Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Good God that's some job on that engine bay. Fair play to you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Syringe it out and see. As for going to the garage, surely you know a guy who knows a guy who has diagnostic equipment?
    Considering what the garage will charge you, you could buy a fault code reader on ebay for the same money, now is the time to buy one.
    Also look up how to clear fault codes, maybe it is possible manually? On her MX5 I just need to disconnect the battery and press the brake for 30 seconds.
    You will have to deal with engine fault codes sooner or later, so no fear and just jump in there.

Ah no, don't bring it to a garage. Buy an OBD2 reader on adverts.ie for 30 quid. That way you'll own it and be able to read your own codes and look them up first, it also clears codes for you etc...it'll cost you less than what a garage will charge for one reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Irishcrx wrote: »
    it'll cost you less than what a garage will charge for one reading.
    Maybe a main dealer, but not my local guy. Got to the garage at 8.55 this morning with it. Slight delay while he finished the rear brakes on a Transit before having a look. Plugged in, ignition on, logged fault was a misfire on cylinder 4 due to low fuel (so not related to my changing the brakes). Cleared it and told mei was good to go - wouldn't take anything off me for it.

So then gave it a pre - NCT wash before heading to Blarney.

Failed as I was expecting, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would. Few small niggly things that I can sort myself with the only real expense being a new windscreen. Free retest within 28 days so now I have a little time to get prices for the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Top Dog wrote: »
    [...] now I have a little time to get prices for the glass.

Check your insurance T&C's - maybe you have windscreen protection included? And it usually won't affect NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got my parts!

16304157734_ff598598ce_c.jpg

Replaced spark plugs...

16738871518_e0100c9e4a_c.jpg

...air filter, distributor cap and all 5 ignition leads.

16739093070_5c9fafd1c4_c.jpg

Oil and filter to be done tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

So the astra took a tasty slap in a car park the other day. This made me very very sad.

20150325_182532.jpg

Some farecla g3, a microfibre pad and some vigerous elbow grease later

20150325_184238.jpg

54961419.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

That's a great job!

Never done an oil change so early before. :P

The weather was crap too.

16934912425_8ba830353b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I hope you'd somewhere other than the wet mud to lie on!

I use the boot carpet from my old Fiat Punto for jobs like this. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Today I got a new battery for my Focus Cmax (2006) key (built-in 3 button) and the damn thing still won't work!
    Is it fooked? It still starts the car, but I do know that is separate from the remote locking function...
    How can I test if the key still transmits?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Today I got a new battery for my Focus Cmax (2006) key (built-in 3 button) and the damn thing still won't work!
    Is it fooked? It still starts the car, but I do know that is separate from the remote locking function...

It might just need reprogramming, which can be done easily enough. I've used these instructions myself after swapping out the battery in the key fob.
    My key fob also went a bit wrong, and has done a couple times if the battery is disconnected. Give this a try.

Open the door with the key
    Put the key in the ignition
    Turn the key to the second position (lights up the dashboard)
    Turn the key back to the off position

Repeat steps 3 & 4 four times (you will hear an audio sound (chime) if you have done it right)
    When you hear the audio sound press the lock button on your key fob a few times (I normally hit it about 6 or so times for about 10 seconds)

If the doors lock, you are laughing and you have fixed it, if the doors don't then give it another go (I couldn't do it right first time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It still starts the car, but I do know that is separate from the remote locking function...
    Separate in any normal (not keyless entry / keyless go) setup I've come across but I wouldn't have much experience of any cars designed in the last 10 years. Try the pairing procedure.

Thanks, I'll try to reprogram it, I'll let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

New vinyl roof on the VX today. Didn't really take great pictures but anyway;

10646996_10204750743662499_7961740924598171767_n.jpg?oh=a2b2fa7e46bd582d5df2b04a2f018a6e&oe=557ACA5B&__gda__=1438120484_10061730566d790b6179f8952c126143

11081003_10204750747622598_5248476986832365942_n.jpg?oh=3dfe9e1d6731c435c0bae317a5bef47e&oe=55B17CC3&__gda__=1438076373_bdb29dc24c2b46f778eb1d1289bf7e26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

joujoujou wrote: »
    Check your insurance T&C's - maybe you have windscreen protection included? And it usually won't affect NCB.
    Its not covered. And even if it was I'd be reluctant to claim it as the policy is only just over a week old so I'd feel dishonest about it. :o

1 quote in so far - €180 including fitting & VAT.
    I'd second what Hal said above about it needing re-coding. The same happened my sisters Focus a while ago. Key still started the engine but remote locking wouldn't work. Battery had died and once a new one was fitted it needed recoding. There's a couple of methods to doing it so if the instructions above don't work try googling it - think it was the third set of instructions that I tried that worked for me. ;)

And on topic - today I removed the undersized (and loose as a result) battery and replaced it with an oversized one which is ruddy secure now.

Also replaced the missing bolt in the boot catch and readjusted it slightly.

So thats 2 of the 4 NCT fails taken care of - and one of the 4 isn't even a genuine fail - so just the windscreen left to get done and I can claim my valid cert. :cool:

Well, found the right procedure to put the car into key programming mode. Turn ignition on and off 4 times till it beeps, then press the key.
    Nothing. Bollocks anyway. Looks like a new key for me. Well, not the key, just the transmitter bit. The good news is, I don't have to pay a lot of money to get it programmed, I already know how. :)

The new roof looks great.

Car looks great Duke but I wonder how the old roof was in such a state when the rest of the car looks spotless?

Edit: Its just a vinyl cover isint it? :o

Car looks great Duke but I wonder how the old roof was in such a state when the rest of the car looks spotless?

Edit: Its just a vinyl cover isint it? :o

It's a vinyl roof.

It previously had a different one on that was in bits and the elements just got to it. The first pic just shows a lot of surface rust, glue and old vinyl bits. It was a real mess and an awful job to clean.

• Advertisement

It's a vinyl roof.

It previously had a different one on that was in bits and the elements just got to it. The first pic just shows a lot of surface rust, glue and old vinyl bits. It was a real mess and an awful job to clean.

Ah yes I get ya now. All worth the effort in the end though. Fair play

10984300_1569221990000397_8732773638703004346_n.jpg?oh=4ef9b7a5aecc85204869f662cb11cafa&oe=55BC7184&__gda__=1437123771_b24947372c3661d61b5332bd1133e939

11084286_1569222740000322_384876844741566113_n.jpg?oh=94f6c1c31bbb384e2591156d26d397e6&oe=5573E938&__gda__=1433610929_4be2854228c3604a172dfd831d431442

Got t'A35 running. New starter in, old dynamo out and have an alternator to go in tomorrow. It's running sweet as, no smoke or anything and we've got brakes. Will look at the clutch tomorrow. Have interior carpet, door cards and a few other bits to do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

It's a vinyl roof.

Good choice of colour mate, works very well.

Good choice of colour mate, works very well.

Cheers, tbh I need to thank my Mam for picking out the colour!

Anyway - Quick video of the car running. Not really great as she cut out then at the end but it runs seriously sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

New shock absorbers on the front. Boking retest tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Today a tidy and 4 new tyres. Energy savers on the front and Pirmacy on the back as he only had 2 and 2 in stock.
    Tomorrow ABS Module comes out of the SAAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Posted this on my car thread on another forum, not bothering rewriting :)
    Pre to it was getting a low oil pressure warning and seeing a leak on the front drivers side of the the engine....

So went at the fix on Friday night/Saturday. What should have been a 10 min job max to remove the vacuum pump turned into a pain in the ring when one of the 3 E8 torx bolts holding it on decided it wasn't budging. Left wd40 on it overnight to see if it did anything, didn't work.
    Even got a torch to it to heat it but still no movement so ended up getting out the dremel and cut a slot in it and got it off with a flat head bit and torque wrench.

So before I could get it off the car I removed the front cover where one of the leaks were,
    IMG_20150327_172246_zpsu7pqea5k.jpg
    IMG_20150328_134019_zpscyxmusjf.jpg

The oring was flat as a pancake!
    I still wanted to get it off the car as the smaller oring on the other side was probably going to be the same.

So all removed, this part lovely, the design of it is super :)
    IMG_20150328_153707_zpsexdbwm7s.jpg
    IMG_20150328_153717_zps9h1ucvik.jpg
    IMG_20150328_153727_zps319utpil.jpg

It got a good cleaning then off to the motor factors to try find the orings...... and after a trip to the 3 closest to me we weren't getting the large oring :( BMW don't supply it either, you cab order it online but there's posts on other forums that don't rate moist of them. So out with the tiger seal, great stuff but can be seriously messy.

Part refitted and lightly tightened for a few hours before locking it down, just to give the tiger seal time to do it's job, I didn't want to squeeze any excess into the chamber when it was still wet.

All back on and tightened, topped up oil.
    IMG_20150328_164213_zpsqbzhhozl.jpg

So waited until today to test it. Left engine running for 15mins, no leak, took it for a 30 min drive and as Iiterally pulled back into the driveway the low oil pressure warning came back on.... F***

Checked the oil level, perfect! Checked the underside of the vacuum pump, dry?? Then checked the oil pressure sensor below the vacuum pump (you can see it below the hole for the vacuum pump in the 5th picture above), small leak on it too. Betting it's faulty too. So there's a lesson, should have done it at the same time!

Will order one in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Put a set of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited on. Claiming to be a 110% more light thing. ;)

No before/after pics this time (pissing rain), sorry'bout that. :o

Will test them tonight. :cool:

Well, found the right procedure to put the car into key programming mode. Turn ignition on and off 4 times till it beeps, then press the key.
    Nothing. Bollocks anyway. Looks like a new key for me. Well, not the key, just the transmitter bit. The good news is, I don't have to pay a lot of money to get it programmed, I already know how. :)

So, ordered the new PCB for my keyfob:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CIRCUIT-BOARD-for-MONDEO-FOCUS-TRANSIT-KA-FIESTA-/151286895204
    Nice how £15 turn into €30 with exchange rate, postage and everything else...:(
    But I have the procedure down, just need to put the new PCB into the key and pray. Updates to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So, ordered the new PCB for my keyfob:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CIRCUIT-BOARD-for-MONDEO-FOCUS-TRANSIT-KA-FIESTA-/151286895204
    Nice how £15 turn into €30 with exchange rate, postage and everything else...:(
    But I have the procedure down, just need to put the new PCB into the key and pray. Updates to follow.

What's wrong with your own, did you check all the solder joints?

Advertisement