Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Very pimp my ride.
    Because every car needs a DVD player and a play station.
    Not tacky at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

No, Pimp My Ride would have put 3 TV's and 3 PlayStations in the boot because fcuk logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Or a Tv screen under the car.

At least you could get under the car easily to watch something with 24 inch wheels on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

CianRyan wrote: »
    Very pimp my ride.
    Because every car needs a DVD player and a play station.
    Not tacky at all.

That's a factory set up
    Many cars have lost TV reception since 2012 (?), because they have analog tuners from factory.
    I just fix these, I don't do tacky stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

bmstuff wrote: »
    That's a factory set up
    Many cars have lost TV reception since 2012 (?), because they have analog tuners from factory.

Doesnt look a bit tacky. Genuinely curious as to when they are being watched. A camper van kinda makes sense but a car. People surely arent driving and watching it or do they?

Interslice wrote: »
    Doesnt look a bit tacky. Genuinely curious as to when they are being watched. A camper van kinda makes sense but a car. People surely arent driving and watching it or do they?

TV in car has been invented to keep the wife shut on long travels ;)
    I thought that would be a well known fact by now

Only messing
    There are always been gadgets in cars for years, massage seats, internet, iPhone/Android apps on OEM radios etc
    TV in car has been an option since the early sixties.

I have internet in my own car, like many new cars. Not browsing it when driving, but nice feature to have on a 8.8" screen

internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

If you were waiting to pick somebody up they would be a handy alternative to the radio.
    I often use my mobile to go online if I'm hanging about in the car, so I wouldn't find it that unusual that someone might want to watch the news or whatever.

With that in mind, I would probably just get an iPad mini or similar instead of ticking the in car TV option or doing a retrofit.

With that in mind, I would probably just get an iPad mini or similar instead of ticking the in car TV option or doing a retrofit.

Easy to do, more difficult to have a smooth integration to your dash depending on the car. Double side tape on the windscreen is not an option.
    No room on those 5 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

406 got a much needed oil change (again) and a set of brake pads replaced. In some absolutely desperate weather :mad:

It finally got much needed tlc in the form of a hape of parts ordered for it. Mostly suspension and steering related (because French).

Also got a huge part that will make the major mechanicals much easier to do :)

To make a project thread,or wang it all in here... It isn't a project as its my daily driver but will get a hape of stuff done to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I fitted my new bonnet release catch which broke before the last NCT. Easy job and nice to have it sorted. Still need to buy new kidney grills!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dgt wrote: »
    406 got a much needed oil change (again) and a set of brake pads replaced. In some absolutely desperate weather :mad:

It finally got much needed tlc in the form of a hape of parts ordered for it. Mostly suspension and steering related (because French).

Also got a huge part that will make the major mechanicals much easier to do :)

To make a project thread,or wang it all in here... It isn't a project as its my daily driver but will get a hape of stuff done to it!

What are you doing with a French car? Did the Merc break your heart? (I think it was a Merc, correct me if I'm wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

bmstuff wrote: »
    That's a factory set up

I know it is, just because it's factory doesn't mean it not tacky.
    I hate having too much on a dash.

Geez...
    Gonna keep this one for the record lol

2012 BMW F10 for upgrade to the latest software update (Engine ECU, tranmission ECU etc), CIC iDrive retrofit, Start/Stop permanently disabled (So the car no longer stops at a red light) and Sport displays enabled.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

On Saturday i managed to snap a halfshaft clean in two. .
    I could limp it home and finally got at it today.

It was an easy fix having changed the far side lately.
    It was some sight, no more pictures as i was annoyed and covered in grease so i just wanted to be inside!

How it happened is anyone's guess!

350733.jpg

350734.jpg

"spirited" driving? :D

"spirited" driving? :D

Perhaps, along with me meeting some tarmac with very high friction all of a sudden :)
    The bang was like the world was ending that's no joke!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Perhaps, along with me meeting some tarmac with very high friction all of a sudden :)

That would be due to a sudden deceleration from high rotational velocity of the wheel due to a higher friction surface encountered by the rubber of the tire, inducing a sudden jolt of stress into the drive shaft, one end of which wanted to maintain RPM and the other didn't.
    Or as you said, an almighty bang. :P:p

Jaysus. Something similar happened to me in a van a few years back. Nearly shat myself with the bang

• Advertisement

That would be due to a sudden deceleration from high rotational velocity of the wheel due to a higher friction surface encountered by the rubber of the tire, inducing a sudden jolt of stress into the drive shaft, one end of which wanted to maintain RPM and the other didn't.
    Or as you said, an almighty bang. :P:p

Yep, in lay man's terms the tyre was trying to break a row up between the engine and the road.
    The engine said go and the road said no :)

I'm kind of happy it wasn't the box or something that took it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Off topic but I was engaging in spirited driving a few weeks ago. I rounded a corner enthusiastically and heard a loud bang from the rear. Next of all the car rapidly filled up with white smoke. I copped what it was and jammed on. I had a 6kg powder extinguisher in the boot and it had bashed off the side bursting the top off.

If anyone saw an Avensis shortly afterwards doing 80mph through Tallaght with all the windows open and white powder coming out of the windows, that was me.:o

It took 2 trips to a windy mountain top to try get the boot someway clean. :pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    Off topic but I was engaging in spirited driving a few weeks ago. I rounded a corner enthusiastically and heard a loud bang from the rear. Next of all the car rapidly filled up with white smoke. I copped what it was and jammed on. I had a 6kg powder extinguisher in the boot and it had bashed off the side bursting the top off.

If anyone saw an Avensis shortly afterwards doing 80mph through Tallaght with all the windows open and white powder coming out of the windows, that was me.:o

It took 2 trips to a windy mountain top to try get the boot someway clean. :pac:

Sorry pablo but I burst out laughing at that image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If the cops were to be going by they may have thought you just robbed a bank and the dye pack blew:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What are you doing with a French car? Did the Merc break your heart? (I think it was a Merc, correct me if I'm wrong)

The C220 diesel (or big tom as i call it) smashed its diff.... Whoopsie :o

I miss driving that merc! It was some animal of a car for torque, lazy and comfy... Now it sits in my yard awaiting its fun transplant :)

As for being in a 406 again, well what else would I be seen in... If its diesel and XUD powered thats me sorted :p

Something happened.

18191101538_e9c8cb3359_c.jpg

18191188310_7f3f4994f9_c.jpg

17756243944_fff3063ce9_c.jpg

Are they your dims??

Those are main beams yeah (not full beam). H4 bulb.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Those are main beams yeah (not full beam). H4 bulb.

Ah right, is the light output after talking a sharp fall now?
    Met an A4 yesterday with pink headlight bulbs, how he sees anything is beyond me :)

• Advertisement

Ah right, is the light output after talking a sharp fall now?
    Met an A4 yesterday with pink headlight bulbs, how he sees anything is beyond me :)

Hahah.

I don't know, I haven't tested them out yet.

Advertisement