Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

Cabin filter and PCV Valve just changed on 06 golf, was waiting for the rain to stop, and 20 mins later back to happy motoring.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I tried pulling it off (over a hoodie) but it didn't come off. I put the bulbs back in. Either way, doesn't really matter, I already ordered new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

robbiew wrote: »
    Cabin filter and PCV Valve just changed on 06 golf, was waiting for the rain to stop, and 20 mins later back to happy motoring.. :)

What made you change the PCV valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

shietpilot wrote: »
    Are you sure the bulb is green?

Usually it's a clear bulb that has a green rubber sleeve on it. Try to pull it off.

was thinking that too!

What made you change the PCV valve?

running a bit rough when turbo hit max boost, also when i changed diverter noticed a small bit of oil, after i changed the pcv the car def runs smoother.

• Advertisement

Ah well, it's too late now, and those €2.56 I saved will go towards a delicious kebab I will get tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Put a new battery in the mondeo today. Old one lasted 7.5 years, not bad going. The air filter housing needed to come out so the battery could slide out, bit of a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

Put a new thermostat and injector seal in my merc ml 270, all good so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Nothing hectic, car wash broke the antenna of my Cmax. New antenna €10, but base was also beyond use, another €20 from Ford themselves. Can't live without radio in my car. Easy enough job, inside light pops out, one screw and Bob's yer uncle.
    From an earlier job, the patched up air intake hose and wheel bearing have made the car sooooo much more bearable. Before that it was blowing air at the front and howling like a Lancaster bomber from the back. My nerves would be frazzled after my commute, now I waft in in near silence. Well, as silent as a diesel Cmax gets...
    Once you go over 300k km, the Cmax just becomes crisis management rather than servicing.

GvidoR wrote: »
    I tried pulling it off (over a hoodie) but it didn't come off. I put the bulbs back in. Either way, doesn't really matter, I already ordered new ones.

i love the analog style clocks on the older fords..

• Advertisement

Once you go over 300k km, the Cmax just becomes crisis management rather than servicing.

Once you get that far it becomes fun seeing how far can it go before it falls apart though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Got a pair of suction control valves fitted to the diesel pump today. Well it drives like a new jeep now. It had been starved of diesel, and getting stuck on acceleration for a while. One mechanic wanted to put a recon pump in it for a cool €1000... No thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

robbiew wrote: »
    i love the analog style clocks on the older fords..

Me too. Some of the more newer passats, and cc's went back to analog clocks too - the b6 facelift.

Ah yes, the days when you got a clock instead of a tachometer.

Just that one bit extra to make you rush even more for work when you're late...

Once you get that far it becomes fun seeing how far can it go before it falls apart though :rolleyes:

Well, clutch, suspension and brakes are done, as is timing belt. Engine and gearbox are good, as is the rest. The only thing that hasn't seen any attention is the turbo, so I'm considering getting that one done this year as preventative maintenance.
    Timing belt might have to be done again at 400k km, clutch should see 500k km, suspension, well, I'll replace it as needed.
    There is no reason on earth this car shouldn't do 500k km with a bit of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Well, clutch, suspension and brakes are done, as is timing belt. Engine and gearbox are good, as is the rest. The only thing that hasn't seen any attention is the turbo, so I'm considering getting that one done this year as preventative maintenance.
    Timing belt might have to be done again at 400k km, clutch should see 500k km, suspension, well, I'll replace it as needed.
    There is no reason on earth this car shouldn't do 500k km with a bit of care.

Your probably at the stage now where you wouldn't want to change it just to see how far it can go :) But your right there is no reason why it won't keep going once it's minded. However it will eventually get to the stage where it will become uneconomical to repair and at that stage I suppose it's up to you to decide whether the car is worth it to you to spend the money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Just that one bit extra to make you rush even more for work when you're late...

What was the reason for bringing that in? The idea that mere mortals shouldn't know about such mundane technical detail as what speed the engine is running at? Steve Jobs would have been proud of the f*cker who thought of that

shietpilot wrote:

I know some cars are like that, but I have both. ;)

CIP4 wrote: »
    Your probably at the stage now where you wouldn't want to change it just to see how far it can go :) But your right there is no reason why it won't keep going once it's minded. However it will eventually get to the stage where it will become uneconomical to repair and at that stage I suppose it's up to you to decide whether the car is worth it to you to spend the money on.

My guess, that would be around 500k km, when the clutch goes again and by then it might need shocks and springs again. IMO as long as engine, gearbox and body is sound, the rest is manageable.
    Though in my case, the mileage is mostly motorway, so it's not Übercritical. It actually still drives very nice. You would never think it has the miles on it that it does. I think it was in worse shape when I bought it. :D

OSI wrote: »
    Rev limiters made them redundant for the majority of drivers.

A tachometer is still better than a giant clock right in your face. It's fine to have a clock somewhere in the car but it's not a priority at all whilst driving, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i remember i had a '98 106 with a giant clock. was always a source of banter with the lads as clearly there should be a rev counter there, nobody needs a clock that big.

pe0xbnf1.jpg

I love how simple that cluster is! Not a single fault/check engine light :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

i remember i had a '98 106 with a giant clock. was always a source of banter with the lads as clearly there should be a rev counter there, nobody needs a clock that big.

[foto]

Paddy spec. Needed upgrade. ;)

373779.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I have something similar on the ould 405.

I am sure there was a 304 back in the day that had no tacho, although most of them did and they were all carburetted so unlikely to have a limiter

I have something similar on the ould 405.

I am sure there was a 304 back in the day that had no tacho, although most of them did and they were all carburetted so unlikely to have a limiter

On some carburetted cars they had rev limiters by having a mechanism inside the distributor that would short out the power going to the spark plugs using centrifugal force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Today i done some work on my new e46 320d :) , changed air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter , new oil , cleaned inlet manifold and egr valve , removed swirl flaps ( that are well known to destroy these engines) . wished i had got more pictures to show you but wanted to get this done asap as it was stressing me out :)

changed air filter.

IMG_1431.jpg

changed the well known crankcase breather filter to a more uprated one (vortex)

IMG_1432.jpg

removed the infamous swirl flaps and replaced them with 22mm aluminium blanks

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Also noticed my left cluster reset button on my odometer wasnt working , opened it up to find a tiny plastic piecehad broken off !! :(

fixed it with one of these would you believe :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=338207&d=1257975673

attachment.php?attachmentid=338205&d=1257975673

attachment.php?attachmentid=338201&d=1257975423

working as good as new now :)

in total it took me over 7 hours to do the lot :eek: and only costed me 130e for all parts :) probably would have took a good mechanic if even 90 mins to 2 hours to complete , but its the satisfaction of doing it myself i love most :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great work man, you've all the preventative done now :)

Did the breather have the vortex type filter?
    If not you should upgrade to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

Was gonna post about changing the battery in my car, but pudsey's post has me feeling bad now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

YbFocus wrote: »
    Great work man, you've all the preventative done now :)

Did the breather have the vortex type filter?
    If not you should upgrade to it.

thanks man , yeah it was the vortex one , much better than the old sponge type one IMO :)
    cletus wrote: »
    Was gonna post about changing the battery in my car, but pudsey's post has me feeling bad now

haha post away , at least u done it yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Great work Pudzey, fair play! :D

Advertisement