Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Nope bog standard 5 speed 1.2! Haha ah jaysus, back in the day everyone had those stickers :D Resprayed those alloys black myself and a good few plastic bits on the body black it looked well. Sold it to get a diesel Toledo 'cause it had a boooooo :pac: I'd take it back in a heartbeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I'd prefer a Toledo though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

That actually reminds me, I looked through the drawer there, if anyone is looking for a GTI (red 'i') badge give me a shout :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Getting a little tired of this old starlet and its weird faults! How does this even happen?? :confused:

IMG_9585_zps6yo3qmd7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Happens to a lot of starlets! Passenger/ driver side are interchangable afaik if you take them apart. The least fun bit is reconnecting it inside the door. Don't be discourages though, less than a half hours job.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Happens to a lot of starlets! Passenger/ driver side are interchangable afaik if you take them apart. The least fun bit is reconnecting it inside the door. Don't be discourages though, less than a half hours job.

Good to know. I can live with common faults. Any idea of the price of this new from Toyota? Will be my third time at the parts dept in less than a week :rolleyes:

Common with the e11 corolla too (well I saw it happen on 2 of them except mine).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Good to know. I can live with common faults. Any idea of the price of this new from Toyota? Will be my third time at the parts dept in less than a week :rolleyes:

Yeah, i only say it as you'l find it a lot easier to find a passenger side one in a breakers than a driver side. That said, it looks like your passenger side broke?

I'd say toyota might shock you for the whole assembly, there is a little mod you can do to the replacement to stop that happening again too. I'l post it when i'm on the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I hate catalysts. I hate EGR's even more. However, instead of moaning about it I did something about it

Gather up heaps of scrap
    19685911199_f118358584_h.jpg

Pick the best exhaust and stack beside one freshly removed from the car
    19872549445_ca18466122_h.jpg

Cut, position, align
    19249876394_7c0b971c5b_h.jpg

Weld
    19684535780_025ce59312_h.jpg

Fit to vehicle
    19872552655_a75023fce3_h.jpg

EGR is a bit more fun. I've already fiddled with this car before so it's very quick to remove the inlet manifold for a fast turbo change
    19249888684_de6ae4d321_h.jpg

The EGR inlet/outlet on both manifolds are metal. One way to permanently f*ck them up for good
    19872483445_3d075c182c_h.jpg

Horay! Driving experience much better, fuel economy up, power up, same smoke as before. Winning!!! :D

Sadly, I have a lot of work done to this car already such as a full brake/steering/suspension overhaul etc and no pics of them due to lack of time.

However I have a few more jobs for this car on my to do list :)

Some anus had installed a 306 stalk in my car, prior to purchase
    19881777562_526c530a75_h.jpg

This meant that on full beams, I would have no dip beams to compliment my fulls. Thus, a cross eyed 406 :(
    19702592769_da2f4ee49e_h.jpg

Thankfully, I got a Xantia one on ebay (I somehow fudged that up and haven't a pic of it!!!)

Simple to change. Remove the shroud, remove the retaining screws and slide it out. Disconnect the plugs
    19266602074_7d20c379fc_h.jpg
    19701246470_fd85aad5a6_h.jpg

Much much better :)
    19268322943_72dd433f5e_h.jpg

As for my old stalk, well, it's ended up here :D

More fun in due time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

That's not a 306 stalk its a single optic stalk, it was original equipment for some 406 and 306 models, twin optic gave full and mains together which you have now :)

I have never seen a 406 with those stalks before, they were changed as the old unit was in the boot. It was either a 306 or 106 stalk, wasn't right either way...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Its french parts allocation, the 106, 306, 406, xsara etc all had both twin optic and single optic switches, the earlier had single, later models all had twins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ahh, French cars...

Having parts changed on a weekly basis on an assembly line. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A very small job but proud of it nonetheless as I figured it out myself rather than going to YouTube :-)

The windscreen washer nozzles on my civic were both only firing a single jet of water so I popped the hood and released the clips holding them in place, plyed them off the pipe and dunked them in kettle descaler for 10 minutes.

Rinsed them under the tap and then lined the nozzle of a cannister of compressed air with the end of each of the nozzles to clear whatever was blocking them.

Tested them under the tap and both now had water flowing from both nozzles. Fitted them back on the bonnet and now have a fully working windscreen cleaning system :-)

Thanks to a fellow boardsie - job seeker, I got a boot full of stuff, some of which may or may not look familiar to dgt. :P

19912273212_125699ed27_c.jpg

So far I've just gotten around to changing the headlights, which means the bumper had to come (partly) off.

19328838504_e5576220f1_c.jpg

Testing before re-assembling.

19758663780_54c28983f9_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What car are the boot full of stuff for?

It's all Punto stuff in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The wilds of shligo hai

Brave man

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You gonna get the fogs working?

I'll check if I can replace the dummy plastic on one side with the fog light from another headlight and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

@GvidoR - Your very welcome, also it was nice to meet you in person... :)

@Supergurrier - The one and only.. :P

Them bits look unfamiliar alright! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

@dgt .. is that same , which i have seen couple years ago in your field ?? :D

Mar4ix wrote: »
    @dgt .. is that same , which i have seen couple years ago in your field ?? :D

Exact same! :D

job seeker wrote: »
    @GvidoR - Your very welcome, also it was nice to meet you in person... :)

Likewise. :)

Changed the tail lights. No before/after pics because they are identical. The odd blinking issue is still there.

19978396995_292ab6ee2f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think you installed them very well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

colm_mcm wrote:
    I don't think you installed them very well....

Tail lights are over rated anyway...

Advertisement