Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    ...]

Found one of these under the back seat. :P

[...]
    Put it back where it was!

Otherwise weight distribution will be fcuked. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

joujoujou wrote: »
    Put it back where it was!

Otherwise weight distribution will be fcuked. ;)

I think the BMX is doing a good job at that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

De-riced the ...]

Looks a grand car man. Good luck with it!

Looks like we have matching roundy vents beside the wing mirror!! :)

Interslice wrote: »
    Looks a grand car man. Good luck with it!

Looks like we have matching roundy vents beside the wing mirror!! :)

Thanks man

Yeah, looks like we do, except your ones are black. :P

Replaced front bumper on Punto. Whoever had put this silver one on, must have just reached into a tub of bolts and used the first one they came across. To take it off, I had to use 8mm socket, 10mm socket, T35 socket, allen key and a philips screwdriver. I'm not joking.

Before (it looks better in the picture than in real life, it has a nasty mark on the left side)

18990187582_f643b64675_c.jpg

During

18374944883_5670daeca7_c.jpg

After

18373005884_3a83902b04_c.jpg

Picked up this bumper for €15.

• Advertisement

I apologize for the large amount of Punto pictures, but...

I picked up these hub caps. They're not in the best condition, but I got all four of them for €5 and they are original Fiat ones. Wheel bolts hold them in place so there's no need to worry about them falling off without the use of nasty cable ties.

Before:

18376380063_afdb99e460_c.jpg

It looks so much better, imo.

18376366563_7cbe799f33_c.jpg

18970794086_daed28f5bf_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Get a gold coloured bonnet and give the whole thing a clean and a polish and it'd actually look really well! Hubcaps have made a huge difference.

Noticed a knocking during the week, so I jacked up the car today and had a look - drop links needed replacement. No biggie, went to motor factors and swapped out the right one fine. Couldn't get a bolt off the left one and ended up rounding the holding nut, so then tried cutting it and couldn't find a small enough hacksaw. For an easy job it was definitely trying my patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dónal wrote: »
    Noticed a knocking during the week, so I jacked up the car today and had a look - drop links needed replacement. No biggie, went to motor factors and swapped out the right one fine. Couldn't get a bolt off the left one and ended up rounding the holding nut, so then tried cutting it and couldn't find a small enough hacksaw. For an easy job it was definitely trying my patience!

Did you try with a normal size hack saw blade(just the blade) it will take longer to cut but will do the job.

Did you try with a normal size hack saw blade(just the blade) it will take longer to cut but will do the job.

Going to get a small hacksaw tomorrow to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Dónal wrote: »

Any DIY job will always cost twice as much and take three times as long, but only if you're very, very lucky. If a nut rounds or breaks off, time and cost could easily quadruple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So this was my full day yesterday!
    All done but changing out all the bushings have shown me the trailing arms are moving slightly. 2 new front shocks, track rod ends and trail arm bushes next weekend then!

Edit: Just noticed something snook into a pic. Name the engine on the left for one million dollars :)

352736.jpg

352737.jpg

352738.jpg

5ez6gA_thumb.jpeg

Success. They needed to be replaced, but of course the knocking remains - will need more investigation.

Removed those terrible window tints. They had cracks and creases. The one on the back didn't even cover the whole window, and they were too dark as well, imo.

You can scroll up a bit to see a before pic.

18831651000_f1456f8b84_c.jpg

Ta-dah! :)

18831679698_de3a874ee6_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

YB, knowing you it's an SR20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

CianRyan wrote: »
    YB, knowing you it's an SR20.

One million dollars to Cian :)

I hope you will share some of that with me, Cian. I'll take you for a spin in the Punto. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    Removed those terrible window tints. They had cracks and creases. The one on the back didn't even cover the whole window, and they were too dark as well, imo.

Was there a sticky residue left on the window after? My arms fell off trying to get the residue off the golf I was cleaning.

Was there a sticky residue left on the window after? My arms fell off trying to get the residue off the golf I was cleaning.

The tint is in 2 layers and apparently you need to get it up to 30-40 degrees to remove them both at once. I tried heating it up with a hair dryer but only the top layer came off, I was very frustrated at that point, but then I lifted up one corner, grabbed a heavy duty wet wipe and was surprised how easily the bottom layer came off. So I just ripped the top layer off and without any heat, rubbed the bottom layer off with the wet wipes and then cleaned the windows with glass cleaner. They're perfectly clean now and they are not sticky at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You got out handy enough so. Some fool done a disastrous job taking off the tint, leaving the windows all sticky. I had to use petrol and a rag to get it off.

• Advertisement

You got out handy enough so. Some fool done a disastrous job taking off the tint, leaving the windows all sticky. I had to use petrol and a rag to get it off.

That's terrible, but it must have felt great at the end. Also the petrol must have left a nice scent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just ordered up a dension 500s BT with the dension avr and a dvb-t unit to replace my non working analog one for the 645. Should get it all early next week....this will be interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Three weeks ago a guy did the thing in the first picture to my car.

In the last three days some other guys did the thing in the second picture to my car.

I haven't done anything to my car

cletus wrote: »

In the last three days some other guys did the thing in the second picture to my car.

Thats a great job. I'm assuming you're in Limerick judging by your sig. Who did the work for you if you don't mind me asking?

Thats a great job. I'm assuming you're in Limerick judging by your sig. Who did the work for you if you don't mind me asking?

Haven't lived in Limerick in about eight years, however the sig still stands. The work was done in Fitzpatricks garage in Kildare town. They did a good job in fairness

Haven't lived in Limerick in about eight years, however the sig still stands. The work was done in Fitzpatricks garage in Kildare town. They did a good job in fairness

Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

So you didn't manage to swindle hubcaps out of them then:D

TrailerBob wrote: »
    So you didn't manage to swindle hubcaps out of them then:D

No, what with the ****ers not being willing to commit insurance fraud

I put my nice 170w (each) Pioneer door speakers in the Punto. The ones I replaced them with look very much alike but those other ones seem very cheap compared to the Pioneers.

19017368319_5504144fbc_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NN1

I put my nice 170w (each) Pioneer door speakers in the Punto. The ones I replaced them with look very much alike but those other ones seem very cheap compared to the Pioneers.

Have they made much of a difference to the volume or quality of the sound?
    Mind if I ask how much you paid for them?
    I'm looking for something cheap-ish that are better than my crappy factory ones

Advertisement