Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Your ability to buy things from the internet for no money always amazes me!!!
    :D:D Fair play to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Today I sorted my airbag light in the Red E39 and gave the interior a quick tidy. Already picked up an ABS Speed sensor but unfortunately the connecter on the car side was nackered so picking up one of those and a front bumper from a fella breaking one. Will pick up a brake pad sensor too.

IMG_20160216_193851_zpsycgdqhmx.jpg

IMG_20160217_194103_zps4y49kazr.jpg

IMG_20160216_193031_zpsjqk1gl2d.jpg

IMG_20160216_211709_zpsvtqrdosn.jpg

Really not sure if I'll bother selling it, it's a very solid car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wow... dat MPG! :eek: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

GvidoR wrote: »
    Wow... dat MPG! :eek: :P

Usually stays between 12 and 20 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Started my preparations today for my trip to the ring in April

My air intake had a massive split in it, due to being 20 years old and made of rubber
    http://i.imgur.com/nbH4osX.jpg

New silicone air intake and new jubilee clips fitted instead of the crappy click clips that were on it
    Hopefully it should improve my fuel consumption as well from its measly 28 mpg

http://i.imgur.com/kcfQIfa.jpg

• Advertisement

New car mats. :D
    €6 for the set which includes 2 for the front and 2 for the back.

24503885803_16fd50a1db_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Nothing like a new set of mats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

New car mats. :D
    €6 for the set which includes 2 for the front and 2 for the back.

I know it was said already recently but your ability to buy these things for next to nothing is unbelievable 4 mats for €6 :eek: credit where credit is due :)

I do love bargains. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

one of the number plates lights was knackered so swapped it out
    20160220_115446_zpsvqwvewnu.jpg
    Offending article
    20160220_115453_zps0hfxevfn.jpg
    All done two workng lights again!
    20160220_123014_zpslwotvfhr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That's a common problem on the mk1 focus as well. Water seems to get in somewhere and rot the connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Strange that they're like that! I swapped my reg plate lights recently and the connections and bulb holder were perfectly clean. Must be a bad gasket or something :\

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Seeing those pictures I've very strong feeling they're giving lovely brown light. :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

2004 mk1 focus had its NCT this morning. Passed no problem, emissions were fine, brake performance and balance fine, handbrake needs a bit of adjustment but not enough to fail.

Last year I got the local indie garage to do discs and pads on the front, all was fine, or so I thought. The NCT guy this morning told me to check the front right, that when they put the caliper back on they twisted it around, twisting the flexible brake hose. He implied he could have failed it for this but that he was having a good day!

Anyway, I took the caliper off and untwisted it this afternoon. First time going at a caliper/brake component. Reckon I could do the pads/discs myself next time. It's such a crap day I forgot to get a photo of it before though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

joujoujou wrote: »
    Seeing those pictures I've very strong feeling they're giving lovely brown light. :D

No more brown light new unit in now so all good. Was only one was like that too other one is grand still! Easy job at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

2004 mk1 focus had its NCT this morning. Passed no problem, emissions were fine, brake performance and balance fine, handbrake needs a bit of adjustment but not enough to fail.

Last year I got the local indie garage to do discs and pads on the front, all was fine, or so I thought. The NCT guy this morning told me to check the front right, that when they put the caliper back on they twisted it around, twisting the flexible brake hose. He implied he could have failed it for this but that he was having a good day!

Anyway, I took the caliper off and untwisted it this afternoon. First time going at a caliper/brake component. Reckon I could do the pads/discs myself next time. It's such a crap day I forgot to get a photo of it before though!
    Jeez, would have expected that to fail and wouldnt be an argument either. Fair play for fixing it yourself though, funnily enough brakes are one of the easier DIY jobs

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Jeez, would have expected that to fail and wouldnt be an argument either. Fair play for fixing it yourself though, funnily enough brakes are one of the easier DIY jobs

Yeah, it was decent of him to let it through. It wasn't kinked or leaking at least which probably helped.
    It seems to have been a day for DIY. My neighbour gave me a hand doing the caliper earlier, then his clutch went, it was air in the hydraulic system as the fluid had gone low, so we bled that, then his feckin battery went so I had to tow him up off the driveway. He's back in action too :)

Thats weird. In fairness, you'd actually have to put a bit of effort into twisting a brake hose and fitting the caliper rather than doing it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Thats weird. In fairness, you'd actually have to put a bit of effort into twisting a brake hose and fitting the caliper rather than doing it properly.

I'd honestly be worried about the condition of the hose after all that. You have to remember that the brake hose is twisted already and it's being pulled back and worth as you steer. I'm wondering what condition it is in after a year of that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yeah, it was decent of him to let it through. It wasn't kinked or leaking at least which probably helped.
    It seems to have been a day for DIY. My neighbour gave me a hand doing the caliper earlier, then his clutch went, it was air in the hydraulic system as the fluid had gone low, so we bled that, then his feckin battery went so I had to tow him up off the driveway. He's back in action too :)

Good man. It's nice to be able to repay a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ah I've seen it a good few times. On some cars it's easily done. Generally it doesn't affect the braking, but the pipe ends up sitting arseways and there's a high chance of it rubbing the tyre or rim, and that's where the danger is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Gotta love the logic of the NCT, potentially fatal fault and he let's you on but an insufficiently illuminated number plate and you'd have been in retest city. Only in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Lack of number plate light is not a fail anymore. Just advisory.

Although I agree with your logic in general. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Are you going to share where you got them? :D

I only have a passenger one and 2 rear, I need a drivers side one badly!! Is there anywhere I can buy a single one? The other 3 are like brand new and they're fitted so want to keep them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Teach me your ways master..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

rizzee wrote: »
    Are you going to share where you got them? :D

I only have a passenger one and 2 rear, I need a drivers side one badly!! Is there anywhere I can buy a single one? The other 3 are like brand new and they're fitted so want to keep them :)
    I don't know where he got them for €6 - but Lidl have sets in since Thursday at €7.99 ;)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36394

Not everything was done today and unfortunately no pictures taken but over the last while the 166 has got a small bit of TLC. It passed the NCT back in January so in the eyes of the law it was good to go for another 14 months, however I was't happy with the suspension. New top and bottom arms went in the front and it was much improved!! :). However, one of the new lower arms is squeaking :( thankfully the supplier is going to cover the cost to replace it as well as the labour.

The next thing was new discs and pads on the front. The old discs were warped and the pads were squealing. New ones are now perfect.

The front left wheel arch liner was smashed out of it when I hit a pothole so that was replaced with a pre-owned replacement!

Then it was on to minor stuff, the drivers door card developed a rattle that was a little annoying so today i pushed some foam pads into the gap between the door card and the door. Problem solved :)

Next, since I got the car it's had crappy radio reception. It's grand around Dublin but when I go home to Wicklow it's sucky. Today I changed the radio antenna amplifier and now it's excellent :cool:

Then finally I gave it a wash (the first since its NCT :() and also washed the interior mats.

So yeah, not the most exciting post but that should keep the car rolling happily for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great days work deb!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Great days work deb!

Well it was't all today and it wasn't all done by me :pac: I refuse to work on my daily these days. Just not worth the stress. Mechanic did the suspension and brakes. I did the little things :):p

Oh also just remembered, I replaced the fuse for the cigarette lighter too. The silly little things do a lot to make the car much better to live with day to day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I done an egr in a friends car yesterday, won't believe how bad it was :)

Need to get near a laptop to throw it up!

Advertisement