Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bilt hamber Deox gel is supposedly better, and actually removes the rust rather than just "converting" the upper layer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Bilt hamber Deox gel is supposedly better, and actually removes the rust rather than just "converting" the upper layer.

Getting me some of that soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Dord wrote: »
    Ah. Well, I only used it on a small section. Under lip of the arch only has zinc primer. I'll remember that for future. :)

Imo the best thing to do with the rust is to get a good remover gel, preferably bilt hamber, paint it on the rusty areas, cover with cling film and leave overnight. The effected area should then be completly free of rust the following day. Clean the gel off and dry the metal immediately. Then spray your zinc primer directly to the clean metal.

A few coats of the zinc primer should do before a top coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Imo the best thing to do with the rust is to get a good remover gel, preferably bilt hamber, paint it on the rusty areas, cover with cling film and leave overnight. The effected area should then be completly free of rust the following day. Clean the gel off and dry the metal immediately. Then spray your zinc primer directly to the clean metal.

A few coats of the zinc primer should do before a top coat.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for future ref.

I'm gonna use a white primer over that as the top coat is white. :)

Deox gel is the best on the market IMO as well as bilt hamber electrox(zinc primer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Temporarily fitted the bumper today, I still need to make the holes a little bigger and refit the fog lights and also cut and buff the paint. It took a lot of pushing to make it fit but I like it. Now I need side skirts. I will be keeping all my old parts in-case I want to go back to stock in future.
    313756.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Back to the simple things. The father was giving out f*ck that his tyres were forming a ridge. New set of track rods it is so

Job was too fast to get any snaps, plus it rained. Jack one side, wheel off, lock to the opposite side, get out the blow lamp if the lock nut wont move, 17mm nut for the other end, hit the hub with a hammer and out it pops. 5 minutes

New vs old. Whilst not the worst I've seen, they needed doing
    14413309878_287b7cdda4_h.jpg

Fitted
    14596626331_bc08d7764c_h.jpg

Eh yeah, that's it :o

I was gona do the tie rod ends on the 900 today but you need a 21/22mm spanner to get the bloody lock nuts off before even doing anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Had a crack at the front shocks, NCT flagged them as being buggered.

Pics Here

Tackled the right one yesterday and it was a complete pain (I now hate spring compressors). The old shocks were terrible, zero shock absorbin' ability remained. I'll probably have to do the rear ones soon.

had a quick test drive there and the wheels didn't fall off so it seems to be ok. Will have another look after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

C5 all serviced after a new thermostat was fitted (€100). This evening; if it dries up; I will be cleaning the car inside out for sales pictures ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Got the replacement caliper fitted.

Fixed the passenger electric mirror. It was replaced at some stage but never connected. Connectors were different and wires were a different colour for some reason so had to do it the hard way.

test fit!
    nwnbso.jpg

Then this sort of job then.
    ekkiah.jpg

Bit of solder.
    2e5ku80.jpg

Taped them up. My tip top tip when wiring up cars is too clean it all up with electrical cleaner and wash your hands before getting out the insulating tape. Make it stick./stick better :).

Picked up this 205 55 16 bridgestone turanza of adverts. Would use this seller (http://www.adverts.ie/member/400275) again, 35 eurowith 6 mm of thread left wasn't bad. I'll have matching turanzas on the back now.

2a8hh0z.jpg

Coming together now. I ordered all the filters and 8 litres of 10 40 gtx. It's on special offer now on micks garage, 30 quid for 8 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interslice wrote: »
    Taped them up. My tip top tip when wiring up cars is too clean it all up with electrical cleaner and wash your hands before getting out the insulating tape. Make it stick./stick better :).

Topper tip is to use heat shrink. Taping them is a waste of time.

Get something like this or buy it in rolls. costs feck all and is far more professional and more importantly 'safer'

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/heat-shrink-assorted-box/3420094

listermint wrote: »

Get something like this or buy it in rolls. costs feck all and is far more professional and more importantly 'safer'

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/heat-shrink-assorted-box/3420094

Got the shrink wrap going on the fuel pump wiring alright. Someone had as you say wasted their time and used tape before hand and it just fell off. Anything in the engine bay I shrink wrap but I wasn't arsed doing it on the mirror, just used a load of decent tape instead :). I did actually try to wrap it at first but used to small a tube and it wouldn't fit over the solder.

listermint wrote: »

It looks far tidier granted but how is it any "safer" compared to wires that are well taped?

I've used both tape and heat shrink numerous times and I haven't had any problems with either.

Interslice wrote: »
    2a8hh0z.jpg

That Turanza looks very familiar! It doesn't have a 2004 datestamp on the inside tyrewall by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Wish I took more pics before and after. Had Dents Away come round to me today to repair 4-5 dents on the right side of the car, one was a very large crease in the front right wing about 8" long. An old unclear pic below, but someone crashed an opening door into it, bending the aluminium.

dent1_zps7cd139a2.jpg~original

Brian also sorted a dent by the fuel filler door and two or three in the driver door.

d2_zps0cda1d12.jpg~original

d3_zps23766bab.jpg~original

Finished front wing, the crease is completely gone:
    finished_zps24a3ca85.jpg~original

He also gave all repaired areas a light machine polish afterwards. Very good value, recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Now that's flawless, looks mighty well in the pics.

That Turanza looks very familiar! It doesn't have a 2004 datestamp on the inside tyrewall by any chance?

No, it's a 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Put on a brand new OEM aerial.

An absolute pain in the arse but finally got some free time to change over the cracked/chipped tail lights :

2vsp9pw.jpg

30lgnk8.jpg

Can clearly see a good difference compared to the older ones!!

Also had a spare T10 LED so put it in the boot while I was there:

2njdmzc.jpg

Can't see much in daytime obviously. Excuse my mucky boot carpet, that'll be changed soon (previous owner).

Slowly but surely getting things done bit by bit.

6on1hv.jpg

(reverse light on RHS looks black haha, just whatever angle the photo was taken)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Would you smoke the back indicator lights, like the gti?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I had similar when I got my last car. Some washing powder, a hose and a scrubbing brush, followed by a steam cleaning session brought her back to being as good as new.

Would you smoke the back indicator lights, like the gti?

I love the look of them, perhaps another day when I get some free time!! :)
    I had similar when I got my last car. Some washing powder, a hose and a scrubbing brush, followed by a steam cleaning session brought her back to being as good as new.

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably just buy another one in a bit better condition for a tenner or so, I don't think i'd have the patience for that :o :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Your probably better off. It was a b1tch of a job.

The megs headlight resto kit would have those tails shiney again. I got one off DS and I was quite impressed with the finish. A fraction of the cost of replacement lights but sure there new lights now anyway :).

Hal1 wrote: »
    The megs headlight resto kit would have those tails shiney again. I got one off DS and I was quite impressed with the finish. A fraction of the cost of replacement lights but sure there new lights now anyway :).

The left tail light with the craic in it was waterlogged too I forgot to mention :o

My mate had a golf a while ago and had these lights sitting up, they're as good as new though I just gave them a good clean to get rid of dust etc before putting them on. Very happy with them!

A new set of reg plates would take years of that car imo.

They're on the list :) don't know whether to go German or not...

rizzee wrote: »
    They're on the list :) don't know whether to go German or not...

Let your number plate advisor....advise you

-sings-

Nooooooooooooooo :pac:

Could be worse with brazil plates *ba dum tish*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Today I put my sparking C5 up for sale :) Link in my sig!

Advertisement