Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

Was that front or rear? Wanted to do the front ones on my Cmax, but they were pressed into the hub, so just got the guy down the road to do it.
    The rear ones I did myself, because it was like that, just undo the hub assembly and Bob's yer Uncle, but of course it's never that easy...

Front. I'd say the rears are easier on my yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

very far from perfect but def an improvment imo

before
    gwxs5Y5.jpg
    after
    4XZqjUj.jpg

my original plan was to actually fill every hole with touch up paint using a toothpick.

But after about 10 holes I got fed up and applied it using an old banklink card. After it had dried a few hrs I wet sanded it with 2000 sandpaper, very lightly. Then polished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yet another delivery, Mr Courier this time.

The box:

351513.jpg

Unboxed:

351514.jpg

A car before:

351515.jpg

Already had deflectors, but front only. 7 years old, went slightly out of shape (one, which was mostly on direct sunlight). And new ones are a bit darker as well.

Difference, old vs. new:

351516.jpg

After:

351517.jpg

Unregistered Users

5 attachment per post limit, so another one.

Ms jou's car before:

351518.jpg

And after:

351519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Am I alone in thinking cars look much better without wind deflectors? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I like the way the deflectors look on some cars but do they serve much of a purpose? I have them on the Golf but... I don't know...

Unregistered Users

Depends on what purpose you need them for.

Would I buy another set if they're useless? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The best thing they do is that you can open the window when it's raining if you're having a smoke or just want to let in some fresh air without getting soaked yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Its like the typical middle aged dad that knows nothing about cars modification, IMO of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I like wind deflectors, had them on a few of my cars as I like the look of them but I never bought some for a car that never had them though and they are not on my current e39.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

More LEDs!!! I was going to put a LED bulb in the glove box as well but there was a plastic which didn't let the copper thing bend as much as it should have to make it work (if that makes any sense :pac:)

18049093584_0f743406bc_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Installed a home-made 2m x 2m sun shade awning for camping on the continent. Cheap and cheerful with bits from Chadwicks...

IMAG0724_zpsmtnqljxk.jpg

All wrapped up and housed in a cylindrical case... (a bit of 4 inch black wavin pipe) and bolted to the roof bars.

IMAG0735_zps4oltodtk.jpg

Thats brilliant! Is it spring loaded or do you just roll it back up? Either way it's cool

Dragons Den!

Thats brilliant! Is it spring loaded or do you just roll it back up? Either way it's cool

I went for the manual version!! Just roll it up and slide it back into the pipe.. sets up in about 2 minutes. Handy in case it rains too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Installed a home-made 2m x 2m sun shadeinawning for camping on the continent. Cheap and cheerful with bit from Chadwicks...

IG]

All wrapped up and housed in a cylindrical case... (a bit of 4 inch black wavin pipe) and bolted to the roof bars.

IG]

Looks great. Had a similar piece of vw wavin in my old van for fishing rods. Seeing your jeep reminded me of this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa Its a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Interslice wrote: »
    Looks great. Had a similar piece of vw wavin in my old van for fishing rods. Seeing your jeep reminded me of this. Its a great read. Link above there in the quote. Stupid phone!

Ive hear of kinshasa, but is bumbashi a real place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Ive hear of kinshasa, but is bumbashi a real place?

I don't know but sounds like somewhere you'd need to watch your back :eek::pac:

Interslice wrote: »
    Looks great. Had a similar piece of vw wavin in my old van for fishing rods. Seeing your jeep reminded me of this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa Its a great read.

I can only dream of being in the same league as that couple's trip... I'll have to make do with scooting around the Alps & Pyrenees for now!

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I can only dream of being in the same league as that couple's trip... I'll have to make do with scooting around the Alps & Pyrenees for now!

Is your yoke converted in the back? If so any pics?

Is your yoke converted in the back? If so any pics?

Not converted I'm afraid. It has to serve as a workhorse throughout the year! But I do have a packing system for it with crates and tie downs and the like. Again, low cost, but does the job for us. Have a big ground tent for camping.

d15df91c7cf811eddb3ea961dcd8d7d9_zps0cdb6b07.jpg

took a bit more than today with the drying of paint and the sanding and the sanding and the sanding!

before(pic taken last summer)

4C1ViOS.jpg

after

L1niPSA.jpg?1

f6rMnMJ.jpg?1

sanded it all down. Filled the holes using filler. primed it, painted it using color match spray from motorcolour.ie( great color match and next day delivery)

gave it 4 or 5 coats of simoniz clear lacquer. Let it about a week to dry(the lacquer makes it look way darker initially until it dries out for a few days)

sanded it level using 2000 grit paper. Then machine compounded it. Have to do a little more to it tomorrow. It'll probably flake off within a month( I did use paint prep before spraying it) but it was fun trying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Massive improvement, well done! Was in a fair state beforehand!

Unregistered Users

nd wrote: »
    took a bit more than today with the drying of paint and the sanding and the sanding and the sanding!

[...]

Very well done! Kneel_Suckers.gif

Would you consider doing front end on mine? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

You'll have that car in brand new factory condition soon enough nd great to see you working through it bit by bit not rushing anything and trying to get it perfect.

Or end up like the father ted car, haha

joujoujou wrote: »
    Very well done! Kneel_Suckers.gif

Would you consider doing front end on mine? :D

no bother if you don't mind being without your front bumper for a month or two, haha

Unregistered Users

nd wrote: »
    no bother if you don't mind being without your front bumper for a month or two, haha
    I've spare bumper. :cool:

• Advertisement

Well if you are ever in the Limerick area. The paint from motorcolour was about 15 euro after delivery. The primer was I think 6 euro and the lacquer was 6 euro(took two cans) :).

Advertisement