Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got new shock absorbers on the front and rebooked nct for Friday.

Also got a bullet/stump aerial and the plastic clip i needed for the parcel shelf so fits in nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

lafors wrote: »
    What's wrong with your own, did you check all the solder joints?

Took it apart, had a look, perfect. Just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Took it apart, had a look, perfect. Just won't work.

So you used the 2 working keys to enter programming mode right? :confused:

Hal1 wrote: »
    So you used the 2 working keys to enter programming mode right? :confused:

No need:

You need two working keys to program a third one with a new chip, but this is just adding a remote central locking device. Much easier.

No need:

You need two working keys to program a third one with a new chip, but this is just adding a remote central locking device. Much easier.

Does the key still manually lock and unlock the doors though?

• Advertisement

Does the key still manually lock and unlock the doors though?

Locks and unlocks (meaning the blade is OK) and starts the car (meaning chip is OK), but won't remotely unlock it (Meaning transponder is fcuked).

Well it should say the frequency on the key 433Mhz. They are usually siemens brand too. Maybe it's the wrong frequency on the one you got. I'd say they would change it for you if you returned it. A load of balls though...

Well it should say the frequency on the key 433Mhz. They are usually siemens brand too. Maybe it's the wrong frequency on the one you got. I'd say they would change it for you if you returned it. A load of balls though...

I haven't received it yet. What happened is that I walked away from my car, locked it and nothing happened. It had worked only half an hour earlier. (This is with the existing key I've had since I bought the car)
    I tried a few times, nothing. Changed the battery, nothing. tried reprogramming the existing key using the procedure in the video, nothing.
    This leaves two possibilities, key gone or receiver gone.
    Since it is cheaper to replace the innards of the key, that is the next step. Since that key has had a hard life, what with being soaked and thrown around over the years, a malfunction is not impossible.
    If that doesn't work, I'm in trouble...

In that case I'd say there is a good chance the new key will work. The problem with the keys is the micro switches wear out. They are the contacts under the buttons. So there will be times you're key you have now will work and not work. I had trouble with my own keys and went through the same process as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

So I finally got my center cap overlays Monday so fitted them last night.
    Had to remove them with my tusty tool(blutac!) :p and wash them. I then cleaned them with IPA.
    IMAG0857_zps1kluhmb6.jpg
    After that heated the back of the overlays and surface of the cap and stuck it on making sure the press the edges down properly and used heat to do this too.
    Half way there
    IMAG0858_zps5szfgowg.jpg
    Back on the car now happy out small things make a good difference!
    IMAG0859_zpsvs6dzc0f.jpg
    IMAG0860_zpszhr5ejkm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

They look great! But why IPA!! waste of good ale that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

New shoes

20150403_105218.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice! What size are the tires on the rear? Look wide...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

8s all round with a 195 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It doesn't take long....

17040668731_ad0db0d547_h.jpg

It needed off anyway to sort a leak. When off, I altered it to my spec:
    • 10mm distributor head
    • 0.6mm dynamic advance shim
    • Altered speed govenor spring
    • Custom wind down of the star wheel
    • Custom cut LDA to my spec
    • Longer throw on the throttle cradle

And other crap like a static advance, fiddling with adjustment screws, wax stat delete etc

Severe lack of pictures but meh, you've seen me do it before
    16834095577_668bc5ae36_h.jpg

Result: an insanely responsive diesel, silly amounts of reek and a knackered clutch :D

Which means an excuse to pull the engine out for that :p

To put this old school lump in too ;)
    16853711558_eba5ce6415_h.jpg

Oil changed. Wanted to change the oil level sensor, but I didn't give enough of a feck to do it! The car is driving smooth, 1 year and 3000miles since the last change. I reckon it runs smoother, but that's probably all in my noggin!

Did I see that at Cars and Coffee in Limerick and the Tipperary vintage show today?

Which is what I did with my car today (the MX5). Brought it to C&C and Tipp. :D
    Was fitting a kitchen yesterday, so no time to spruce it up, there it was in all it's filthy glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Oil changed. Wanted to change the oil level sensor, but I didn't give enough of a feck to do it! The car is driving smooth, 1 year and 3000miles since the last change. I reckon it runs smoother, but that's probably all in my noggin!

That's a criminal waste of oil :pac:

That's a criminal waste of oil :pac:

You're welcome to the old stuff, only one careful owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

3000 miles :eek:

Both of my yokes have exactly 12,000 miles gone since the last service. I actually hate having to get into either of them, because you know, they could blow up :pac:

Both are getting fully serviced this week. My wallet hurts already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The thing about it is it's good practice to change the oil every year even if you are a long way of the specified distance interval. As of course oil degrades over time as well as mileage. I suppose it much the same with a timming belt if left long enough it will snap even if there is only ting mileage on the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Car is due it's second oil change with me.
    Forest one was January second at 108, she's in 116 now so is asking for it!

Could it be possible to do a 32k mile year in this car without breaking myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Okay so here's yesterdays update. Babysitting my nephew so I don't really have a load of time to do much but I managed to strip out the interior with the help of the man himself. Solid floors. Delighted! Seats and doorcards will be re-trimmed by my mother in the same colours and I will fit the grey carpet I have when I can, theres a bit of work involved to get it to fit.

11146329_902896319752593_5150045538279770282_n.jpg?oh=1e1d38c3478545dc802d2de11d9595e3&oe=5599DEED&__gda__=1437933668_5012ffa0f0a7fb17fbccbb03b44acc42

934885_902896476419244_4896025495463822944_n.jpg?oh=69bdfb3318c988e05c266c059e401d56&oe=55B3AAAC

10985219_902896553085903_7302872465830452127_n.jpg?oh=64791fb6179528ce398222c77536d979&oe=55B5C3C8

I would have a good poke around that, because if you can see any rust on a Beetle, there's about 10 times as much underneath.
    And even if the body looks good, the separate chassis might be something else altogether.
    This does not look all that solid from the pics. Careful or you'll be driving a Flintstone mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I would have a good poke around that, because if you can see any rust on a Beetle, there's about 10 times as much underneath.
    And even if the body looks good, the separate chassis might be something else altogether.
    This does not look all that solid from the pics. Careful or you'll be driving a Flintstone mobile.

Id be delighted with that floor tbh. Looks very solid to me. Hardly a beetle with that tunnel down the middle of the car either :)

Started fixing up a friends type 3 camper over the weekend. Tightened the throttle cable. Made some difference. Need every hp you can get from the 1.6d. Going to do a bit of resto on the body paint and engine over the summer. We were going to turbo it but she'll do 65 mph pn the flat now so mightnt bother. Great fun to drive ever though its slow. Probably about 40 seconds to 60!

Interslice wrote: »
    Id be delighted with that floor tbh. Looks very solid to me. Hardly a beetle with that tunnel down the middle of the car either :)

Started fixing up a friends type 3 camper over the weekend. Tightened the throttle cable. Made some difference. Need every hp you can get from the 1.6d. Going to do a bit of resto on the body paint and engine over the summer. We were going to turbo it but she'll do 65 mph pn the flat now so mightnt bother. Great fun to drive ever though its slow. Probably about 40 seconds to 60!

Sorry what was I thinking!
    Not wearing my glasses is my excuse.

I had 2 T3 camper with the 1.6 diesel. Forget it. Throw a TDI lump from a Passat in there. The current lump will disintegrate because it was never meant to lug a van around. Most comfy car I ever owned and the slowest by several lightyears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thanks to a clogged iphoney there is a severe lack of pics again! :(

Changed the t-belt in the 525 today :)
    16851662227_536d44a611_h.jpg

It's fairly simple. Remove 3 aux belts, visco fan and pulley, put engine into tdc, crank pulley and damper, distributor and rotor arm, move a bracket to one side, remove the covers, loosen tensioner. Off it pops.

All I have is the pic of the visco fan off, it's a 32mm nut and left thread. So none of this lefty loosey bolloxogy
    16851609617_8fe8323da7_h.jpg

Old belt wasn't in bad shape at all but was on the car at least 9 years...!!!!

Faffing about I had it done in about 2 hours :)

Now to sort out that bloody trans program issue.... :mad:

What about the water pump, or is that for another day? good job though in fairness and one many wouldn't be brave enough to attempt, but you always make these things look easy :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Just wondering for anyone that has done it. How difficult on a scale of 1-10, 10 being very hard is it to change a timing belt and head gasket? (00 avensis)

Advertisement