Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The missus car A3 (2.0 tdi bkd) went into limp mode last week then started making funny noises (her words), please not the turbo!!

So the first day I've had off with no rain so under the car and crossed the fingers for a split pipe....
    IMG_20151219_104230_zpsjlcx8dwk.jpg

Wohoo, sort of. Intercooler pipe completely split.
    €114 from Audi, cheaper for after market part, will order it up and fit this week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

My boss is famous of wrecking his Subaru on every single track day he participates in. (or more like his "tuner")

Got my head around to tear down his first lump..

20151217_160508.jpg

Obvious failure of stock oil pump on a car pushing 400 ponies..

20151217_155737.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Boxer engines are so interesting.

I remember watching a rebuild video on YouTube. Gotta love the sound of uneven headers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Just a small service on a normal car :)
    23249408153_b64e74d1f9_h.jpg

Fuel filter was handy, plugs were mostly easy just the rears had extra stuff to remove to access
    23850102256_35cffc2fe3_h.jpg

Cleaned the battery tray drain too as it was clogged
    23876201485_18fdf864ae_h.jpg

More small bits and bobs to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Jaysus, surprising that it's not a diesel :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Just a small service on a normal car :)

Fuel filter was handy, plugs were mostly easy just the rears had extra stuff to remove to access

Cleaned the battery tray drain too as it was clogged

More small bits and bobs to do :)

300zx :) nice! have one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

dmaprelude wrote: »
    300zx :) nice! have one myself

Yaaaaaaay more than just me! Yours a twin turbo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Yaaaaaaay more than just me! Yours a twin turbo? :D

It is indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Steering wheel retrimmed and M5 mirrors retrofitted...

wheel1.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    wheel4.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    mirror2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Just curious how is the metal skin removed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yet another wheelbearing on the cmax, I can do them inside 2 hours now. It can be done faster, but its very important to clean every tiny bit and bolt as you go along, or next time you'll be at it a minimum of 4 to 6 hours.
    And the hose from the intercooler to the air intake has split, so that's next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Replaced rear wiper motor.

Soldered low brake pad warning wires together to switch off dash light.

Opened up xenon headlamp with heat gun to glue broken projector shroud in place.

Topped up all fluids and checked tyre pressures.

Replaced rear wiper motor.

Soldered low brake pad warning wires together to switch off dash light.

Opened up xenon headlamp with heat gun to glue broken projector shroud in place.

Topped up all fluids and checked tyre pressures.

Great days work. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yesterday's purchase:

372755.jpg

'twill be alright for a year, hopefully. :D

Is that on right now? Will have to get myself down there. Been running that stuff for ages now in my car.

Is that on right now? Will have to get myself down there. Been running that stuff for ages now in my car.

Traffic on the Ballysimon rd is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yesterday's purchase:

'twill be alright for a year, hopefully. :D

Were OPEC on the phone to you afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They will be trying to sell you shares next :). Did halfords throw in a fuel filter at least :?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I'm struggling to see the logic behind buying 10 bottles just because they were cheap I mean if you change the car it may not take that grade oil and unless your doing insane mileage or servicing the car every 2k miles I can't see the point only my opinion though. But to me a year supply would have been enough to buy considering its on sale at least once a year. Great price the oil in saying all that.

Unregistered Users

Engine burns 0.75l of oil a week. Changing a car is not an option. And nobody would make an engine rebuild even for a 5 years worth of oil.

So that's simple maths. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Engine burns 0.75l of oil a week. Changing a car is not an option. And nobody would make an engine rebuild even for a 5 years worth of oil.

So that's simple maths. :]

Ah ok makes a lot more sense now. I never even considered the car burning oil sorry. I've never experienced it so would forget and only think of oil as being used during services. My bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's a fair drop of the black stuff. Although it's something I have to keep an eye on now too. What would be the best way to cure oil burn though, replace piston oil rings? I know it wouldn't be an economic repair option and would easily be equal to the value of an old family runabout car.

Unregistered Users

At least oil rings. But, as I mentioned, it's too expensive. And unfortunately I've not enough experience (not enough patience either) to DIY that. Ahh, no facility either - all I do, I do under the open skies, so very weather dependant, if you know what I mean. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

At least oil rings. But, as I mentioned, it's too expensive. And unfortunately I've not enough experience (not enough patience either) to DIY that. Ahh, no facility either - all I do, I do under the open skies, so very weather dependant, if you know what I mean. :o
    Its a pita working outside this time of year.
    Its usually the piston oil drain holes that give trouble on those, I have seen plenty of them where they just gummed up solid and thats what causes the oil consumption issues.
    There was at least 3 revisions of the piston to correct the too small and too few oil hole problem, the later ones have massive holes compared to the early ones and a lot more as well.
    If I was gong down that road, I'd be putting in new 1ZZ pistons/rings/rods/crankshaft and making it a 1.8.
    That series 1ZZ 3ZZ and 4ZZ were modular engines as the bore is all the same @79mm but the stroke is different.
    2ZZ is a different beast.

Unregistered Users

If I was able to, I'd go the same route. :)

Apart from all the bits you mentioned, injectors, camshafts, exhaust and fuel pump must be swapped as well (read it somewhere). And it's highly recommended to upgrade front brakes to stop such a beasht. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

This weather is horrible. It's wet and gets dark so quick. Without a garage it's a pain to do anything. At least I got my dash cam wiring hidden today.

23399569103_fae6ebd901_b.jpg

24000240856_2568bfcd29_b.jpg

23943790411_323f5ec65f_b.jpg

Well, over the last week I put in a new rear wheel bearing, patched up the hose from the intercooler to the air intake, put in a new idler gear for the fan belt (wheel has to come off and wheel arch liner has to come out) and had a rear tire patched. The old Dieselselbstzünderdirekteinspritzungabgasturbienenpersonenkraftwagen is ready for another few million kilometers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I was able to, I'd go the same route. :)

Apart from all the bits you mentioned, injectors, camshafts, exhaust and fuel pump must be swapped as well (read it somewhere). And it's highly recommended to upgrade front brakes to stop such a beasht. ;)
    Nothing else apart from Rods/pistons and Crank/bearings needs changing, same injectors cam and exhaust all standard and work fine.
    Maybe brakes might be a good thing at the same time but the rest is not necessary.
    Valve lift and timing is the same, the 1.8 pistons are shorter than the 1.4 so no interference and the compression ratio is kept standard.
    If you use 1.6 or 1.4 pistons they have a higher gudgeon to crown height and make the compression ratio too high for normal running.

Advertisement