Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I think we have gone of topic lads.
    To bring it back to where it should be I changed the pollen filter in the avensis at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Replaced faulty ignition coil, had to stop for a while on my way back home. 5 minutes job. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Rear wheels back off the xtrail to adjust the handbrake. Adjusting is nice and simple, rubber bung out and screwdriver in, a 5 min job.

What's not so simple is removing the disc/drum to check the shoes don't need replacing. Used my finest rubber persuader, but still took absolutely ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Bums, I have more pics but can't find em... Meh!

I replaced the rear springs. Dead simple, unbolt 2 bolts while the arm is jacked and out it pops. Just when putting back it needs the bolts greased to prevent seizing
    14514754349_5ad429af76_h.jpg

Moving onto the centre support bearing needed replacement

This boyo
    14514752279_6940dd60a2_h.jpg

To change, exhaust out. 3 bolts and a clamp
    14699012164_68e38d9768_h.jpg

Heatshield, 4 nuts. Can't find that pic :mad:

Next, out with a pair of Dicks
    14514963017_e3a5050fd7_h.jpg

9 bolts and 2 clamps later
    14514960837_7b0d296899_h.jpg

I didn't need to remove the front shaft but I did anyway to check it's condition. Talk about a simple task, that's half an hour faffing about :cool:

You can see it needed replacing
    14514715710_fd9dfeea76_h.jpg

Install is the reverse. Done and driving normally again :D

Next is a throttle clean. A few seconds and the maf assembly/air pipe is off
    14701404005_5c8d50aa7b_h.jpg

While I was there I changed the plugs. 3 5mm allen bolts, 4 10mm bolts and remove the coil/lead assembly
    14698991134_9706e70f1c_h.jpg

They needed replacing....
    14698989164_4f0fcbb4ae_h.jpg

Lastly, there was an annoying scuff on the front bumper. It's now gone :cool:
    14701254095_4897f5fbe8_h.jpg

Once the fuel filter is changed, it's happy motoring for me. It's a welcome change to work on something so simple yet so well built. Apart from a bit on the edge of the wings, rust isn't a problem with this import ;)

And before anyone even thinks of suggesting it, I will NOT put sh*tty German plates on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

M5 software update (Engine ECU) to the latest version

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Today i fitted a reverse light switch to my car....... twice :(

Took air filter housing out and battery out, new sensor in ... put all back together and realized i forgot to put the rubber ring on the sensor.

air filter housing out and working under the battery this time (wasn't taking the fecker out again !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got the new flat wipers on, parking bulbs replaced with LEDs, got the latch for the armrest in the post. Wind deflectors on (all around) Altogether very happy with how the car is coming along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Last on the list for he general service was the fuel filter. Seeing as the vortex/three eight set were locked in the van I used a big flat screwdriver and had to leave the plastic cover on. Again like the work I've done on this car, piece of cake. 2 clips, gently pry the hoses off, collect the excess petrol, slide the canister out. Use new clips, do the reverse, done :cool:
    14711008186_eb48220068_h.jpg

I finally gave up on the radio and shoved in a very familiar radio. This is car number 8 it'll be in :) unlike the others it was in, there is surplus room behind the radio for the cables, ensuring minimal effort installing and a nice tight snug fit :D
    14730828281_a23b86998a_h.jpg

My horn was flat and people would laugh, so I replaced that wit a nice big red one and now it surprises people what it can do when the right button is pressed :cool: I'd have the vid-joes up only youtube is taking it's sweet time processing them :confused:

Edit: here we go :D

Lastly, today, I had to put on a nice small Daily exhaust on the van. Here it is beside a 166 3.0 tailbox.....
    14730829141_8408ad2773_h.jpg

Eh, yeah, more suited to a box lorrey :eek:

6 bolts and it's on. No need to even jack up the van :D but it is quite cumbersome. Having said that, I had it on in about 3 minutes :)
    14730832131_2d3af13b86_h.jpg

Reason we had it off is due to old age and mileage the piece at the end burned away clean. That resulted in an interesting journey home....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

Maybe more correct to say "Tomorrow I do something to my car"....

Going to the recovery yard to see what damage was done to it by the fúkn scum that nicked my Carlsson last night. Recovered by the guards this morning at 2:50.
    My guess is it's trashed beyond redemption...going by the description I got over the phone. Scum.. Fn's Scum! :mad:

/RANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Going to the recovery yard to see what damage was done to it by the fúkn scum that nicked my Carlsson last night. Recovered by the guards this morning at 2:50.
    My guess is it's trashed beyond redemption...going by the description I got over the phone. Scum.. Fn's Scum! :mad:

/RANT

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you need a hand gimme a shout, carlssons are as rare as hens teeth, that's actually angered me beyond belief I hope it's not too badly done over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you need a hand gimme a shout, carlssons are as rare as hens teeth, that's actually angered me beyond belief I hope it's not too badly done over

Cheers man, I appreciate it! My blood is boiling since I found out. Not looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. It WAS in great nick for a 91. Had been on the look out for a Carly for years. I have it just over a year and was intending to keep it long term...

Cheers man, I appreciate it! My blood is boiling since I found out. Not looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. Have it just over a year and was intending to keep it long term...

If its salvagable you know what to do, I'm sure I can round up a few useful people too if it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

God what is this world coming to!! So sorry to hear what happened, if only they could be fed to wolves or something!

YbFocus wrote: »
    God what is this world coming to!! So sorry to hear what happened, if only they could be fed to wolves or something!

Only 600 made and all probably less nowadays, things like this....I'd get banned for saying what i think about it

Only 600 made and all probably less nowadays, things like this....I'd get banned for saying what i think about it

I could never say what I'd do to them.... Can't understand what the little ****s get out of it!!
    Meanwhile they think they are the **** and are getting patted on the back by their mates.

I could never say what I'd do to them.... Can't understand what the little ****s get out of it!!
    Meanwhile they think they are the **** and are getting patted on the back by their mates.

And that's why people can't have nice things

And that's why people can't have nice things

That's why what I have is hidden in a random place that nobody would know, far from my house.
    I may stop talking before I really get angry about what they done to that saab though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

by gawd a was glad of the brembo today.

First time Iv had to brake hard in the new van. A A3 for no apparent reason stopped very suddenly in front of me. I was doing about 30 mph and about a van length away. (2 ton van)

Only way I can describe it is like the two front wheel anchored to the floor. No skids no drama Besides me nearly breaking my face off the wheel. I was quite suddenly and abruptly not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

corkgsxr wrote: »
    by gawd a was glad of the brembo today.

First time Iv had to brake hard in the new van. A A3 for no apparent reason stopped very suddenly in front of me. I was doing about 30 mph and about a van length away. (2 ton van)

Only way I can describe it is like the two front wheel anchored to the floor. No skids no drama Besides me nearly breaking my face off the wheel. I was quite suddenly and abruptly not moving.

Going to state the obvious here but at least you know now to leave a bigger distance between you and whats in front.

Good the brakes worked well that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Going to state the obvious here but at least you know now to leave a bigger distance between you and whats in front.

Good the brakes worked well that time.

Town traffic. Must have got distracted cos I can't figure how I ended up with a stopped car so close.

There a reason I always spend more on brakes and tires. ( brembo and continental)

• Advertisement

Update 1 so far. Ferrari 430 Spyder

New head unit with handsfree and 2 ways components speakers up front. Work in progress.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG

Mad to think that that car is 8 years old now!!
    Amazing the things you get your hands on man :)

how in this weather can you have the temp control at 22c

how in this weather can you have the temp control at 22c

It's on low punisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

/RANT

Jesus that's ****! Feel sorry man, hopefully it's salvageable. I'm surprised the pricks even knew what it was, in fairness a saab wouldn't be the first port of call I'd have thought for them.

It's on low punisher?

Check 1st pic:P

Check 1st pic:P

BM must have got warm during the day :)

Few more jobs done today...

New Gladen tweeters to be fitted in the original tweeter covers.

18.JPG

They actually do with a bit of trimming.

19.JPG
    20.JPG
    21.JPG

I decided to salvage that original speaker cover, so I could fit it back one way or another, to keep the original factory look. I used hot glue to fix it to the door card.

22.JPG
    30.JPG
    31.JPG

New loom for the audio signal

23.JPG

Speaker and crossover in place.

25.JPG
    26.JPG

Ready to put the door card back. Crossover hot glued too.

32.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

10530700_10153007025418776_5358689217388112689_n.jpg

10411011_10153007025588776_2965973914842625970_n.jpg

10583989_10153007025598776_1711622715344639814_n.jpg

10540760_10153007025403776_2440622323786484006_o.jpg

changed the door strap in the passenger door and got a new loom for the drivers door.

Im now just a sunroof , chain tensioner and wiring the rear climate short of completion.

• Advertisement

Final pictures of the Ferrari's job.

When I took the door card out from the driver's side, it turns out, a factory worker most likely, wrote "BASTA!!!" on the back of it.

33.JPG

34.JPG
    35.JPG

All cleaned up ready to be delivered back to its owner.

36.JPG
    37.JPG
    38.JPG
    39.JPG
    40.JPG
    41.JPG

Advertisement