Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yeah its a strange one alright.
    http://www.tmdfriction.com/en/aftermarket

I didn't know Pagid made the pads..... I just assumed Ate would have made them as thats who made the front calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Today I fixed 2 windows in my car, they had come out if the plastic seats on the runners and resetting them is a HUGE messy pain, I do t find out if it's fixed 'till tomorrow, such is the sealant.

I also fixed my central locking. The block connector on the drivers door had corrosion on a few of the pins. Nothing some contact cleaner and a puck can't sort.

I like a car that's simple to fix. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Any of you know how to hardwire this into a Renault captur?

I want to put it in the Glove Box

Will add a Phone charger and Dashcam to it

380737.JPG

Tbh I'd just use double sided sticky tape and plug it in, buy a bit of tubing to tidy up the cables.

You'll void your warrenty doing anything like that yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Changed the front hydro mount on the XC90 today. I suspected that the spurious hydro mount is a false mount and emailed the supplier. They told me the hydro vacuum functionality only works when the weight of the engine is on it.

I installed it, tried to do a vacuum test with a vacuum pump/gauge and to no surprise the vacuum connection is just vented to the atmosphere :mad: I can hardly return an oily engine mount now...

So I ended up sticking a bolt up the vacuum line going and putting a cable tie on the hose to put pressure on the bolt. At least the vacuum won't be leaking out for now...

When I wanted to raise the engine a bit to take the mount out I realised that the gearbox mount is destroyed and probably caused most problems. It looked like this:
    2013-04-27164653.jpg

The left side (smaller side) bushing was completely gone and a replacement part was €125 from MicksGarage for another spurious part. I decided to unbolt the bushing, remove the bits of bushing left and then I found a bad bike tyre tube which I sliced and wrapped around the metal bar on which the bushing was located and then screwed it back into the mount.

Free fix and it will probably last longer than a bushing :pac:

sCJtuLk.jpg?1

27Ilw2Q.jpg?1

Rci505j.jpg?1

Unfortunately during the process of disconnecting vacuum hoses I snapped the dipstick handle clean off when my fists slid and hit the dipstick. Ended up having to get the dipstick out without dropping it into the sump. First try I ended up putting it in even deeper :D In the end I saved it by putting a woodscrew into the remainders of the handle and pulling it out ;)

In the end the cabin vibrations pretty much disappeared. The window regulators used to make crazy rattling sounds at certain revs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Mk5 Golf needed front pads. Cost of oe pads with discount - £45. Changed in a couple of hours. VW dealer price to change - £149. Saved myself £104 towards a summer holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Any of you know how to hardwire this into a Renault captur?

I want to put it in the Glove Box

Will add a Phone charger and Dashcam to it

Or, you can do what I did. You can get these adapters off eBay very cheap which draw power from the fuse box. Just plug it in and away you go, 2 USB ports. :)

This way you wont void the warranty. Just tidy up the wires and that's pretty much it.

24566102201_160680f20e_c.jpg

24566101601_d8f28e4c23_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭cletus

Gvidor, do you have a link to that USB adaptor thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

cletus wrote: »
    Gvidor, do you have a link to that USB adaptor thingy

These are the ones I ordered (it's a 2 piece jobby)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231553499753 (This arrived quick enough)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360913396589 (This one came from China, so it was like a month so you may want to look for another seller)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just be sure to select the correct fuse size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I ripped out the airbox of the e46 to take a look at the expansion tank/coolant leak that started on the weekend! Found a nice sized crack down the side of it, quite happy finding it so easily. I have the part ordered, so hopefully it'll come by the weekend. I'm planning on getting the parts out during the week, and I'll be able to just pop in the new part when it arrives. This is a fairly big job, so I'm under no illusion that it'll take time. But ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I ripped out the airbox of the e46...

BRAAAP

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

BRAAAP

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

:D
    Herself had to get a K&N for her car - it was too quiet when I repaired the airbox after BMWs laughably poor quality plastic caused a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

There is no general DIY chat thread so I will ask here.

BMW E30 318is (twin cam)

My car was misfiring and was running rough. It wasn't the petrol delivery problem so me and my mechanic decided to buy one ignition coil pack and hope for the best. Before that I replaced the ignition leads. Anyway, it worked and we found the faulty coil so the engine was running ok again. Before we did it it was really hard to drive like that. Sometimes it just wouldn't go into high revs and I had to change gears to make the car go. Also car needed a lot of petrol becaus it wasn't running right.

2 days ago when I spent the whole day driving a car like I have a carton of eggs on the roof (because my girlfriend isn't fan of fast driving) I took it for a spin late in the evening and pushed it really hard for a while. Then it happened. There was no clear misfiring but the engine was running strange. Again wouldn't go over 4000rpm and when I kept my right foot at the floor the car started jumping like. So again change of gear helped along with light foot. I presume more ignition coils are needed. One is 67 euro (and that's cheap after discount) so what should I do now? Buy another one and try to change one after one, drive it hard and see if it will go ok? 4 coils that's 250 euro... :(

Also there is a problem with starting the engine when it's hot. When cold it starts right away (not exactly right away but within reasonable time), when it reaches the operating temperature and I try to start it there is a problem somewhere... the engine is turning but nothing is happening for a while. I have the gas pedal all the way down and after like 5-10 seconds it slowly starts burning the mixture in the cylinders. And then it starts and running as it should. This was also the case before I changed the ign. coil so the problem is somewhere else. Not good for the battery at all (bought it new few months ago when I bought the car) so this needs to be sorted.

There is something about this problem here:

http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=7757.0

but unplugging a wire doesn't seem to be a right solution to me. Problem is somewhere else.

Ideas?

Sounds like an air/fuel mixture is causing the problems to me. The car jumping and not revving sounds to me like a bad air flow meter and the car bit starting when hot sounds like it's flooding, maybe not getting a strong enough spark either.

I'd be looking at the airflow meter, distributor and coils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I cleaned my car on my break at 3am under a light in th car park at work... Few bottles of water and micro fiber cloths :pac: Muck just wipes straight off it, love white cars!! Need to give it a good Hoover the weekend and order some new mats (micksgarage doing fitted sets for around 18e I believe) . Paying tax today and service will be dine in the next 200km when it hits the 190k km mark :) Not a thing has gone wrong with it since I've gotten it in October except a bulb went!! Touch wood it stays like that :D (e60 523i)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I drained the coolant from the expansion tank, and began disconnecting the hoses to it. It brought back memories from 2 years ago when I had the rad out. The hoses are impossible to remove for the most part, they feel welded on. I got 1/3 out but I'm going to have to battle some more this evening. I had forgot that there wont be post this Friday, so most likely it'll be Tues before I even have the part, which is very frustrating indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Cleaned out and up the focus that has spent the last 3 or 4 months hibernating, disguised as a shed. Looks half respectable now. Done 100km in it yesterday without a bother and its ok to drive now it's loosened out. Might even book it in for an nct. Apparently worth 1300-1500 euro with a full NCT which isn't bad. Paid less than half that 6 months ago and havn't done anything to it since other than change the oil and clean it yesterday! Probably NCT it up and drive it for a couple of months and sell it in June with 15 months NCT.

25f12x0.jpg

Went to get a few bits for it yesterday in kilcock. Got a nice clean mat for the boot :). Not much else. Some mountain of scrap. Apparent worth **** all. 70k now vs 2 million a few years ago. Looking about for alloys for it atm but couldn't get anything there. Needs tires soon anyway so trying to get both.
    6gaiv8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Heh heh heh

Myself and another boardsie took bits off that Passat in the right of the screen, beside that 5 series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

A very small job but made a big difference. I broke the reflector about 6 months ago and it was letting the back the car down. I'm not one for cosmetic stuff on cars but it was annoying me so on Saturday I finally sucked it up and ordered a new one in the main dealer as expected identical perfect match. It took 30 seconds to change but really made a big difference.

Before
    image_zpspogx2vfw.jpeg

After
    image_zpssi1zzzvi.jpeg

• Advertisement

Heh heh heh

Myself and another boardsie took bits off that Passat in the right of the screen, beside that 5 series :D

I hear they come with great screw drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

CianRyan wrote: »
    I hear they come with great screw drivers.

True, one of the only good things that comes in them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I love going to that breakers in Kilcock. Is it the only place in Ireland now that you can walk around and take bits off yourself? Whelans used to let you but don't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭cletus

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    I love going to that breakers in Kilcock. Is it the only place in Ireland now that you can walk around and take bits off yourself? Whelans used to let you but don't anymore.

I think Martin Byrne's in Portlaoise still lets you (just don't call him chicken)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

CorkMan_ wrote: »

Also a place in Ardee co Louth you can wonder round too

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Diabhalta wrote: »
    There is no general DIY chat thread so I will ask here.

BMW E30 318is (twin cam)

My car was misfiring and was running rough. It wasn't the petrol delivery problem so me and my mechanic decided to buy one ignition coil pack and hope for the best. Before that I replaced the ignition leads. Anyway, it worked and we found the faulty coil so the engine was running ok again. Before we did it it was really hard to drive like that. Sometimes it just wouldn't go into high revs and I had to change gears to make the car go. Also car needed a lot of petrol becaus it wasn't running right.

2 days ago when I spent the whole day driving a car like I have a carton of eggs on the roof (because my girlfriend isn't fan of fast driving) I took it for a spin late in the evening and pushed it really hard for a while. Then it happened. There was no clear misfiring but the engine was running strange. Again wouldn't go over 4000rpm and when I kept my right foot at the floor the car started jumping like. So again change of gear helped along with light foot. I presume more ignition coils are needed. One is 67 euro (and that's cheap after discount) so what should I do now? Buy another one and try to change one after one, drive it hard and see if it will go ok? 4 coils that's 250 euro... :(

Also there is a problem with starting the engine when it's hot. When cold it starts right away (not exactly right away but within reasonable time), when it reaches the operating temperature and I try to start it there is a problem somewhere... the engine is turning but nothing is happening for a while. I have the gas pedal all the way down and after like 5-10 seconds it slowly starts burning the mixture in the cylinders. And then it starts and running as it should. This was also the case before I changed the ign. coil so the problem is somewhere else. Not good for the battery at all (bought it new few months ago when I bought the car) so this needs to be sorted.

There is something about this problem here:

http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=7757.0

but unplugging a wire doesn't seem to be a right solution to me. Problem is somewhere else.

Ideas?

All I can add is that I have an '86 318i and had a problem in 2011 with hot starting. (Wouldn't start). Eventually turned out to be the fuel pump relay. Mine is the pre-facelift chrome bumper model so not sure of the setup on yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

cletus wrote: »
    I think Martin Byrne's in Portlaoise still lets you (just don't call him chicken)
    Martin is quite fond of being called chicken and the name should be used at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Finally got around to do my front discs and pads today.
    Got parts at Top Parts, Tuam Rd.
    Came to 150 euros for two discs and the pads, everything Mintex.

Started taking pics but stopped since there are so many write-ups already and I'm kinda lazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Did a brake fluid change today. Took me ages to bleed out almost 1 litre of brake fluid using the vacuum pump. Next time I'll just borrow someone to help :pac:

63CvwF1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you used a gunson ezzibleed you'd be done in about 15 minutes :P.

Advertisement