Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

The steering wheel needs some attention. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could you run an acc live from the cigarette lighter? I assume the car has can us or something which means the original stereo didn't need an acc live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Until I justvseen them pictures above I never realised the 156 had gauges in the centre console I thought that only came in on the 159. I think they look well there actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

GvidoR wrote: »
    The steering wheel needs some attention. :eek:

The scrap yard trip hasnt happened yet! Doing exams and stuff.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could you run an acc live from the cigarette lighter? I assume the car has can us or something which means the original stereo didn't need an acc live?

so thats what the acc does. Was going to measure all the wires to see if one of them gives 12v with the ignition on. Thought it was just wired wrong. Never had to do anything more than just plug one in before. Never thought of it being cambus. Will run a wire from the cig lighter if I cant find one up above. The fuse box is just the far side of the wheel so might be handier again.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Until I justvseen them pictures above I never realised the 156 had gauges in the centre console I thought that only came in on the 159. I think they look well there actually.

The temp guage is weird. It sits at 70 unless your sitting in traffic where it goes up to 90. Thought the thermostat was gone at first but its how theyre meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Interslice wrote: »
    Anyone know what the little grid type thing is between the hazards switch and the temp control? It's like a speaker or something. Thermostat maybe?
    yeah looks temp sensor for air con.
    I've never seen one so obvious, usually out of sight near steering wheel in my limited experience.

Edit - the gauge... what does torque or other scanner tell you is the actual temperature? 70 sounds too low for normal position.

• Advertisement

Did a bit of cleaning

17152248184_4ae26451f9_c.jpg

Put the other seat in

17152230984_10ed452cb8_c.jpg

Here's how the interior looked when I got it

16519728527_ceffb8da71_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I don't even want to know what them stains on the seats are.......

I don't either, they should come out though.

--

Since the Astra was parked up for such a long time, I sold the head unit that was in it (a crappy enough Sendai anyway) so it was left like this.

17778618605_87b99d80a7_c.jpg

But since I'm going to be driving it, I put this JVC head unit in there. It has USB, AUX, Bluetooth and it powers on and off with the ignition - it's awesome. :P

17156130674_0e833fd869_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

During lunchbreak did the plugs. Runs much smoother now, I tell myself.

GvidoR wrote:
    But since I'm going to be driving it, I put this JVC head unit in there. It has USB, AUX, Bluetooth and it powers on and off with the ignition - it's awesome.

It's a bummer with them cars, and others with a display screen, that the screen becomes almost obsolete when one fits an aftermarket radio.

• Advertisement

It's a bummer with them cars, and others with a display screen, that the screen becomes almost obsolete when one fits an aftermarket radio.

It had an aftermarket radio when I got it. The display up there shows time and temperature so it's okay. :P

Oil leak was freakin me out. Never had a car go below the minimum on the dipstick before! It had also used up all the ends of the oil cans in the shed. 2.5 litres of a 10-40 5-30 mix gone in 1000 miles :cool:. Rather than just buying more oil to leak out I decided to change the oil and filter and sort the leaks. It takes 4.5 litres so I would have had to buy another cans of oil to service it after.

Sump bung had pulled most of the threads and a previous attempt at a seal with a copper washer, plastic washer:confused: and mastic wasn't working(see the pic). So rethreaded the sump from an m18 to an M20. Tricky enough to do lying on your back so it went in a a bit of an angle. Just have to use 2 copeer washers now but it seals perfect.

fkwlqs.jpg

A fine mess
    dze0au.jpg

The rest of the leak is from the rocker cover. Was going to seal it up with dirko but its only 17 euro for a new gasket. Will fit that tomorrow and rinse down the engine. Hopefully that'll be the oil leaks sorted.

biko wrote: »
    During lunchbreak did the plugs. Runs much smoother now, I tell myself.

It doesn't be all in your head i don't think. Only changed the oil and filter today but thought it was running a bit smoother after than before. I always find new plugs or an air filter make a noticable difference especially if good value was had from the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

New wheels to replace the mad looking yokes on the celica. Bridgestone S03 wheels 16" x 7" with decent rubber. Got them for handy money off of a lad breaking a celica on donedeal. Looking forward to cleaning them up and fitting them!

20150518_191612.jpg

Are they the ones that should be on it as standard? Hard to beat putting new wheels on a car, has the potential to make a massive difference.

Thanks :) they aren't the originals but they are the same diameter, width and offset as the originals and the rims themselves being made by bridgestone i'd imagine they will be a decent quality. The ones currently on the car are like chocolate.

Paid €200 for them. Less than most lads are asking for the OEM wheels and these have very good tyres so i'm happy. Will donedeal my old wheels for €100, someone will probably love them for a bora or a caddy van :P

well, i got them on :) in keeping with my last "anti-detailing" post, i used an old paint brush, tesco brand alloy wheel cleaner and wd40, they came out great :pac:

rain tried to stop play early in the day, but i persisted.

20150519_133201.jpg
    20150519_154057.jpg
    20150519_153954.jpg

and the money shot, for the (few) JDM wheel enthusiasts among us :)

20150519_132522.jpg
    20150519_132528.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looking well!

Suit the car down to the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Faulty (whining loudly) alternator replaced.

There's no appropriate one in my local breakers, so decided to buy different one, from the model up.

Housing is slightly bigger, although mounting holes exactly the same, as well as all the connectors.

And it's stronger - old one had 70A, new one - 80A.

There will be no photos, because I'm lazy. :o

• Advertisement

Some bulbs had died on the Astra.

17712916079_02961b8724_c.jpg

So I went down to the local motor factors and got these bulbs and replaced them.

17872750856_a6fbf9538e_c.jpg

I also got an oil filter and 5 litres of Valvoline 10w40 motor oil. It all added up to €50... I think it was a little much :(

Doesn't seem too excessive for a good brand oil and filter. A h7 and h3c(?) Were probably around €15 for the pair i'd say?

Doesn't seem too excessive for a good brand oil and filter. A h7 and h3c(?) Were probably around €15 for the pair i'd say?

Well yeah, I suppose you're right.

€25 for oil
    €8 for filter
    €10 for HB3
    €6 for H7
    €2 for the two sidelights

and €1 discount :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not y car but some may find it interesting.
    Done service on a sl600 v8 biturbo ( badged as a sl63 v 12 :D )
    Some job on them spark plugs lads. No room what so ever to get a ratchet so took longer than expected. 16 spark plugs at 400 and something euro.
    image_zpsnfakoinw.jpg
    Plugs done
    image_zpslrvtnj78.jpg
    Done :) nice and clean and test drive time
    Happy days
    image_zpsgg8adnls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Last pic didn't load I don't think
    image_zpsgg8adnls.jpg

That's a lot of plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Pops_20

750 kms a week in a Glanza means more oil changes and more biscuits...

IMG_8437_zpsiasdzcka.jpg

Oil change coming up, gotta get a tin of cookies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dodder, I know where you work.
    I took the brown sofas today. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not y car but some may find it interesting.
    Done service on a sl600 v8 biturbo ( badged as a sl63 v 12 :D )
    Some job on them spark plugs lads. No room what so ever to get a ratchet so took longer than expected. [highlight]16[/highlight] spark plugs at 400 and something euro.
    [...]

Weird. I see 17. :o

Advertisement