Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

NN1 wrote: »
    Have they made much of a difference to the volume or quality of the sound?
    Mind if I ask how much you paid for them?
    I'm looking for something cheap-ish that are better than my crappy factory ones

They're definitely better, but those weren't OEM speakers. They had been replaced at some stage before. I have had this Pioneer speakers for a while. They have moved from one car to another. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Today I learned the valuable lesson of buying the proper tool for the job.
    Instead of 6 hours of beating out the trailing arm bushings I bought the removal tool for the E36/E46 and done both in 40mins!

I was replacing them with Poly bushes from Powerflex so it was even more straight forward :)

The following is the tool set to remove the bushing. All i needed was a 19 and wind in the threads. It had no choice but to come out then!

IMG_20150701_5850.jpg

Here is the tool wound to a point where the bushing was about to come out. The bushing is now totally inside the cup area.

IMG_20150701_56462.jpg

Here's the bushing removed, well worn and due a change!

IMG_20150701_18434.jpg

Finally, the polybush in place.
    These come in two halves so need a quick tap in either side and then put a metal sleeve through them.
    They have a lifetime warranty!
    It's about 150% the cost of standard bushings, so I'm doing all the E36 heavy wear points with these!

IMG_20150701_26762.jpg

On a final note, anyone with an E36 or E46 is welcome to this tool. It's a total godsend altogether :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Your pictures are broken :(

Your pictures are broken :(

Feck it I can see them?
    I done it my normal way using boards?

YbFocus wrote: »
    Feck it I can see them?
    I done it my normal way using boards?

Not working for me anyways :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NN1

Not working for me either btw

NN1 wrote: »
    Not working for me either btw

I'll go again :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Same here, linky broken. Did you piss off any mods lately? :p Try reupload.

Now men? Not that I know of Dr. F :)

Now men? Not that I know of Dr. F :)

there we go :D

I changed a similar bush in my yoke today, had no fancy schmancy tool, all i had was a very large socket, a very long bolt and a very big washer and nut. done the exact same thing :)

• Advertisement

there we go :D

I changed a similar bush in my yoke today, had no fancy schmancy tool, all i had was a very large socket, a very long bolt and a very big washer and nut. done the exact same thing :)

Can do that but sometimes it'll pull the middle out and you're left with the shell, you gotta spend time with chisels and crap then! :)
    It had to be ready for the morning and with me doing this in the yard it was to be a fast job :)
    20 mins a side is no joke!

Can do that but sometimes it'll pull the middle out and you're left with the shell, you gotta spend time with chisels and crap then! :)
    It had to be ready for the morning and with me doing this in the yard it was to be a fast job :)
    20 mins a side is no joke!

That is true, I did have to hacksaw out the shell

20 minutes is good going!

That is true, I did have to hacksaw out the shell

20 minutes is good going!

Couldn't believe it, it just walked the job lot out without fuss!
    4 bolts out, pull the bushing, tap in the poly's and 4 bolts in. Done!

Couldn't believe it, it just walked the job lot out without fuss!
    4 bolts out, pull the bushing, tap in the poly's and 4 bolts in. Done!

Jaysis happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Machine polishing the headlights and the sidelight fell in. Incredibly annoying. Sealed except for the hole the bulb fell out of!
    W7tZK9q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Hmm maybe you could fish it out with something sticky on the end of a stick.

Was considering drilling a hole and then plugging it afterwards. Need to keep the crap outa the lens though so not sure that's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

What kind of car is it? If you can't fish it out I'd take out the headlight if it's possible and try shake it out through the hole.

Get one of those flexible magnetic pick up thingys. I think dealz might have em. I know halfords do. It might just stick to the contacts on the bulb.

Its a 2005 a6. Everything in front of the lens is sealed except the bulb hole. Might try a small magnet on a bit of wire. Taking the headlight out is a bumper off type job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I tried to get a normal capped bayonet sidelight out before with a very strong neodium magnet but it wouldn't bite. One of these claw things might do it it it can fit through the hole.

31t-e1KeaUL._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

On a final note, anyone with an E36 or E46 is welcome to this tool. It's a total godsend altogether :)

Good work with the bushings, not a chance would you get them out and in without the proper tool.

I made my own for my E38, worked a treat for about €12 :D :

IMG_27529.jpg~original

Today I did something to my car, took a nice lump out of my rear wheel and tyre. :mad:

wheel2_zpsqnff5vko.jpg~original

Is this the kind of thing that can be patched up by a mobile repair guy? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How did you manage that? Hit a kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yeh, these ridiculously tight entrances to a Centra car park, you have to swing onto the other side of the road to get the right angle to just get in. Place was jammed and got distracted trying to navigate through bedlam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Today I did something to my car, took a nice lump out of my rear wheel and tyre.

Wait until I show you mine, they're chronic bad in comparison. Bordering should have sent them back bad, especially the front ones.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeh, these ridiculously tight entrances to a Centra car park, you have to swing onto the other side of the road to get the right angle to just get in. Place was jammed and got distracted trying to navigate through bedlam.

Would it not make more sense to have the "IN" where the "OUT" is, and the "OUT" where the "IN" is? Currently, traffic leaving has to wait for traffic which could potentially be entering. Switching them around would mean traffic leaving wouldnt have to wait on cars entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would make getting into and out those spaces in front of the shops very difficult though. Especially getting out of the spaces if there are cars turning in off the road behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would make getting into and out those spaces in front of the shops very difficult though. Especially getting out of the spaces if there are cars turning in off the road behind you

You drive in and reverse into your spot in the front of the shop rather than trying to maneuver in front ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Bought a goatse cone and stretchy CV boot

cv_1.jpg

Used a ratchet strap from lidl and put the engine in gear to stop the driveshaft from falling out
    cv_2.jpg

The inner clip was fierce awkward to get on, ended up putting a jubilee clip around it temporarily to bend it into shape

• Advertisement

Right so here this evening I done a little mod I wanted to do since day 1....

I bought some glass paint, yellow stained glass paint to be exact and pulled the front of the car off :)

354421.jpg

I went painting my full beams!

354422.jpg

354423.jpg

354424.jpg

I love that look and I'm chuffed with the result, probably not to everyone's tastes but I always loved it :)

I photoshopped the bumper in one pic too before someone calls me on it :p
    I need to get that done pronto!

Advertisement