Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I am going to say nay as it is the only spot in the dash with that colour but if you do more painting, I think it would look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not really a fan, but if you like it then that's all the matters! Feck what anyone else thinks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Defiantly nay, keep it stock imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I say horse, I hate painted interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if you asked me did i like painted interiors i'd say no, but that looks really tasteful imo. ties in with the colour of your dials and the stitching on the mats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pumped my tyres for the first time... All around 30-40percent lower than they should be... SERIOUS difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv never seen painted look great. And give it a few weeks and it just looks worse as it peels nd scratches

if you asked me did i like painted interiors i'd say no, but that looks really tasteful imo. ties in with the colour of your dials and the stitching on the mats :)

It might match the edges of the mats but it doesn't match anything else on the interior, especially the rest of the predominantly black dashboard imo.

Those dials are a lot more orange in the flesh than they are in the pics so it doesn't really match them either, if anything the black makes the dials stand out better imo.

I know everyone has different tastes and all, but to me painting parts of the interior like that just makes things look tacky, especially on a corolla interior for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Got a bit of graft done on the new bus. Been sitting up a while so the brakes needed a bit of attention

Cleaned up the pads calipers and and carrier.
    23t0cbs.jpg

The previous owner gave me a pack of new wheel studs as one of them was fecked.
    11gmt77.jpg

THe Cv boot on the same wheel was torn so replaced it with one of the universal jobs. Fiddly enough to fit but not too bad. The clips that come with the kit are crap soft metal. The smaller end clip didn't fit either so I have to pick a slightly bigger one up tomorrow.
    2lo544g.jpg

One corner finished, except for the clip :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

New Timing belt kit
    New water pump
    New front discs+pads
    New track rod end
    Full filter and fluids change

set of 4 Unirotal Rainsport 3 225/45/R17's arrived from camskill

= Empty wallet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I didnt know whether or not I should have central locking but it turns out I should. I reckon the drivers side is fine but I'm putting the passenger side down to that poxy connection in the doot again...

Lovely ball of wiring to play with :p

20140702_204144_1.jpg

I got my interior clock working though, found the loose wire :D

Interslice wrote: »
    Got a bit of graft done on the new bus. Been sitting up a while so the brakes needed a bit of attention

Cleaned up the pads calipers and and carrier.
    23t0cbs.jpg

The previous owner gave me a pack of new wheel studs as one of them was fecked.
    11gmt77.jpg

THe Cv boot on the same wheel was torn so replaced it with one of the universal jobs. Fiddly enough to fit but not too bad. The clips that come with the kit are crap soft metal. The smaller end clip didn't fit either so I have to pick a slightly bigger one up tomorrow.
    2lo544g.jpg

One corner finished, except for the clip :).

Did you go to all that effort and not change the pads? If its new car to you arent they a unknown. Eg year's old, crap cheap make?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

joujoujou wrote: »

313224.jpg

I think it looks good. Goes well with the red on the dials and the red trim on the mats.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Did you go to all that effort and not change the pads? If its new car to you arent they a unknown. Eg year's old, crap cheap make?

Wasn't that much effort :). It all had to come off to do the boot and the stud anyway. They're APEC pads and seem in good nick, 8-10mm left, just binding where the wings on the backing plate slide along the carrier.

Wasn't that much effort :). It all had to come off to do the boot and the stud anyway. They're APEC pads and seem in good nick, 8-10mm left, just binding where the wings on the backing plate slide along the carrier.

I had a transit with mintex that for some reason were muck. Loads of life left.

full set of pads gets done on any vehicle I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thanks for all feedback lads, really apreciated. :)

I don't know yet if I keep it or not - donor car's advantage. :D
    corkgsxr wrote: »
    [...] give it a few weeks and it just looks worse as it peels nd scratches

Why? It's not a place you ever touch (apart from interior cleanup sometimes), surface was perfectly clean. 3 months ago i did this, and it still looks exactly the same. Painted interior mirror cover more than a year ago - matte black (it was bright grey and dashcam in front of it could be easily spotted) - nothing's wrong at all. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

where were you racing?

Programed the key fob to the central locking. The alarm doesn't go off for a few seconds every time I open the door now. Procedure is here although it's 6 in 3 seconds not 10. http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p11-nats-security-system-key-fobs_topic21141.html

Went to the scrapyard yesterday and picked up a few bits. Jack and tool kit, ashtray, car mats, bits of trim, buttons, a cover for the back of the headlights and a drivers seat belt. Yes that is an air filter, the car didn't come with one :o. Didn't get much done yesterday with the rain apart from get the seatbelt fitted.

8ytm5x.jpg

I picked up a passenger side electric window switch which was missing altogether, everything else is there. When I fitted it, the window went down without touching the switch. Flicking the switch either way only stopped the window. Drivers switch for the passenger window doesn't work :confused:...

Had a go at the other front brake today.

339pw5i.jpg

Didn't get very far after I found someones attempt at trying to free up the caliper.
    33c1wt4.jpg

Probably just get another one at the breakers.
    Back to the strange window problem after a bit of lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Had a go at the other front brake today.

Didn't get very far after I found someones attempt at trying to free up the caliper.
    33c1wt4.jpg

Probably just get another one at the breakers.
    Back to the strange window problem after a bit of lunch.

press brakes gently , brake system will push it out, make sure not push out completely, will be hard to get back in. Wen it will be more than half way out, pull rubber down, and clean cylinder surface till is shiny with no stuck dirt on it. hope you have caliper tool to push it back, however there is other ways get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

New Timing belt kit
    New water pump
    New front discs+pads
    New track rod end
    Full filter and fluids change

set of 4 Unirotal Rainsport 3 225/45/R17's arrived from camskill

= Empty wallet :(

Great choice of tyre, I've put about 6000 kms on a set and they are still perfect. Great grip in any condition and it must be said they are a good looking tyre :)

Mar4ix wrote: »
    press brakes gently , brake system will push it out, make sure not push out completely, will be hard to get back in. Wen it will be more than half way out, pull rubber down, and clean cylinder surface till is shiny with no stuck dirt on it. hope you have caliper tool to push it back, however there is other ways get it back.

I pop them out. You'd be surprised what cack sits just behind the seals. Get some red rubber grease and they pop right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I was happy with my paint job and then came the time to wet sand to get the mirror finish, but I went too hard with the 1500 grit sand paper and pulled paint off so I started again and sanded it back and repainted, not an easy job to do in this weather.
    313557.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Annual Mercedes service. :(

OA61IqJl.jpg

The zinc primer went on after the pic was taken.

One of 3 sections I'm working on. The front arches are plastic so no problems, but Merc should have made the whole fecking car plastic. :pac:

Van got brembo all round. The ferodo in it were poor enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I see what you did there ;).

Dord wrote: »
    Annual Mercedes service. :(

OA61IqJl.jpg

The zinc primer went on after the pic was taken.

One of 3 sections I'm working on. The front arches are plastic so no problems, but Merc should have made the whole fecking car plastic. :pac:

Did you put rust converter on that rust before applying the zinc primer?. If so the zinc primer won't be effective as it has to have direct contact with metal in order for it to be effective.

As zinc primer is far more resistant to rust than rust converter, imo the best thing to do would be to remove all the rust, either by sanding, or preferably with rust remover gel and then to apply the zinc primera directly over the clean metal.

Rust converter will only keep rust at bay for a few months at best, the zinc will keep it at bay for far longer.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Did you put rust converter on that rust before applying the zinc primer?. If so the zinc primer won't be effective as it has to have direct contact with metal in order for it to be effective.

As zinc primer is far more resistant to rust than rust converter, imo the best thing to do would be to remove all the rust, either by sanding, or preferably with rust remover gel and then to apply the zinc primera directly over the clean metal.

Rust converter will only keep rust at bay for a few months at best, the zinc will keep it at bay for far longer.

The paint and rust was sanded back, kurust applied, then the zinc primer. Tried kurust on it's own before and it didn't last too long. You think I should have left out the Kurust?

I attacked the whole thing last year and brought it right back to metal. Cleaned it up this week and it wasn't too bad, much easier to get back to metal. I'm no expert though, just doing what I can. :)

Dord wrote: »
    The paint and rust was sanded back, kurust applied, then the zinc primer. Tried kurust on it's own before and it didn't last too long. You think I should have left out the Kurust?

I attacked the whole thing last year and brought it right back to metal. Cleaned it up this week and it wasn't too bad, much easier to get back to metal. I'm no expert though, just doing what I can. :)

Yes because it isolates the metal from the zinc primer which nullifies it's excellent corrosion resistance properties. Only the kurust is now keeping the rust at bay.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes because it isolates the metal from the zinc primer which nullifies it's excellent corrosion resistance properties. Only the kurust is now keeping the rust at bay.

Ah. Well, I only used it on a small section. Under lip of the arch only has zinc primer. I'll remember that for future. :)

Advertisement