Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The next time you're doing the service try the main dealer for the service kit. You might find it to be much better value than buying everything separately in the motor factors.

Really? Interesting... wouldn't think that anyway. Thought I did pretty well with this stuff, about €25 for both oil and filter from Micks Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

GvidoR wrote: »
    Really? Interesting... wouldn't think that anyway. Thought I did pretty well with this stuff, about €25 for both oil and filter from Micks Garage.

You get the plugs and oil, oil filter and air filter as part of the kit. I forget how much it cost but I know at the time I saved money going this way rather than buying them seperatly at the motor factors.

€25 is a good price for the oil and filter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

joujoujou wrote: »
    Handbrake adjusted.

The job itself (turning 2 nuts a bit) - 5 minutes.

All the rest (armrest console out and back in) - 45 minutes. facepalm.gif

Can I suggest that the handbrake adjustment should be at the drum end, not the lever end. All you are doing is shortening the cable, not actually adjusting so to speak. Previous owner of my yoke had the cable wound out to the end at the lever, so that it broke through the gaiter. Handbrake was still useless. An hour of fiddling with the adjustment winders in the drum has everything tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Not much but I replaced the registration plate bulbs AGAIN yesterday. The LED ones I bought previously (from China) were smelling like some kind of burning plastic. I think the CANBUS error prevention was the problem as there was a resistor with burning marks around it on both lights.

Bought some higher quality LED bulbs at the motor factors, hopefully they will work better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I had a lucky escape with bonnet release on 8 year old BMW today. Lever inside wasn't popping bonnet, had to take bottom panels off and come at it from underneath with a wire hanger, just managed to pop one side and then the lever popped the other side.

Thing was only days before I thought I had lubricated the bonnet catch but in fact I had only lubricated the safety catch in the middle (which for a lot of cars is the only catch) but on this car and many other BMW I am aware from youtube there is a left and right bonnet catch which you should lubricate before they seize and you end up breaking cables or plastic brackets that the nipple end fits into and end up in a world of pain.

My setup has 3 cables, a lever, plastic cable holder, etc.....I had a lucky escape, lubricate yours TODAY :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Can I suggest that the handbrake adjustment should be at the drum end, not the lever end. [...]

Not in a E11 Corolla. The only adjustment it has at the drum end is the one bringing shoes closer to the drum while they wear out - and these were set properly during shoes replacement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Can I suggest that the handbrake adjustment should be at the drum end, not the lever end. All you are doing is shortening the cable, not actually adjusting so to speak. Previous owner of my yoke had the cable wound out to the end at the lever, so that it broke through the gaiter. Handbrake was still useless. An hour of fiddling with the adjustment winders in the drum has everything tight
    One thing to check with 'cruisers is the little bellcrank arm wears the pivot hole oval and the handbrake is very hard to set properly without repairing that arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

OSI wrote: »
    GvidoR will be proud:

I'm suprised you didn't get the VW economy wipers they are very good and cheaper than Bosch easily as good also IMO.

Yaaay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

CJhaughey wrote: »
    One thing to check with 'cruisers is the little bellcrank arm wears the pivot hole oval and the handbrake is very hard to set properly without repairing that arm.

Have it well sorted thankfully. Cranks are good, but I did have to replace the flexible cable connection between the crank and the back of the shoes that pulls the brake. Passenger side one gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

Quick trial fit of the new (old) alloys I picked up for my corolla. Just one on with the steelie for comparison. Am happy with how they look, so hopefully shoe them this week

378918.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I hope the jack is still holding the front of the car up! If not, that gap :eek:

Nice alloys nonetheless.

I hope the jack is still holding the front of the car up! If not, that gap :eek:

Nice alloys nonetheless.

No, the tyre on the alloys when I got them were 195/45. They will be replaced with 205/55

Like I said, just wanted to get an idea of how the alloy itself looks on the car.

Not bad for €40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Look in very good nick from that pic. Good purchase for 40 beans.

Look in very good nick from that pic. Good purchase for 40 beans.

Ha, that's why I took the pic from far away...plenty of kerb rash. But the car is 12 years old, so they'll fit right in :D

Woah, that's a mad bargain at €40. They'll suit the car well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Looks like I'm making it worse, rather than better.

That's a fair chunk of isopon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Dartz wrote: »

Looks alright too me..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Dartz wrote: »

What happened man?

You should remove the back bumper so you can get the panel gap right while sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭dodzy

YbFocus wrote: »
    What happened man?

You should remove the back bumper so you can get the panel gap right while sanding.

And get that bloody rear cluster outa there while you're at it FFS! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Cluster has to be replaced anyway as it's ****ed. And I figured I'd get a more consistent panel gap using lengths of cardboard in the gap all up along rather than accidentally over-fillering it. Seemed like the more logical way of getting them to match cleanly.

As for what happened. Got hit at work a few months ago. Finally getting around to try and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

So next on the list was to take the back axle off.

Photos won't upload properly... Photo bucket is sh!tting all over itself:rolleyes:

Anyway Bolts out of the shackles

IMG_3824_zps9cmoxtqn.jpg

Axle dropped. I Loosened all the other bolts and stuff when it was still on the chassis. It'll probably be easier when the axle is mounted securely rather than flying around on the bench.

IMG_3825_zpsi67s1oth.jpg

Carried the axle down to the garage and put it on the bench.

IMG_3827_zpsaj8htgqk.jpg

Wound the bushes out with a pullers. They were well shot!

IMG_3829_zpseqceibuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The **** are you driving with leaf springs?
    I've been out of the loop for too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Suzuki small yoke

Like this

Ah, an embarrassing thing has happened to me..... I thought I posted that in the project thread but I was watching TV at the time and it ended up here...:o:o:o

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Suzuki small yoke

Like this

Also feck you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You got a Jimny? Can we be best friends now??

CianRyan wrote: »
    You got a Jimny? Can we be best friends now??

Basically, It's actually a Samurai which is the Jinmy's older brother. I got the car for my 15th birthday, learned how to drive it it, learned what I know about cars from working on it and now I restoring it :)

Clickety the linkity in my signature to see the restoration thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Decided to change the whole driveshaft due to some knocking.
    New one that i got from Mr.Auto for around €160 delivered.
    7D59E84F-738B-43A5-8DB3-C413B57B43A2_zpsmlpzsdjd.jpg

The 2 tools needed that aren't usually part of a standard tool set..
    10mm spline( like a Torx but with 12 points) and 17mm hex
    47E0216F-6F1A-46AE-8509-CDD6E0C47C57_zpsotx4yr4e.jpg

The impact wrench bought in Lidl wasn't up to removing the centre bolt so had to go at it like this..
    262D8739-EFBB-47A2-B853-1F9A2DB5097C_zpskmsj9oqn.jpg

So, centre bolt out, brake disc off and tied up Caliper out off the way..
    DC7EFB18-DC7E-4720-9246-B19FB8576AE3_zpsdci74v84.jpg

Now here is where the 10mm spline comes in.
    Tap of a hammer before i tried to open the 6 bolts as these could get rounded easy enough..
    D13366F4-AB82-4969-8374-E3422C285FBA_zpsvmzvwzzz.jpg

A lot of wiggling around and it comes out eventually...
    1D8231B2-8856-44DD-BC3B-750BDC898FC2_zpsy97ajfzb.jpg

And new one in just to bolt it up using threadlock.

48A06714-8C31-4B47-810D-F68623704D5C_zpsredzwxdm.jpg

Has made a big difference to the car as it has really tightened up the steering( it had gone a small bit sloppy)and no knocking out of it.
    There still a bit of knocking from the passenger side so i am going to replace that in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Red brake pads. :eek:

Advertisement