Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Been there once in my life. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

nd wrote: »
    Well if you are ever in the Limerick area. The paint from motorcolour was about 15 euro after delivery. The primer was I think 6 euro and the lacquer was 6 euro(took two cans) :).

Wish I'd known that a few months ago. I fixed a dent on my car and got Halfrauds to make up the paint. It didn't spray the paint onto my car, rather it gobbed it. Had I put the paint in my mouth and sneezed it onto my car, it would have achieved a better finish.
    It's uneven, blobby and the color match is extremely poor, it is noticeably darker. No amount of clear lacquer can fix this mess. But I'm stuck with it now and I don't care and the car is too old (and nearing 350k km), so feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

If you want to get that paint off again nail polish remover removes spray can/touch up paint in seconds ( just be sure to rinse it off using apc or washing up liquid ect straight away).

I notice halfords are selling the exact same laquer(same size can) that is 6 euro in the local motor factors for 11.49 :eek:

edit: feck I just noticed motorcolour sell 2k Lacquer in a can! I presume that would be resistant to petrol and other solvents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

nd wrote: »
    If you want to get that paint off again nail polish remover removes spray can/touch up paint in seconds ( just be sure to rinse it off using apc or washing up liquid ect straight away).

I notice halfords are selling the exact same laquer(same size can) that is 6 euro in the local motor factors for 11.49 :eek:

edit: feck I just noticed motorcoulor sell 2k Lacquer in a can! I presume that would be resistant to petrol and other solvents.

Since I did the job about a year ago i doubt it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Boot filled and sprayed today to remove the holes and rust from my de-spoilering antics.
    It is as dull as it seems in the pic but I need to get at it with 2500 and a bit of compound after!

Edit: Bumpers are next on the list!

352040.jpg

• Advertisement

no offense dude but your photography skills leave a bit to be desired! I remember reading a tip a few years ago about always if possible to have the sun to your back when taking photos.

Not that I'm a spray paint can expert or anything but for anyone reading I'd strongly suggest not spraying outdoors. As in my experience even on the calmest of days at least 75% of your paint floats off into the atmosphere. And you end up trying to compensate by moving the can too close.

If you know anyone with a pollytunnel imo they make excellent "spray booths". Open both ends, Even on a cool day they get warm, and excellent light to see what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I took that when i went for chips man :)

It was off and on a friends shed.
    I tried to get the dullness of it currently by getting the light to shine on it, but my photography skills are known as awful around here anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

This week, I are been mostly doing... Vehicular modifications...

Spot the difference..

IMAG0735_zps4oltodtk.jpg

IMAG0756_zpseec8axur.jpg

Said I'd give it a go, to freshen it up if nothing else.

IMAG0748_zpssqxpke2j.jpg

Gave it a full service while I was at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

:pac: :pac:

OqRk6vu.png

Yay!! You win a prize!

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Yay!! You win a prize!

Woohoo... what is it?

It's 3.5 litres of used gearbox oil* , fresh from my gearbox this morning!! Congratulations!!

* collection only :pac:

Umm.. yay!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Got my rocker cover done by Hobby Aqua graphics in Cork to match my Nardi steering wheel... just need to clean the engine bay to match lol

2015-06-17%2023.15.52.png

IMG_20150613_162805.jpg

Looks nice. Too bad the rocker cover picture is so tiny though.

Sorry should be edited now... I hate photo bucket and phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

how much did that set you back?

Sorry should be edited now... I hate photo bucket and phones.

I hate photobucket too. Flickr and Imgur are the best image hosting places, imo.

Anyways pics are all good now. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not too sure how I feel about the black....

352408.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Not too sure how I feel about the black....
    Personal preference and all, but I can see why you have your reservations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A lighter shade on the grilles would contrast better with the head lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'll leave them for a while yet and see, I don't think I could actually remove the chrome from the old ones to replace the black ones, as the plastic is so brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got my rocker cover done by Hobby Aqua graphics in Cork to match my Nardi steering wheel... just need to clean the engine bay to match lol

Did you buy any guns while you were there? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Chanced doing a handy job to take the mind of the hangover! Also sorted a dodgy speaker connection out.

2u930h5.jpg

24oasft.jpg

1f7gib.jpg

Thanks to dgt for the wheel and for pointing out the steering wheel has a reach adjustment! It was just stuck a bit when I tried it :o knee no longer hits the wheel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interslice wrote: »
    Chanced doing a handy job to take the mind of the hangover! Also sorted a dodgy speaker connection out.

Thanks to dgt for the wheel and for pointing out the steering wheel has a reach adjustment! It was just stuck a bit when I tried it :o knee no longer hits the wheel :)

Any hassle with the airbag or is it just a case of clicking together a few connectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Any hassle with the airbag or is it just a case of clicking together a few connectors?

No hassle really. 2 5mm allen bolts at the back of the wheel to remove the airbag. Just pull out the connector then. You might run into trouble if your replacing the airbag with a different one. I know I couldn't fit a 147 wheel anyway as the airbag had a different shape connection. Facelift 156's I think have different connectors too.

Did you buy any guns while you were there? :pac:

Lol... I was going to answer this seriously but lol

De-riced the interior a bit. Before:

18295324584_210b5d188b_c.jpg

And now:

18951410815_d1f404718b_c.jpg

Also did my DIY hockey stick holder... not bad space wise for such a small car, huh? :)

18330685573_9ec0b4faaf_c.jpg

Found one of these under the back seat. :P

18918418225_c14a13af7e_c.jpg

• Advertisement

That's a nice interior.

Advertisement