Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Looking to get a trolley jack for myself for doing the odd bit on the car
    are the halfords trolley jacks any good?

Looking at this one http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack-short-wheel-base

Might only be used once or twice a year so not going to be spending a huge amount on one thanks all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Replaced my Rocker Cover gasket today, hopefully it solves my oil leak problem!

IMG_20160124_154723_zpse7tesike.jpg

IMG_20160124_171054_zpse14ddqv7.jpg

IMG_20160124_171101_zpsxxrklgql.jpg

IMG_20160124_172426_zpsfdidu5au.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

bmstuff wrote: »
    BMW E46 with 2015 NBT iDrive retrofit from a F25 BMW

We designed and made the screen bezel. The owner, who is based in New Zealand did the rest.

Sweet isn't?

web_e46_final_2.jpg
    I'd like to know much more about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

crasy dash wrote: »

Looking at this one http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack-short-wheel-base

Might only be used once or twice a year so not going to be spending a huge amount on one thanks all:)

They have a nice low profile jack for 40 - picked one up and it was decent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think I have that one or the next one up (hard to tell from the pics), the only criticism I would have, the "pump action whatchamacallit bit to raise it up where you stick in the long bit" (exact technical term escapes me atm) doesn't swivel. My garage is fairly tight as far as width is concerned, and having that swivel certainly made life easier. I've managed so far, but it is something to be aware of.

edit:
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack
    I think I have that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

GvidoR wrote: »
    I got it from Hong Kong for under a euro including shipping so I'm not complaining. It'll record about an hour so with it, I haven't checked yet. It'll do for now, will try this for a while and possibly get a bigger one down the line if I need to know.

With cheap/nonamebrand cards its worth checking it with a program called h2testw. I've bought a few 32GB class 10 cards (allegedly) recently, and all of them only had 7.5GB reliable space. I complained and got a refund; I reckon they didn't want bad feedback. I resized the partition, so I've now got several 7.5GB cards for free. None are class 10 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

For anyone who isn't following my yaris thread...

.And it's update time again! :)
    Stickerbombed ashtray and glove box reinstalled.. :) :cool:
    WP_20160119_002_zpsukf1uoze.jpg
    WP_20160119_003_zps3uscf4rj.jpg

This is the head unit I picked up from a friend for free.. will get that installed in the next two or three weeks. ;)
    WP_20160120_001_zpsmscragwh.jpg

These are the centre caps I picked up for it. 6Euro for the lot. :cool:
    WP_20160119_001_zpsox4pwy5e.jpg

But unfortunately they are to big. I was then telling this to another boards member who I was talking to on FB. He suggested to push them in a bit harder and two clips broke. but now they fit perfectly.. :confused: :pac: :cool:
    WP_20160124_005_zps3bagr92d.jpg

I also finished spraying the alloys, very happy with how they turned out.
    (Didn't bother masking, as they have wires coming through the tyres, so they will see the silage pit come summer time.)
    WP_20160124_002_zpsa7kwnzuz.jpg

One of the alloys with the centre cap. will get my current tyres swapped over and alloyes on the car soon.
    WP_20160124_004_zpscjsktukg.jpg

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I know many jacks are the same but I don't like them without the pad on where the jack meets the sill. They just end up damaging the lip on the sill unless a bit of wood or something similar is put between the jack and the sill.

One of these jacks with a pad to protect the sill is much nicer imo.

K12063.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Refurbished the wheels the other day...Style 32 x 18" in light anthracite

DSC_1906.JPG

DSC_1909.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

@job seeker - out of curiosity, what keeps the stickers from peeling off over time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

cletus wrote: »
    @job seeker - out of curiosity, what keeps the stickers from peeling off over time

Nothing really. I put the insulation tape on around the edge to prevent the stickers from peeling on the curved edge as that's where it was starting. So it seems to be doing the job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

How to install a dash cam
    This is cheap, easy and does not take up your cigarette lighter, which also makes the wiring a bit easier and neater.

Grab a piggy back fuse adapter and 12v to 2x 5v USB adapters off eBay for a total cost of €10 or less. Connect both red wires. Here's what they look like:
    24566102201_160680f20e_b.jpg

Strip the black wire and make a circle, or use a ring terminal and then find a good place for ground, like this:
    24021485263_4118b6dd32_b.jpg

Insert adapter into fusebox.
    24566101601_d8f28e4c23_b.jpg

Plug in dash cam and test if everything is working okay.
    24539923512_d67eb65357_b.jpg

Put dash cam somewhere on the windscreen and run the wire behind the roof lining, side pillar and wherever else to make it tidy and voila!
    24021486683_01738eb194_b.jpg

Side note: Depending on which fuse you use, power may be constant or come on along with the ignition. Hopefully someone finds this useful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Side note: Depending on which fuse you use, power may be constant or come on along with the ignition. Hopefully someone finds this useful. :)

That can work on blank circuits on extras that don't come with the car also for example when I'd the primera there was a switched circuit (no fuse) I used that was labelled as the airbag in other primeras even though mine didn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

How to install a dash cam
    This is cheap, easy and does not take up your cigarette lighter, which also makes the wiring a bit easier and neater.

Grab a piggy back fuse adapter and 12v to 2x 5v USB adapters off eBay for a total cost of €10 or less. Connect both red wires. Here's what they look like:

Strip the black wire and make a circle, or use a ring terminal and then find a good place for ground, like this:

Insert adapter into fusebox.

Plug in dash cam and test if everything is working okay.

Put dash cam somewhere on the windscreen and run the wire behind the roof lining, side pillar and wherever else to make it tidy and voila!

Clean job that! I had one of those 12V to 5V converters (looked exactly the same) for charging my phone and it was the fastest way to charge the phone in the car. I had to scrap it because every time I was charging the phone the FM signal would be brutal and there would be interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

That ground needs some work, can't have wires hanging like it wrapped around a bolt come on. Get a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

That ground needs some work, can't have wires hanging like it wrapped around a bolt come on. Get a ring.

The ground wire connection is between two washers and bolt on top. I do realize a ring terminal would be better but I didn't have one at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Refurbished the wheels the other day...Style 32 x 18" in light anthracite

DSC_1906.JPG

DSC_1909.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG

Where.. and how much?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

keano25 wrote: »
    Where.. and how much?:D

I called first dibs :D

Put in LED registration plate bulbs this morning.

34q0hB4.jpg

Looks much better than the yellow incandescent bulbs that were there before!

These are the bulbs:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-39mm-led-canbus-festoon-bulb-6-smd-5050-door-light-c5w-12v-dc-high/32271950677.html

Less than a fiver for 2! The local motor factors were selling bulbs that looked exactly the same for about €25 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

shietpilot wrote:
    Put in LED registration plate bulbs this morning.

You around Mayo? Car looks somewhat familiar.

• Advertisement

You around Mayo? Car looks somewhat familiar.

Nope.

Rathcoole, County Dublin.

The previous owner was a woman down in Mayo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Picked these up yesterday for the Passat. Other wheels wore starting to do my head in.
    Snapchat_3600132684523059085.jpg

Sweet choice. How was the search for monoblocks? Their so hard to find in good condition. Are they staggered merc ones or replicas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

They're only reps from what I can tell. Assuming genuine ones are stamped? I seen them pop up on a Facebook group and went and picked them up 2 hours later haha

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Exhaust broken just after the mid silencer, have to cut out this bit and rejoin.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/700762/376212.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Nothing major, just new plates
    IMG_1419_zps9punxbrh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Right so ever since I bought my new astra it has been losing a small drop of water, not much, maybe a litre over a few days.

So I went looking as the previous owner said he had done the frost plugs recently....

What I found really annoyed me, he tried and failed to swap one out and had smacked a hole through it. He then put in 50 cent in front of the hole and used 14 tubes of chemical metal and 28 tubes of tec7 to try seal it.

This is a pic of me after clearing it and leaving the 50 cent back where I found it!

376375.jpg

I went to my other astra engine and retrieved the best frost plug.
    Put it in no problems and bled the system (well, it did itself, automatically Gvido :pac:).

376376.jpg

A bit pissed at the state of the repair! Hope I don't find more bodged crap!

Nothing worse than a BAD bodge.

On my dad's Corolla one of the fuses had blown and the previous owner decided to join the fuse pins with some copper wire :mad::mad::mad:

shietpilot wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a BAD bodge.

On my dad's Corolla one of the fuses had blown and the previous owner decided to join the fuse pins with some copper wire :mad::mad::mad:

Its so fecking annoying like! That fix was pure dangerous!

On two previous attempts I had tried to change the brake pads on my corolla, but I struggled to move the caliper piston back in on one side. I picked up a laser brake piston rewinding tool on Friday just gone, and had both sides changed in an hour.

Was pricey from Halfords - half the price on Amazon - but job is done now.

• Advertisement

Fronts are usually fine and I have an art form made of using a g clamp and a snipe nosed pliers for the rears :)
    There is a lot to be said for proper tools though :)

Advertisement