that :).

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Took out the old water pump, just maintenance didn't know anything was up...was greeted with this...:eek::eek::eek:

gg4tH2R.jpg

For comparisson, this is the new pump:

gPFgKX0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Oh wow, there's your cooling issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CianRyan wrote: »
    Oh wow, there's your cooling issue!

Well it certainly couldn't have been helping! Look at the state of it, held together with spot welds...just :eek: wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm expecting something similar when I change the Thermo on my Mazda.
    I'd say it's been bodged as many times as the car's been clocked...

Should be a build thread coming soon. Log book and job sorted, time to sort the car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I surcumed. Full set of brembo been ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

2010 530d. BMW CIC navigation enabling by coding and home made 2014 map update process.
    Swapping the navigation radio (CIC) from another car will disable the navigation feature as it locked by VIN number. But it is all fixed now.

DSC_0360.JPG
    DSC_0363.JPG
    DSC_0368.JPG
    DSC_0370.JPG
    DSC_0371.JPG
    DSC_0375.JPG
    DSC_0384.JPG
    DSC_0385.JPG
    DSC_0386.JPG
    DSC_0390.JPG
    DSC_0392.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0399.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

20140628_140520.jpg
    20140628_141851.jpg
    20140628_143345.jpg

I was servicing the Tr4 and got a notion to do this. I'm not finished, waiting for the stupid VHT paint to dry. Put it back on the engine and ran it for awhile and it's still not dry...

Long overdue update

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG

Class, doing (painting lol) the roof in my old Golf black was the mod I loved the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It was also the first post in the original version of this thread IIRC

colm_mcm wrote: »

Very possibly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

colm_mcm wrote: »

T'was indeed, good memory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Today is the first day I used the hard shoulder for car issues :( Temp in the C5 has been steadily rising the past few weeks. I thought it was due to my upcoming service in 1500 miles but its more than that. Fan is staying on after car is turned off and get an engine warning message as the needle swoops to the red zone.

Quick call to my mechanic and he immediately had me check the hoses to the radiator in which the bottom one is cold so no water is rushing through to cool engine and the spring loaded thermostat is gone. Be fixed mid week, until then the car is offline.

In other news, I may be returning to a Mazda 6 again since we don't need a daysul no more :D :P They are so cheap since people are afraid of petrols pre 2008 - advantage to me!

Best of luck with the mazda 6.
    Great bargains to be had with the likes of a mazda 6, accord or older primera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Best of luck with the mazda 6.
    Great bargains to be had with the likes of a mazda 6, accord or older primera.
    Absolutely, people get hung up on tax and petrol prices where the overall price difference can be tiny.

Today's challenge
    1 owner. 2 cars. BMW F10 and Porsche Carrera S

Let's get started...

0.JPG

Dension 500S BT in Porsche

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG
    16.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KyleJJE

Got two warning lights off the dash.
    Simple fiix, air in tyres and oil door look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jesus that's one helluva gaff :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Have to say the interior of the VW Porsche does nothing for me. Very bland imo.

On car news I've done feck all lately apart from regular oil changes but I noticed when I serviced the Audi recently that the cv boot the drivers side was perished and a bit of grease was splattered on the wheel well. Since the cv joint appears to be ok for now I said I'd try a cv split kit to replace the perished one for now.

I was skeptical of it as it's only glued together but the glue is very very strong (I got glue on a finger and got stuck to the drive shaft :o !) and after a few hundred miles over the weekend I have to say it's doing its job. This is a generic pic off the net as I completely forgot to take pictures while I was doing it. Took about half an hour to do I'd say, cut the old one off, clean up, put the new boot on and fill with grease. Job done!

splitbootkits.jpg

• Advertisement

Jesus that's one helluva gaff :eek:

Not quiet, this is just the building where garden tools are stored.

Advertisement