Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Ok took a different approach and hide all the plugs, more like it me thinks...

209.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Did some little things over the past few days. Thank God there is nothing big going wrong or due with the car so a happy couple days tinkering.

Took the boot apart (Golf Estate) to dampen down any panels I could find. I am looking to quiet the car down a bit. Working well so far, much less road noise on the motorway. Downside is the car is a tad louder at slower speeds so maybe the resonant frequency needs pushing down a bit more, but I am running out of panels and ideas aside from sticking slabs or rubber to things. My next set of tyres will be with road noise in mind.

Took the drivers seat out and did some oiling an greasing. The seat has been creaking a lot and without really knowing what I needed to oil, about it I plastered some stuff on and its fantastic now!

Silicone sealed the gap between the top of the windscreen and the roof body with the aim of cutting down a tad of wind noise.

Put washing line through the door sear rubbers (in between them, they are a doughnut in cross section). This was to help force the rubber against the doors and cut down some wind noise.

Finally fixed the side airbag problem which affects VWs of my mk4 vintage. It was some tinkering with VAGCOM and tape to adjust some resistance.

My boot release got soaked when the common mk4 rear window washer leak fecked up everything there. The latch motor would open the boot but wouldn't retract and let it close. I bodged a bass drum pedal spring into it so it is forced to retract once the motor opens the latch.

Next on the list is stitching up a bolster on my front seat and maybe getting the interior boot light working again. And a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

@Bbk, I reackon you need to lay sound proofing on the floor pan as the road noise will resonate through there. That's a seats out job though and that would be the next job I would do. All the sound will be concentrated through the floor since you've done all the panels. It finds it's way in even if it's a small area.

In other news I finished installing my new shocks only started on monday sure :pac:. It wasn't without difficulty though she fought me on every dam corner. I sheared a bolt on a tie rod end :o(didn't want it coming loose) so off to the parts shop in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Came ooooh so close to having a bad day today. Phew. :) (The rim is literally on top of the kerb)

mpar_zpsdab09d7a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

dgt wrote: »
    Just waiting on a new shaft then I can complete it :)

Its a K03 frame anyway, probably and iveco turbo from the looks of the cartridge.
    You want to get that balanced if you change the shaft on it, its grand to mark it, rebuild and reassemble when its the same components but just lobbing in another turbine and shaft will really hurt its longevity :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Built a custom sub cabinet to fit into the VRs boot. I'm only using a small 6" Driver to try keep it "oem" but for such a small sub, it works quite well. Think it looks a bit more discreet than the usual 12"/10" subs that I have.

Just need to cover it in OEM carpet to make it flush and invisible. Using such a small driver it was made of 12mm MDF so its very light. :cool:

Old 10" vs New
    IMG_0509_zpsbf529e72.jpg
    IMG_0505_zps9963df0d.jpg
    IMG_0506_zps2c5c8b81.jpg
    77f30602-24f7-44f8-a4db-aae80265e7d0_zps33dcafd0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

rex-x wrote: »
    Its a K03 frame anyway, probably and iveco turbo from the looks of the cartridge.
    You want to get that balanced if you change the shaft on it, its grand to mark it, rebuild and reassemble when its the same components but just lobbing in another turbine and shaft will really hurt its longevity :(

You know your turbos! ;)

Its going onto a Daily van, shaft is supposed to come balanced and all :confused: but we'll see when we get it..... I'd feel more comfortable handing it to someone and asking them to balance it tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

dgt wrote: »
    You know your turbos! ;)

Its going onto a Daily van, shaft is supposed to come balanced and all :confused: but we'll see when we get it..... I'd feel more comfortable handing it to someone and asking them to balance it tbh :)

I have rebuilt a few ;)
    The shaft will be balanced but the compressor, shaft and turbine need to be balanced as an assembly when replacing any part of that assemly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Hal1 wrote: »
    @Bbk, I reackon you need to lay sound proofing on the floor pan as the road noise will resonate through there. That's a seats out job though and that would be the next job I would do. All the sound will be concentrated through the floor since you've done all the panels. It finds it's way in even if it's a small area.

Yeah, that is the next part. I have some rubber mats under the carpet in the front but that is more a pressure fit and just in the foot well. I need to find a cheap way of solidly adding mass to the floor panels. Some DIYs on the web say to coat the plastic wheel arches with a rubberised type of paint too.

With the airbag light fixed and nothing wrong with the car I have more motivation to do a big job on the car, just need some cash and cheap materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

null_zps06d35ec1.jpg

Put it on a transporter for home. :(:(

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    I should have got a pic for you the other day,saw a 406 towing a 407 on a trailer:D

I spotted an E100 Corolla towing an E46 with a rope in Tralee last Saturday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Ahh crap day so, what went on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Changed a bulb :p

rex-x wrote: »
    I have rebuilt a few ;)
    The shaft will be balanced but the compressor, shaft and turbine need to be balanced as an assembly when replacing any part of that assemly

That's what I was thinking myself, can see where the compressor is balanced to that shaft... I'll need to find out whos near enough to me who can balance the assembly :)

I'm probably mad to even consider buying a balancing machine.... Someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

pulled out a manky pollen filter. stones and all

null_zps64e3fea7.jpg
    null_zpsd9874587.jpg

and 4 of these horrible bástards.

null_zps5daec5c4.jpg

null_zps56049c04.jpg

changed oil and filter too. 1.8 vvti avensis. hopefully she'll run a little better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Getting a coolant change for a rather unexpected trip to the north on monday, fun times ahead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OSI wrote: »
    Went to change my front pads and discs.
    Discovered I need a 7mm Hex bit (7? WTF VW! Who uses 7mm??).
    Spent 2 hours looking for one in multiple shops.
    Got pissed off at my inability to find one.
    Went home and sulked.

Had the same trouble last weekend. Have since bought a set, you can borrow mine if you want.

Went to change my front pads and discs.
    Discovered I need a 7mm Hex bit (7? WTF VW! Who uses 7mm??).
    Spent 2 hours looking for one in multiple shops.
    Got pissed off at my inability to find one.
    Went home and sulked.

A lot of floating callipers require a hex 7 to open them. You need a set of these

51NWNWB033L._SX300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

That's a great offer, thanks but I've got a Laser Caliper key reserved in Halfords for tomorrow. Hopefully that'll sort me. Cheers though.

3/8th drive 7mm allen socket is a better job, halfords sell them individually too.

Custom job for a customer...still work in progress. The car has 3 amplifiers and one sound processor (Same size as an amp really)

DSC_0978.JPG

DSC_0979.JPG

DSC_0982.JPG

DSC_0989.JPG
    DSC_0990.JPG
    DSC_0992.JPG
    DSC_0993.JPG
    DSC_0994.JPG
    DSC_0995.JPG
    DSC_0996.JPG
    DSC_0998.JPG
    DSC_0999.JPG
    DSC_1004.JPG
    DSC_1006.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Christ that's scary stuff, I bloody hate wiring :)
    That to me is hell, anyone that can go through that I say fair play!
    Earthing a headunit is tough for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Is it only bmws you do?
    Have a nice Bose sound system in my 156, but some speakers aren't working.
    Haven't a clue about sound systems either.

Scortho wrote: »
    Is it only bmws you do?
    Have a nice Bose sound system in my 156, but some speakers aren't working.
    Haven't a clue about sound systems either.

I can do any car really.
    Sounds like your amp might be faulty. But that will need to be tested.

bmstuff wrote: »
    I can do any car really.
    Sounds like your amp might be faulty. But that will need to be tested.

Great, I thought you only did bmw.
    Very well could be.
    The Bose sound system was never known to be the greatest thing going in the alfa, but if what I currently have is properly functional, I certainly wouldn't be buying Bose again.
    Car is 11 years old may have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The Bose system was perfect before it went into the Alfa :pac:

The Bose system was perfect before it went into the Alfa :pac:

So was the air con.
    Bosch electronics however? Fine for heavy duty drills but there's no German reliability in their mafs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Taxed my car...for the year €678 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Drove the Punto out over the weekend. Found it chugging while driving so took a look at the spark plugs and discovered that the spark plugs haven't been changed for along time and the 2nd and 3rd cyl HT leads blew up to rust when I tool them off.

So now it only seems to be running on 3 cylinders :( back to work tomorrow so no time to run around looking for new HT leads so gonna leave it with a mechanic to sort it out tomorrow.

Also took out the front speakers and found the speaker come was ripped. So now on the look out for some decent 6.5" speakers next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Discovered last night that a late night (half 10 to half 12) spin back home on the M8/7 is a lot less stressful and the A6 really is a nice place to be at night :)

Contrast that to the trip down on Saturday with dawdlers, idiots taking an age to overtake someone else, and the clown in the 08 Quasquai who I (and a line of other cars) were stuck behind for 5km while he sat in the outside lane weaving left and right in it but refusing to actually move to the left lane! :mad:

Plus with less cars and less stress it's the perfect opportunity to turn up the tunes and play the "how long can I keep the range count above 500 km" game - not too bad actually.. Cork-Dublin in about a quarter of a tank @ 2450 RPM ;)

• Advertisement

Follow up progress...a few final touches remaining, tidying up those holes etc.

DSC_1007.JPG
    DSC_1008.JPG
    DSC_1009.JPG
    DSC_1010.JPG
    DSC_1011.JPG
    DSC_1012.JPG
    DSC_1014.JPG
    DSC_1016.JPG
    DSC_1019.JPG
    DSC_1024.JPG
    DSC_1026.JPG
    DSC_1028.JPG