Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭cletus

YbFocus wrote: »
    Sorry man but i think that looks a total state!

Boo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Each to there own and all that.
    Didn't mean it like i was running him down or anything.

Just it looks too far out of place to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

One might even say its.....

An odd ball

I'll see myself out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

8 is an even number :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i absolutely understand it's of questionable taste :)

the first thing mrs. fanboi said is that it looks exactly like what my mother has in her car, it took a minute to register with me...

DSC_0801.jpg

it's even referred to as a pool ball gear knob in the brochure!

image.jpg

• Advertisement

So on Thursday on the way home from work, I heard a massive bang (was doing 100+ kph at the time). Took a second or two to pull over, turns out this happened:

C5dAmvh.jpg

uFzdVdS.jpg

Spark plug split in two. Plug and lead were on one side (lead was busted as can be seen), thread was still screwed in. Managed to get that out, did a quick Google and with the suggestion of a risk of fire from only using three plugs out of four, I called breakdown assist.

If I had a spare plug, I'd have got home, but I waited until they arrived (two hours). The guy had no plugs either and everywhere was closed, so I got it towed to my mechanic and got a lift home. Got four new plugs and leads put in on Friday.

Will add one spare spark plug to the car toolkit from now on!

Oh, by the way those plugs were less than two years old. Mechanic said he had never seen that happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

But what caused it to snap? You should try find out as it may happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Could they have been in the wrong heat range for application or something Donal?

No idea what went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Dónal wrote: »
    No idea what went wrong.

That's a strange one!! Manufacturing fault maybe :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe overtorqued on last assembly, the thread stretches the metal and it can separate from the ceramic.
    There is a lot of pressure in the cylinder when the mixture fires and people forget that the only thing holding the ceramic in place is a crimped metal flange.
    I have heard of this happening with Bosch plugs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

355622.jpg

355622.jpg

Having this thing now :pac: i think it's my tyres, but im terrified it's the turbo or something

I still have a sight knock in mine since February :( Its been tested and re-tested since June! Even a mechanic had it for a day! Anti-roll bar bushings me things. TP, I know you polybushed your 9-5. Alan, something in my head tells me you did the same to the 325 or possibly someone else (possibly Yb). If ye dont mind me asking, what am I looking at €€€ wise and where do I look? Ignore my question or PM me if ye like :)

I still have a sight knock in mine since February :( Its been tested and re-tested since June! Even a mechanic had it for a day! Anti-roll bar bushings me things. TP, I know you polybushed your 9-5. Alan, something in my head tells me you did the same to the 325 or possibly someone else (possibly Yb). If ye dont mind me asking, what am I looking at €€€ wise and where do I look? Ignore my question or PM me if ye like :)

For polybushes? usually ebay, or powerflex website. I got an entire subframe kit for 80 euro, anti roll bar bushes are around 30/40 euro, it seems, at least on my car the further from the front the bushing is, the more expensive it gets

For polybushes? usually ebay, or powerflex website. I got an entire subframe kit for 80 euro, anti roll bar bushes are around 30/40 euro, it seems, at least on my car the further from the front the bushing is, the more expensive it gets

Cheers dude. I'll check em out. I'm not expecting anything cheap but at the same time the car needs more money pumped into her. More things for the to do list! :(

Cheers dude. I'll check em out. I'm not expecting anything cheap but at the same time the car needs more money pumped into her. More things for the to do list! :(

Know them feels, i need three new tyres, 120 a corner :( not fun

Know them feels, i need three new tyres, 120 a corner :( not fun

i-know-that-feel.png

:pac:

I'll need a new pair or rears before the year is out I'd say.

:pac: Once i start getting money again i'll manage, when that is ive no clue :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I've just the rear to do on my own, it's a world of difference up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

This is where i test out any suspension components on my cars, there's a striaght run behind it so you can rightly throw the car in, my estate used to sway an awful lot to the right, nowadays, its doesnt even move going through it at 50/60mph

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Did front brake discs and pads tonight - ATE rotors & pagid pads
    Had to flush the fluid also to get the calliper to release pressure.
    Took just under an hour in total
    IMG_1105_zpsyxcfg5zt.jpg
    IMG_1106_zpsw78lmrtf.jpg

Old rotor

IMG_1107_zpsl48f45ww.jpg

New rotors drivers side & passenger side

IMG_1108_zpszpz6f4ff.jpg

IMG_1109_zpsmqiwiofp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I can't believe I never noticed how ugly those mud flaps are.

Before:
    19829190281_3c0cef5f78_c.jpg

After:
    19824363855_9041751b0c_c.jpg

Those 'flaps are up for grabs, free of charge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

@GvidoR when did you get a Punto?

Long time no chat lads :) Still have the GP 1.3 M-Jet, it's in the garage the last 3 weeks, mainly due to the driveshaft bearing cover, needed a part that had to be imported from Italy hence the delay. Hopefully be back on the road this week...

rizzee wrote: »
    @GvidoR when did you get a Punto?

About a month ago. Picked it up very cheap with NCT and all, but have covered nearly 2000 miles with it without an issue.

I had 1st gen Punto two years back too, but that was just a thrash-around, learn-to-wrench sort of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

GvidoR wrote: »
    About a month ago. Picked it up very cheap with NCT and all, but have covered nearly 2000 miles with it without an issue.

I had 1st gen Punto two years back too, but that was just a thrash-around, learn-to-wrench sort of car.

Nice one, I do miss my MK2 (b), my 1st car :)

24e3ja9.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice. That's the Sporting version, is it?

Did ya bring that thing to Nürburgring? :eek: :D

Advertisement