Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The illumination on the alpine can be changed to different colours. [...]

This one has it as well, for less €€€.

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-deh-x3600ui-cd-tuner-with-front-usb-and-aux-in-and-ipod-iphone-control#tab2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »

:confused: That head unit you posted is more expensive at €89? And while you can change the illumination it doesn't seem to be possible to turn off the demo mode on those which causes the lights and text to flash all different colors, which is very distracting and annoying.

The alpine is more subtle without the flashing text or the flashing lights and is far less distracting. It also is a higher quality unit imo with better sound quality.

Edit: it seems the price of that alpine has jumped over night :eek: it was €80 when I posted it.

Unregistered Users

Head unit you posted is 99. The one I posted is 89.

And you can switch off demo thing no problem. Just read manual and follow it. :p

Last, but not least: sound quality is a matter of personal preferences.

Head unit you posted is 99. The one I posted is 89.

And you can switch off demo thing no problem. Just read manual. :p

Last, but not least: sound quality is a matter of personal preferences.

Read my post again, that unit was €80 when I posted it, it has gone up in price since then.

You can switch off the demo thing but it comes back on again and looks something akin to those old Nokia 3220 phones, very annoying and very tacky.

Sound quality might be a matter of personal preference but there is a noticeable difference between the two brands in this regard. I know which one I'd choose hands down if this was of importance.

Unregistered Users

Well, surprisingly I have one with demo permanently off. :D

• Advertisement

A mixtrax unit like the one above? Doubt it tbh

Do the colors stay on the set illumination or do they start changing?

Do you not find the unit extremely bright and distracting at night? I know these have a dimmer but it isn't of much use tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

That's some reliable build quality IMO

Unregistered Users

A mixtrax unit like the one above? Doubt it tbh
    Yep, mixtrax one. DEH-X3500UI.
    Do the colors stay on the set illumination or do they start changing?
    They stay as been set in RGB scale. Keys set to match green(ish) colour of middle console, display set to match orange(ish) colour of speedo dials.
    Do you not find the unit extremely bright and distracting at night? I know these have a dimmer but it isn't of much use tbh.
    It is bright alright, but once you become familiar how to change them colours you can go down with all 3 (R and G and B respectively) to go darker.

I drive mostly on nights (90% I'd say) and found satnav is way more distracting than radio. :)

Yep, mixtrax one. DEH-X3500UI.

They stay as been set in RGB scale. Keys set to match green(ish) colour of middle console, display set to match orange(ish) colour of speedo dials.

It is bright alright, but once you become familiar how to change them colours you can go down with all 3 (R and G and B respectively) to go darker.

I drive mostly on nights (90% I'd say) and found satnav is way more distracting than radio. :)

That's one good thing about them, the way you can use the rbg scale to fine tune the colours but I still find them very bright. Have you it fitted down by the heater controls or up in a pod?

Unregistered Users

It's below heater controls.

• Advertisement

It's below heater controls.

it wouldn't be too distracting down there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Had a bearing replaced in the gearbox today. Amazing how quiet the car is now. Luckily the box doesnt have to come out to change these so it didnt hurt the wallet too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I envy you :pac: anything in my car that needs replacing half the feckin engine has to be took out

I still want a SAAB.

You could be worse off. If I remember right the gearbox used be in the sump of the old 9000. The engine is smaller in the 9-5 cause it has a separate gearbox.

Jokes aside toyotas do have that in their favour that most jobs are easy enough.

Next on the to do list is replace a bulb blown behind the heater in the car.

Hurrah!

Yeah its similar on the 900, whole sump/gearbox/clutch assembly is one whole unit

As i always say, it's the little things that make the difference

That said when you have those cars finished there will be very few nicer machines on the road.

By the way are you restoring these to keep them or sell them on?

That said when you have those cars finished there will be very few nicer machines on the road.

By the way are you restoring these to keep them or sell them on?

I'm keeping them for as long as possible, the 9-5 until it totally packs in, (in which case total rebuild) or i can afford the next gen :pac: and the 900 as something to have for the weekends/shows, not many left in the country, or so i heard anyways

I bloody love them cars, even with the stick i get for owning them, and I'll do whatever i can to keep them going

When you say the next generation you mean the one with the silver headlight surrounds or the one which is similar to an insignia?

Yep! the "dame edna" as its fondly known as :pac:

Thats the one I have been eyeing up for the end of the year when I get to go car shopping.

• Advertisement

Very nice, you won't have any sludge issues so....or any ones I've had actually!

Not if I find a well looked after one.

I could end up going for the likes of this too.
    http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/saab/9-5/15055042/
    They come up in Japan quite cheap with low milage very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Fitted my LED festoons :) 5 in the cabin, 2, in the doors, 2 at the reg plate and 1 in the boot.

gpmX3lAh.jpg

Unregistered Users

Had a bearing replaced in the gearbox today. [...]

How much for labour?

How much for bearing?

Where's new bearing from? (dealer, motor factors, somewhere else)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

How much for labour?

How much for bearing?

Where's new bearing from? (dealer, motor factors, somewhere else)

is there a problem with these boxes i don't know about? kind of worried about mine now, 150k miles on the original box. what are the tell tale signs? just noise?

Unregistered Users

I'm just asking, out of curiosity. :)

Tell tale signs (in order of appearance):

- noisy while driving (just like very old radio set to no station, but quiet),

- noise goes whining,

- whining noise goes grinding/scraping/scrunching (not sure how to explain it),

- gearbox seized, bearing destroyed.

The more aggressive is your driving style, the more possible is to happen.

Edit: My driving style is very aggressive and I killed 3 gearboxes (2nd hand ones) in 7 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm just asking, out of curiosity. :)

Tell tale signs (in order of appearance):

- noisy while driving (just like very old radio set to no station, but quiet),

- noise goes whining,

- whining noise goes grinding/scraping/scrunching (not sure how to explain it),

- gearbox seized, bearing destroyed.

The more aggressive is your driving style, the more possible is to happen.

Edit: My driving style is very aggressive and I killed 3 gearboxes (2nd hand ones) in 7 years. :D

interesting, thank you :)

don't have any symptoms at the moment thankfully, nor have i had a box fail which must be rather good luck :p

any preventative measures aside from regular oil changes or is it kind of guaranteed to happen? 150k miles on the current box.

got a complete drive shaft the other day btw after all the hassle, from a 1.6vvti corolla verso, €50 very happy :) just hope it doesn't fail soon too!

Unregistered Users

[...]

any preventative measures aside from regular oil changes or is it kind of guaranteed to happen? 150k miles on the current box.

[...]

Not really. It may happen, it may not.

In my situation regular oil changes gave nothing. :(

is there a problem with these boxes i don't know about? kind of worried about mine now, 150k miles on the original box. what are the tell tale signs? just noise?

Just bearings but if done on time you will be fine.The signs of bearings going on these is usually a coarse sound as you build up speed. If yours is nice and smooth you should have nothing to worry about.

The bearings issue also doesn't effect every car, it happens on some and on others it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seeing as I strained my legs somehow yesterday, what better way to take things easy than to clean and shine up the car....
    14821658143_0344259cd3_h.jpg

You can see where I was to lazy to roll the car where I couldn't reach the tyre :(

Might have some proper post later, depends on how able I am to move :)

Advertisement