Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

joujoujou wrote: »
    Catalytic converter replaced. 200 euro gone. :(

I'm worse than you clutch and flywheel 630 for parts and I won't mention the labour.

All while I'm only working a 2 day week, to say I'm broke is a understatement thank god for the local credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

GvidoR wrote: »
    Old pads had plenty of meat on them but for some reason were not evenly worn, as you may see in this picture. Also something strange has happened in the corner.
    25697345142_b52c911e1b_b.jpg

It looks like who ever fitted those pads(the ones you took out) took a grinder to the edges, to clear the lip on the disc. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

All Nissan OEM pads come like that, it's actually dead handy for checking wear on the fly, in a calliper that hides the pad you can see how much is left from the gap between the corner of the pad and the disk.

CianRyan wrote: »
    All Nissan OEM pads come like that, it's actually dead handy for checking wear on the fly, in a calliper that hides the pad you can see how much is left from the gap between the corner of the pad and the disk.

If you look at the edge of the pad where the lip would be, there are grinding marks there. I've seen it loads of times. I look after warranty claims in work on car parts, and would routinely send back warranty claims on pads where they have been grinded there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a set of Bosch pads yesterday that have that chamfer, its done to reduce brake squeal from new.
    The main issue is that Gvidors pads have started to delaminate, the brake friction material has started to separate and if that continues the result is the whole pad comes away from the backing plate. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭dodzy

Those pads needed changing but not for the wear factor, as they were pretty much @ 100% 'meat'

380478.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Did some work on my father's car at the weekend. Its a '06 e90 that he has 8 or 9 years. Wasn't happy with the breaks the last while. A couple of months ago I re-greased the calipers/guide pins as they were sticking a bit but recently he was saying they didn't have the bite they used to.

So looked at them and the rear caliper the passenger side was seized (one pad was more or less worn away) and the fronts weren't in the best of health either so we decided to do the whole braking system while I was at it.

New disks, pads and calipers all round. Only when I took off the rear disks we realised the shoes for the handbrake were coming apart so they were changed too. Also realised the back shock the passenger side was leaking oil so they had to be done too!

IMAG4081_zpsedci26zb.jpg
    IMAG4084_zpspbjvqkrm.jpg
    IMAG4109_zpsdoxtw8af.jpg
    IMAG4087_zpsggvl8sd9.jpg
    IMAG4088_zpsazlmv3ax.jpg
    IMAG4091_zps6emjpbqe.jpg
    IMAG4106_zpsrgcvippf.jpg
    IMAG4113_zpstbordi7k.jpg

He has ordered new front shocks as the car has 180k miles done so if the back were in bad shape the fronts are bound to be well worn too.

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    Did some work on my father's car at the weekend. Its a '06 e90 that he has 8 or 9 years. Wasn't happy with the breaks the last while. A couple of months ago I re-greased the calipers/guide pins as they were sticking a bit but recently he was saying they didn't have the bite they used to.

So looked at them and the rear caliper the passenger side was seized (one pad was more or less worn away) and the fronts weren't in the best of health either so we decided to do the whole braking system while I was at it.

New disks, pads and calipers all round. Only when I took off the rear disks we realised the shoes for the handbrake were coming apart so they were changed too. Also realised the back shock the passenger side was leaking oil so they had to be done too!

He has ordered new front shocks as the car has 180k miles done so if the back were in bad shape the fronts are bound to be well worn too.
    Good job, did you bed them in for him as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

New air filter. Out with the old and in with the new...
    25715748952_fec099bdc7_b.jpg

I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor which seemed to make the car idle a bit different and also seemed slightly more responsive.
    25810641366_a0f4bea5ae_b.jpg

These were the old brake discs which I took off yesterday. Not looking that great.
    25836776075_2f9b05364c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Good job, did you bed them in for him as well?

I wish! Fecker had to drive it himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Sorted the car, new hose from BMW, all good!

IMG_20160316_173638_zpsls9ujzz5.jpg

Now with added cable ties for added protection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Booked. :)

380524.png

dodzy wrote: »
    Those pads needed changing but not for the wear factor, as they were pretty much @ 100% 'meat'

380478.jpg

I'm not talking about that edge. I'm talking about the outside edge, where the lip on the disc is, and like I said already.

Can't believe I missed the separation from the back plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Since that pad sparked so much interest, here's a side-by-side comparison with pad which is just fine. Notice the bend on the bottom where the braking material has separated. It's quite strange.
    25543662890_fef268651a_b.jpg

Also here is an up-close image of the inside of one of the brake discs. Both of them were like this. The brake pads were the opposite of that/inverted/with a "hump" in the middle.
    WWh3MiA.png

Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    [...] Notice the bend on the bottom where the braking material has separated. It's quite strange.
    [...]

I guess the very end of the pad had no way to get closer while braking and bent.

Uneven braking wear is a common enough thing for me to see but that's quite bad.
    What was the condition of the piston?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭dodzy

That pad was seized in the guides. The pressure from the piston under braking buckled the plate causing separation from the lining. That's my guess. Braking must have been shît with so little contact on the rotor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

New wheel bearings installed today. Tommorow ball joints and one inner. Also the there was a trouble with misfiring engine. New ignition coil pack and it runs fine again. I paid 260 euro for a thermostat, 2 wheel bearings, ball joints and one inner ball joint. My friend lets me to do the work in his garage so for the money I saved I can buy more parts (heater blower fan, windscreen wiper motor has been replaced already). Some welding needs to be done, rear CV boot replaced. Maybe one or another two things (front splash guards, front bushings for example). And then when everything will be sorted it will be one good, usable E30.

20160316_205355.jpg

20160316_205403.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Wheel bearing too....?!

Mine collapsed earlier (wobble wobble). I had to cut the remains of it off, butcher the rest off with a chisel. Then dress down the stub with a grinder before cobbling on a spare bearing I had. It had practically welded itself to the stub. It only started humming this morning and all :eek:

The beauty of having several of those broken and parts at disposal :D

It will do until I get a new stub axle, bearings and hub installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

20160317_160758.jpg

20160317_115649.jpg

20160317_160816.jpg

20160317_115824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Before I went on my drive today I cleaned up the engine bay of the 166. Been meaning to do it since I bought it over 14 months ago and finally got around to it :p

I don't think there are many engines short of super cars that they put so much effort into making look pretty :cool:

IMG_3969_zps27hrqtpi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

another coil for the missus' golf - kinda knew what it was straight away after the last one - looks like only 1 original one left in it now

also its been looksing a little coolant from time to time flashing the light up for low level coolant - i noticed the side of the rad when i was doing this job - looks like its leaking. What do ye think? Replace it?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/700762/380612.jpg

rad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Swapped out Mintex pads(always a bit noisy) for new genuine Audi pads.
    Was surprised at how much of difference in shape between the two.
    Audi one on the left, Mintex on the right.. See the difference?
    70FE1C8C-C858-4F02-810D-EC644DE74F86_zpsh6wdoofi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So yesterday I decided to tackle my rear abs sensor issue. On paper this job is easy, jack up car, pop in a jack stand, remove wheel, unscrew sensor and then reverse that process again. However, my car is 15 years old and these sensors have most likely never been moved or changed in that time; which means simple things to remove are actually welded in place. My first battle was removing the allen bolt which took about 45 minutes, I was just delighted I didn't wreck it in the process! Then actually removing the sensor turned into a way bigger deal than it should have. It's a plastic sensor which just slots into the wheel hub. And it just would not move, not matter how hard I tried. I ended up grandually smashing the thing and drilling it out to get it. It took me hours. Then to add insult to injury the new part I order was the wrong type. My car changed in 2001 at some point and got newer sensors/traction control units, but mine uses the old one. :(

But, it wasn't bad in the end, got most of the hard work done. Just have to wait for the proper part and I should be able to fit it in no time when I have it.

Job done. New sensor fitted, and warning lights now gone :D:D:D

Had to take a dremel out to clean out the socket for the sensor. I greased everything up and cable tied the sensor cable to keep things tidy. Went for a spin, and the lights turned off after about 100M of driving. All done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

blade1 wrote: »

I did the same on my Focus. Swapped the A.B.S. pads for OEM Ford pads. They were slightly different shape and used more surface area on the brake disc. The A.B.S. pads were smaller so it was a "massive brake disc lip" waiting to happen.

The OEM seems to bite sooner, produce less noise and brake dust :)

Unregistered Users

Was:

380678.jpg

Now:

380679.jpg

And the result:

380680.jpg

Happy days! :D

Strange, both Pagid and Mintex are both made by TMD so they should be similar in shape, Compound certainly might vary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Strange, both Pagid and Mintex are both made by TMD so they should be similar in shape, Compound certainly might vary though.

Pad surface bigger on Audi ones and also see the difference on the ends that hold them in?
    No movement in new pads whereas there was a lot in the Mintex.

• Advertisement

Pad surface bigger on Audi ones and also see the difference on the ends that hold them in?
    No movement in new pads whereas there was a lot in the Mintex.
    Yeah its a strange one alright.
    http://www.tmdfriction.com/en/aftermarket

Advertisement