Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Hal1 wrote: »
    If you used a gunson ezzibleed you'd be done in about 15 minutes :P.

Maybe, but not worth the extra spend just to do a brake fluid flush once every 2 years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

shietpilot wrote: »
    Maybe, but not worth the extra spend just to do a brake fluid flush once every 2 years :pac:

They are only 25 quid in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I ordered my replacement expansion tank online, and it hasn't arrived... looks like it'll be tuesday before it arrives! What a pain! Going to do the fuel filter while the car is up on stilts. It's long long over due.

pablo128 wrote: »
    They are only 25 quid in Halfords.

Yeah and my vacuum pump is free since I already own it :D

I ordered my replacement expansion tank online, and it hasn't arrived... looks like it'll be tuesday before it arrives! What a pain! Going to do the fuel filter while the car is up on stilts. It's long long over due.

I managed to get the fuel filter 90% out today, just a bit stuck on one side now. Decided to call it for the afternoon as I was getting tired. I have to wonder if that fuel filter I'm taking out is the original that came with it from the factory... if so it's been on the car 15 years and 135,000 miles :eek:

I also managed to get the damned expansion tank out too. So just have to wait for the new one to arrive. Woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

did some work on headlights.

originally looked like that:

IMG_20160312_141501.jpg

IMG_20160312_141505.jpg

Then i have sanded them with 800 grade sandpaper... were keepng them wet while sanding ...

IMG_20160312_142119.jpg

Then sanded with 1200 grade :

IMG_20160312_150533.jpg

After that i have sanded with 2000, but cant find picture on phone, must be deleted accedantly ... it did look half clearer.

and afterwords, i have polished with polishing machine and high grade paste:

IMG_20160312_152556.jpg

And...

Tad Daaa:

IMG_20160312_163859.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I thought you had a blue Passat. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

GvidoR wrote: »
    I thought you had a blue Passat. :P

Still have blue one and driving, this one is looking for new owners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Have had a lot of work done on the e39 in the last few months so threw in for early NCT

IMG_1605_zps19fvxscn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Have had a lot of work done on the e39 in the last few months so threw in for early

/s218.obucket.com/user/cnc95fan/media/IMG_1605_zps19fvxscn.jpg.html]URL]

Your front left caliper looks a bit sticky or there is air in it or something. Nct brake test isn't great..

• Advertisement

I managed to get the fuel filter 90% out today, just a bit stuck on one side now. Decided to call it for the afternoon as I was getting tired. I have to wonder if that fuel filter I'm taking out is the original that came with it from the factory... if so it's been on the car 15 years and 135,000 miles :eek:

I also managed to get the damned expansion tank out too. So just have to wait for the new one to arrive. Woohoo!

Age of fuel filter confirmed. 15 years old :eek:. WTF!! Good to have it changed now at least. Job done. Can't go anywhere because the whole coolant system is in bits. More work for next week!

Age of fuel filter confirmed. 15 years old :eek:. WTF!! Good to have it changed now at least. Job done. Can't go anywhere because the whole coolant system is in bits. More work for next week!

I reckon fuel filters are the least changed filters on any car. Then you get folk crying about "bad diesel" destroying their fuel systems :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

shietpilot wrote: »
    I reckon fuel filters are the least changed filters on any car. Then you get folk crying about "bad diesel" destroying their fuel systems :rolleyes:

Very few people change them on petrol cars though. I changed my fathers one last year. 16 years and 280k miles. It actually turned out to be the fuel pump and not a blocked filter in the end.

In my experience with diesel filters, they tend to block up rather than let crap through to destroy the fuel system. Not to say it doesn't happen, all the same.

In my experience with diesel filters, they tend to block up rather than let crap through to destroy the fuel system. Not to say it doesn't happen, all the same.

Once they block up the fuel will go unfiltered through a by-pass valve to not starve the pump if I recall correctly :)

Very few people change them on petrol cars though. I changed my fathers one last year. 16 years and 280k miles. It actually turned out to be the fuel pump and not a blocked filter in the end.

The fuel that came out of the filter was pretty clean, there was some silt in the catch pan, but otherwise it wasn't so bad. I had heard people saying that they noticed a difference in power/response after changing it. But I reckon that's pretty optimistic. Started the car just there, and she fired right up after allowing the pump to prime for a few seconds. I couldn't run it long as the whole cooling system is in bits! But everything was nice and smooth.

Oh, and after spending considerable time underneath the car, I just can't believe how clean it is. Not rust at all anywhere on the underbody. I'll be sad when I have to get rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The thing is I guess, that in 99% of petrol cars, the fuel filter isn't a scheduled serviceable item, unlike in diesels.

The thing is I guess, that in 99% of petrol cars, the fuel filter isn't a scheduled serviceable item, unlike in diesels.

The e46 has it as a scheduled item every 30,000 miles. I'm not too sure if there's a time applied to that service, usually it would be 30,000 or every two years. Although I suspect that changing the fuel filter every two years may be a bit OTT. Its funny, I feel that lots of these jobs I'm doing will be the last time they'll be done on this car. Especially given how difficult and expensive it is to run older cars with insurance and tax costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The last time I bought and fitted a fuel filter was about 2.5 years now, and I got 2 of them at the time. I'd say it would be no harm doing the job again since I have it and tools ready to fit it. It's not that bad a job on the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hal1 wrote: »
    The last time I bought and fitted a fuel filter was about 2.5 years now, and I got 2 of them at the time. I'd say it would be no harm doing the job again since I have it and tools ready to fit it. It's not that bad a job on the focus.

Yours a 1.4 or 1.6?

• Advertisement

It's 1.6 petril.

Hal1 wrote:
    It's 1.6 petril.

No no, a 1.6 st ;) :pac:

Just a bit of colour coding here and there.

381530.jpg

Have you the seats or any of the inside mods done?

The seats are standard seats not half leathers. So it's just like any other focus on the inside.

Hal1 wrote:
    The seats are standard seats not half leathers. So it's just like any other focus on the inside.

I know you did the intermittent wiper mod, did you do the trip computer one? Weighed up that one, but couldn't be arsed with it.

I was about to but it didn't seem worth it. Too many sensors to acquire for it to work, washer bottle level sensor, outside temp sensor. The mk1 ghia focus has them all as standard.

Anything else that you did? Not doing anything else with mine, but just to see if I missed anything.

I have fitted the mist washer jets like what's on the new focus. Gives much better coverage :D.

I found my mod list of what's been done.
    Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 SE 16V 3 door sliver. (FORD FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.6 16V)

Mod list:

Exterior:
    ST detango'd headlights
    ST fog lights
    ST lower grille

ST upper grille
    Clear side repeaters
    US rear lights

Twin reverse lights
    Color coded front / side / boot trim
    Colour coded door handles / washer jets

Mist washer jets
    Smooth front wipers 16/26"
    Smooth rear wiper 16"

Mud flaps
    Boot lid struts
    Reg plates

Clear front indicators
    Fit blistein shocks / eibach lowering springs 30mm
    17" st alloys

Interior:
    Color coded air vents
    ST door handles
    Auto dimming rear view mirror
    ST interior light (leds fitted)
    Variable speed wiper

• Advertisement

Nice list of mods there!

I'm planning to get a VAG washer fluid level sensor (VAG due to its small size) and retrofitting it onto my Focus :pac:

Advertisement