Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Drove out of the centre a happy man, until I noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight. :(

Back again tomorrow.

That has to be the worst motoring feeling ever! You get the alignment done and notice the wheel is cocked to one side to drive straight :mad:

Been there, done that absolute rage moments afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I know! Was 50 metres down the road and I was thinking "ah for f******** sake!". I even gave him a tip as he normally does a good job, oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I know! Was 50 metres down the road and I was thinking "ah for f******** sake!". I even gave him a tip as he normally does a good job, oh the irony.

Are u going back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

blade1 wrote: »
    Are u going back?
    Back again tomorrow.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd SO love to have an indoor (or even covered) workplace!

• Advertisement

I'd be happy with a small bit of tarmac or something as all I've got is uneven gravel. Could get a gazebo or something to cover the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Timing belt and waterpump on the 1.8T Golf. Got a new thermostat while I was at it which turned out to be the wrong one and when removing the old one the seal split. So after doing the belt/pump/tensioner with nothing only a basic socket set and a few spanners in my driveway I was defeated by a friggin thermostat. At least it's only a quick job, 2 bolts and it's done. 160k miles on this car now and it's still running like a dream. Going to do pads and discs next weekend and two front wishbones before the NCT. Should sail through for the third year in a row

http://i.imgur.com/c626FdD.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

GvidoR wrote: »
    I'd be happy with a small bit of tarmac or something as all I've got is uneven gravel. Could get a gazebo or something to cover the car.

Yeah, but you couldn't jack up the car on the gravel, especially if it's uneven. My drive is the same, if I jack up my car there, it starts sliding sideways. Not safe! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Brought the 7 back today for a second alignment, fair play to your man, he took it back in straight away with no waiting and redid it from scratch.

He explained it was down to the weight of the 7 series which he's not used to dealing with, which causes the plates on which the wheels sit to not move as freely as they should, which threw off this adjustment yesterday. Got it bang on today first go; it was actually the rear that threw off the front alignment.

Tom McElarney in Dundalk's Wheel Alignment Centre, recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Replaced the discs and pads all around today, pads didn't need it but said I'd do them while doing the discs.

The old rotten crap:

IMG_20160206_150023_zpstme3470u.jpg

IMG_20160206_165114_zpsackdthxi.jpg

New much improved discs:

IMG_20160206_172544_zpssxslf8d1.jpg

IMG_20160206_190327_zps5gnd9c1o.jpg

IMG_20160206_160915_zpsf5efqzeg.jpg

Easy enough job bar every bolt being seized :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

What are those discs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Why did you go for the dried and grooved discs out of interest?

Were you getting a lot of brake fade?

What are those discs?

They're MTEC discs, seem to be good quality, good price and get good reviews. Mintex pads.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Why did you go for the dried and grooved discs out of interest?

Were you getting a lot of brake fade?

They were the same price whether they were Solid, Grooved, drilled and grooved, dimpled etc, said I'd try out the Drilled and Grooved. Look nice too.

Replaced the Crankcase Ventilation System in the 525i today, handy enough job but some of the pipes where a bit annoying to reconnect/budge.

The main deconstruction:

IMG_20160207_131816_zpsul1ref5f.jpg

Throttle Body ready to be removed:

IMG_20160207_133631_zps7k2w51yk.jpg

IMG_20160207_140249_zpsznrt90td.jpg

The old Oil Separator:

IMG_20160207_150155_zpsoesyzj46.jpg

All the old components, brittle and snapped easy when removing:

IMG_20160207_151251_zpsrwrfyg5g.jpg

All new Genuine BMW Parts to replace them:

IMG_20160207_152722_zpsxdx9rifg.jpg

Cleaned the dipstick in and out while I was at it:

IMG_20160207_155621_zpsshycmqne.jpg

Job Done:

IMG_20160207_193917_zpspsizxue6.jpg

Getting the hang of this aul DIY stuff now :) New Ignition Coil, Service and Oil Filter Housing Gasket next weeekend hopefully!

Halfords Advanced Professional also died while undoing the thermostat housing. Threw my teng 1/4 inch on after this and that undid the two bolts without a problem. Had to be a 1/4 inch ratchet for access. This was the first time the Halfords one was used on the car, pc case was the only other thing it was used on. Hope they stand over the warranty. That Halfords set was dearer than the equivalent Teng set and the Teng stuff is lightyears ahead

http://i.imgur.com/0srcB1H.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The Teng has a feel of quality that the Halfords stuff lacks so usually worth the extra bobs, got the 1/4 inch set in a black Friday sale :)
    I've heard Halfords can be sticky over warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

The old teng stuff does feel good I'm not impressed with the teng sets in the last two to three years.
    Storage cases are cheap looking as well latches snapping

Have an old teng 3/8 set I'd be lost without it as you said it just feels good in the hand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hard to know whats decent, lots of manufacturers have economy lines as well as their better grade tools.
    I like King Tony stuff, seems to be very durable and parts are available from the agent in Youghal.
    I have a Bahco 3/8" set and its been good so far, they are made in Taiwan now though AFAIK.
    I have 3 x 3/8" sets Powercraft Professional from Lidl, Bahco and another one which I have had for years which had a forgettable name but has proven to be very good.
    Then in 1/2" I have a Acesa set and a Rolcraft which was amazingly cheap for a 1/2 and 1/4 set with plenty of socketry and has taken dogs abuse and lasted very well.
    Never bought Halfords stuff so I can't comment on its quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just a small job today.
    This worn switch has being bugging me a while...
    8CDFFD8C-E6F4-429F-AF4D-2366E19FE5EB_zpspoghtj1m.jpg

Outer ring came off easy but had to prise off switch centre which resulted in it snapping
    E4375AFE-265A-4279-8A06-ED1A101C926F_zpsl2recxsr.jpg

2 little tabs on either side were the cause of it breaking so I don't think it can be removed without damaging it.
    Once the tabs are pulled out the last white bit can be removed
    C04B51FA-1513-4F72-AB7A-BD6259A1B4D9_zps7eegep9x.jpg

Now the new one just clicks into place and swit swoo!!:pac:
    5CE4B626-864A-4A55-9226-531A930C874D_zpsvkyloegy.jpg

Not much, just inspected and cleaned air filter. When putting it back in, replaced the semi-stripped airbox screws with new shiny ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Ah nothing like working in the dark in the freezing cold with a nice drizzle too!
    The wife's car started losing coolant yesterday, was losing enough to set the sensor off after a minute or two after refill so I had to go find the leak.

Looked like it was coming from the bottom of the rad and eventually got the fans covering it loose with the aid of a chapmans and a hex bit on the drivers side top, patience was the key!

Found the leak! There are two metal clips that hold the power cable for the fans away from the rad and after 10 years had rubbed the rad enough to wear a hole in it causing it to leak, not bad but I guess under pressure when hot it pisses out.

Need to order a new rad, most of the breakers around Dublin don't have any at the moment.

In the dark!
    IMG20160211194119_zpsbs7gswhc.jpg

Can just about see the two marks
    IMG20160211193709_zpspyoyhxtt.jpg

And the culprits!
    IMG20160211193714_zps4cexxqlo.jpg

Nice handy job today. Cam cover gasket, I'd had a small bit of oil dribbling out the back and a couple of the plugs were getting oil in at the top. Sorted now though so hopefully no more drips on the driveway

Finally successful in getting a dry(ish) day to get the ply-lining done on the van! After weeks of delays I can now get my measuring done to continue with things. The joys of all work taking place on the driveway and in the elements so a slave to mother nature and what she'll allow.

Such a relief! Photos tomorrow :D

Finally successful in getting a dry(ish) day to get the ply-lining done on the van! After weeks of delays I can now get my measuring done to continue with things. The joys of all work taking place on the driveway and in the elements so a slave to mother nature and what she'll allow.

Such a relief! Photos tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Very minor thing. Changed the battery in the key for the CLK320. the Key range has got very short recently. You have to stand right at the door for it to unlock.

It has its NCT on Tuesday. Planning on just getting fail sheet so we know what it needs. We'll get it sorted then and its ready for roof down motoring all summer :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Oil and filter change on the carina - probably just under 10,000 miles since last change - doesn't seem to burn any but i think a new rocker cover gasket is needed - slight leak from it

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/700762/377851.jpg

Also the power steering belt i had changed a few months ago started to squeal again - i checked the tension and it was gone very slack to re-tightened it -

• Advertisement

Got 6 white LED dash bulbs in the morning. Ordered them off China for a total of £1.00 including shipping. Replaced the 3 heater unit bulbs, looks very nice.

Very bright without the knobs on.
    25055443005_e648a95802_b.jpg

Sadly much darker with them on. Looks good though, I think. :)
    25029094456_988d2088e9_b.jpg

Advertisement