Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i just think if something needs to be painted you take it to a panel beater. if you can't justify taking it to a panel beater it probably doesn't really need to be painted.

bar maybe touching up some old screw or bolt heads or some engine bay ancillaries with a can of matte black you rarely see a rattle can ending well in an amateurs hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I've went through a good few cans so I can achieve a pretty much perfect finish (or so it seems to me). Will need to get some more plasti-dip, too bad it's about 600% more expensive here than in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I've never seen a rattle can achieve a perfect finish yet, especially on larger items.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You were doing so well until now Gvidor :(

Are you saying it looks better like this?

14468412630_40c85661ed_z.jpg

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »

Yes. But they looked much better like this:

14447316509_d236b98fc1_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Yeah it does tbh. :)

Yes. But they looked much better like this:

hubcap

Well, that's how it looks right now actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Well, that's how it looks right now actually.
    Put some money aside and get alloys? A few sets of bora sport alloys on done deal for the 200 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

set of A8 alloys would look good on that. I had some on my mark 4 golf, they suit the vw's.
    Lose the steelies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

fixed that for you :D

2006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine is an absolute ace with rattle cans.

I'm having a little war with a mirror spider. After using the hose to no avail I tried the air gun, blew fecking paint off the mirror and today there are two fresh webs...

Spider 2 - 0 LM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm having a little war with a mirror spider. After using the hose to no avail I tried the air gun, blew fecking paint off the mirror and today there are two fresh webs...

Spider 2 - 0 LM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Spider 2 - 0 LM

Get fly spray, spray a tad on the web, then bucko will come out from hide and seek, then leather the spray on him. Worked for me in getting over 20 off the jeep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Window reg and valve cover replacement. The window reg was zero craic.

14682623653_9663137c0a_n.jpg2014-07-01 12.14.15 by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

Few steps missing but how and ever!

14476003400_5141bbb090_n.jpg2014-07-10 11.11.56 by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

14662676515_16e9966e29_n.jpg2014-07-10 11.30.06 by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

I was ready to set fire to it at this stage!

14476029539_9eb63465d1_n.jpg923441_831727736860512_8227038349870484116_n by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

Everything looked in good order here for a car nearing 130k miles

14659460531_486f972319_n.jpg2014-07-10 17.23.17-1 by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

14476046108_ccd5041e9c_n.jpg2014-07-10 17.23.26 by shaun.raleigh@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got a full service and the squeeky noise is gone yay! Very happy, the Golf drives so smooth now!! The mechanic isn't back til next week so I'll be down to talk to him and see what the squeek was about, hopefully won't be expensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Two jobs done on the missus' new car (Nissan X-Trail).Rear anti roll bar bushes replaced. Nice easy job, access is great, and they are bolt on/ bolt off components. Only issue was breaking bolts that haven't been opened in 8 years. Soaked the bolts in wd40 for an hour, but still needed a breaker bar. Didn't have one, so I cut down an old 5' barbell I had, gave me a 3' and 2' bar. Worked a treat

Second job was replacing rear break pads. Again, big wheel arches made for easy access, and job oxo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I flushed the 'coolant' that appeared to be just rusty water and filled it with fresh stuff.

2zz8ays.jpg

Sorted out the wipers mechanically yesterday. The old parts were a bit worn!
    20tjbzr.jpg

The wipers work grand now but stop wherever they happen to be when you knock them off. The intermittent setting is very strange too. It completes one wipe in four separate movements :confused:. Maybe a relay gone or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Interslice wrote: »

The wipers work grand now but stop wherever they happen to be when you knock them off. The intermittent setting is very strange too. It completes one wipe in four separate movements :confused:. Maybe a relay gone or something??

My Primera does the same thing exactly!!! Toyotafanboi sent me a guide on how to fix it (well a guide for an MG but I would think it's the same problem.) I've not got around to fixing it yet but I'll PM you a link to the guide when I find it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So now finally I get around to putting up a few pics from the fitting of the spacers. They are hubcentric and as I said this morning stay away from slip on types :)

I bought them off adverts and got done by being given very cheap bolts.
    So I ordered my own and got them on eventually!

The first two show how it looked before and the last three are how it now stands. Much more arch filling and I can keep my head up after hiding it in the sand driving around like that for a while :o

Before

314821.jpg

314817.jpg

After

314818.jpg

314819.jpg

314820.jpg

Much better :)

• Advertisement

Could've gone another 20-30mm but it looks better now than before anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Could've gone another 20-30mm but it looks better now than before anyway. :)

Not with the lip on the arch man, that's where it would be if it were oem.
    You can kind of make out the inner lip in the third shot.

I ain't rolling arches :D

Also I think that 20mm is a safe max with spacers! Maybe 30mm at a push, but 50??

YbFocus wrote: »
    Not with the lip on the arch man, that's where it would be if it were oem.
    You can kind of make out the inner lip in the third shot.

I ain't rolling arches :D

Also I think that 20mm is a safe max with spacers! Maybe 30mm at a push, but 50??

Sure drift cars run huge spacers for extra lock :D

You're right though, that lip is a hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just a normal service....

Most of the bits
    14692946943_90377ce155_h.jpg

First: this was annoying me. It got a new cap :D
    14486394269_ee697f4997_h.jpg

Air filter was 6 clips and a few seconds, so nothing to see. I'd have spent more time farting taking the phone out

This is the easiest oil change I've ever done. I didn't even have to jack the car up. Simple really, reach down and open the bung with a 13mm spanner/ratchet (breaker bar here to show the room available)
    14650061216_a490c9b92f_h.jpg

The black cap in the middle houses the oil filter. Suitable sized filter tool is all that's needed
    14692946293_fd0b24d55d_h.jpg

Moments later its out. It took less than a minute to open the bung and remove the oil filter
    14486397519_20bd045299_h.jpg

Next the brakes. Again, nothing strange, standard sliding caliper so out with the 13mm and 15mm spanners. The wear sensor just wiggles out of the pad and insert into the new pads. Dead handy
    14486428348_327ac77236_h.jpg
    14670735884_72ab35ac8e_h.jpg

Now, I ran into bother with both calipers where both bleed screws rang on me due to.... Lack of maintenance :rolleyes: Not to worry, drill out the stump, pick the bits out, clean it up and I inserted 2 nipples from an Alfa instead. Problem solved :D

Next problem was the carrier, one side was seized. So I took it off and worked on it with plusgas. After a few minutes I find the culprit
    14673057175_e6dec57571_h.jpg

Cleaned it up, smoothed it out, re-greased, back on the car. Done :cool:

Lastly, I changed the front springs, rears tomorrow. Another handy job: simply remove the anti roll bar (4 nuts and 2 bolts with lots of room) drop the upper wishbone, disconnect the shock, jack up the lower arm, compress springs, lower jack and hey presto, springs out. All done in the dark so no pics but here's a pic of what it looks like now
    14692942093_f11e283e5f_h.jpg

Oh yeah I got those wheels where a set of 4 wheels and tyres with decent meat were cheaper than 2 new tyres :pac:

All that cost less than €200 and I have some change left over to get the other bits I need. Yes, the wheels and springs on top of the service parts

And that's a lot in an evenings work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    My Primera does the same thing exactly!!! Toyotafanboi sent me a guide on how to fix it (well a guide for an MG but I would think it's the same problem.) I've not got around to fixing it yet but I'll PM you a link to the guide when I find it. :)

Sound! Thought this was a one off dodgy wiring problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

dont suppose theres anybody doing nothing on saturday to help me pull the reverse light switch out of my car !

i actually know how to do it but i lack any and all tools :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

dont suppose theres anybody doing nothing on saturday to help me pull the reverse light switch out of my car !

i actually know how to do it but i lack any and all tools :(

Gimme a shout I'll be around :)

Gimme a shout I'll be around :)

sound stuff ! should be a 10 min job but i need to pull the old one out and drop into the motor factors for the new one (few different types available but all can be got on the spot and same price !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

sound stuff ! should be a 10 min job but i need to pull the old one out and drop into the motor factors for the new one (few different types available but all can be got on the spot and same price !)

Grand, will i drop up to you or what?

• Advertisement

Grand, will i drop up to you or what?

Ah its probably handy to drop to you.

So I can fly up and back between motor factors quickly !

I'll grab ya on the book of faces there anyway soon ! Sound lad altogether !

Advertisement