Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Radio silence broken. A good 2 months since the stock radio packed itself in.
    2a9tpwg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You have a ghia?

You have a ghia?

No its just an lx.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Typical Ford, LX with climate control!

Interslice wrote:
    No its just an lx.

There the ghia heater controls, someone must have fitted them in

• Advertisement

There the ghia heater controls, someone must have fitted them in

Sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I doubt it's a retrofit. You would need the Ghia controls, full heater assembly from a Ghia and more sensors plus possibly wiring loom modifications. Most likely someone bought an LX and ticked the box for the climate controls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Rare as fook on an lx. Usually only reserved for ghia and st models, so someone ticked that box :confused: or retro fitted which I have seen some members on a ford forum do and it's a pig of a job.

Even at the ghia specs, there not on them all. Most ghias here have the standard setup.

My moneys still on a retrofit, I doubt it was a tick the box job, it wouldn't really be a feature one would choose before alloys, fogs and rear leccies.

Some of the stuff and effort lads do go to on the dedicated forums is mad!

It has fogs, steering wheel controls.., but windy rears and 14 inch steelies. Ive retrofitted alloys since but doubt anyone went through the bother of doing the other work as i think it was a motorway maintainace fleet car or somrthing similar. Its an estate 2003 1.8 tdci so maybe they got a bit extra or else they just ordered a few of them with the extras.

• Advertisement

NCT today and...... Fail.

I ran out of time over the weekend and gave the cv boot to a local mechanic to fix, but the lower ball joint was put back on minus the split pin. Gonna give the guy a call in the morning.

Everything else passed though, which I'm happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Rebuilt 1 X rear calliper and replaced rear pads and discs on Mazda MX5.

Started midday, finished about 22:00.... I'd never make a living at it!

Interslice wrote: »
    It has fogs, steering wheel controls.., but windy rears and 14 inch steelies. Ive retrofitted alloys since but doubt anyone went through the bother of doing the other work as i think it was a motorway maintainace fleet car or somrthing similar. Its an estate 2003 1.8 tdci so maybe they got a bit extra or else they just ordered a few of them with the extras.

If you want to know for sure, you can pop the vin in here and it'll tell you what features it had from factory. Doesn't recognise Irish regs

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Been there. Often started a 2 hour job at 8pm and still be at it at 3 in the morning. :pac:

Just when you think a job will be easy you end up with a bolt or nut that just won't budge and spend an hour farting about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Once with a 406 D-Turbo, a valve broke and lodged itself between the piston and head, effectively seizing the engine.

I had a spare engine to throw in but required extensive stripping (damaged loom, alternator bracket, standard pump + turbo all had to go plus flywheel/clutch/timing belt + plunger had to be replaced and all the usual oils/coolant etc)

I needed the car for Monday

I started the change on a Saturday afternoon, circa 1pm. With the help of another boardsie and my father we had the car from bonnet up to startup and reverse out by 3am :)

The hands suffered for the rest of the week but alas job was done and done right under pressure :) and the 406 was back up and running better than before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

I'm not sure i'm posting in the correct thread, but I replaced my stock OE Bridgestones 255/35 R20 with Pirelli P-Zero 255/35 R20.

The difference is phenomenal. Grip, ride, noise are all vastly improved. I carried out a lot of research before purchasing and I reckon I've made the right choice.

The only thing i haven't tested them in on is wet roads.

FSSl5M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How do you find the ---/35/-- profile? I had them once on a car and were terrible. Dreadful on country roads and changing lanes on the motorway across cats eyes awful bad.

Supergurrier on here said 40 was the sweet spot. I beg to differ as I had 40 profile atm on my car and it is bad as well. The real sweet spot imo is a 45 profile as I had them on a car and it was perfect no need to worry about bad roads etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

How do you find the ---/35/-- profile? I had them once on a car and were terrible. Dreadful on country roads and changing lanes on the motorway across cats eyes awful bad.

Supergurrier on here said 40 was the sweet spot. I beg to differ as I had 40 profile atm on my car and it is bad as well. The real sweet spot imo is a 45 profile as I had them on a car and it was perfect no need to worry about bad roads etc...

TBH i didn't want to mess with the profile. If i made a mistake it was going to cost a lot of money to rectify.

would you recommend a 40 profile? AUDI A6 141 S-Line.

Dutchie wrote: »
    TBH i didn't want to mess with the profile. If i made a mistake it was going to cost a lot of money to rectify.

would you recommend a 40 profile? AUDI A6 141 S-Line.

Well it is mainly up to the driver but I'd say your tyres are set that way from factory. All the cars I have had have been aftermarket alloys as I never owned a new/fairly new car.

• Advertisement

Depends on the width of the tyre. The middle number (35) refers to 35% of the tyre's width.

So a 205/55/16 is a tyre that is 20.5 cm wide and the sidewall height is 55% of 20.5 cm = 11.275 cm.

On a wide tyre like that Audi, the 35% is pretty big when compared to a skinnier tyre.

shietpilot wrote: »
    Depends on the width of the tyre. The middle number (35) refers to 35% of the tyre's width.

So a 205/55/16 is a tyre that is 20.5 cm wide and the sidewall height is 55% of 20.5 cm = 11.275 cm.

On a wide tyre like that Audi, the 35% is pretty big when compared to a skinnier tyre.

Didn't know that. Always thought the profile were all set the same. That audi tyre is a lot wider than anything I ever owned.

Wiper blade motor assembly was pretty loud in the XC90. Took it out and greased everything. Seems to have helped :)

v1FSUPz.jpg?1

Lads this thread has been dead lately! Is nobody doing anything to their cars or what :P I'm waiting on the weekend to sort out some rusts spots at the arches near the sills. The paint has been destroyed from stones hitting off the wheel it seems and it will start to rot soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Some of us keep the master plans to ourselves...

A lot has gone on in the background in pigeon land that I can't really share ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Cars due a service will probably be tackling that friday. Nothing interesting to share though.

Rain has stopped play.. and pure lazyness :P

Have a rear brake pipe and caliper/hand brake mechanism on the long finger.

Serviced the aul lads laguna the other week but that's been it. Noticed whille I was at it that it had chewed the bejaysis out of the inside of the front tyres down to the threads but the rest of the tyre was 3-4mm. Track rod ends go on them apparently. Got 2 new tyres for it but must get it sorted before the same happens them.

2uoia0w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

shietpilot wrote: »
    Lads this thread has been dead lately! Is nobody doing anything to their cars or what :P I'm waiting on the weekend to sort out some rusts spots at the arches near the sills. The paint has been destroyed from stones hitting off the wheel it seems and it will start to rot soon :)

I had an insurance creep trawling through my posts.All of them, stuff related to parts of the country yer man is definitely not involved with. If I said I went for a pint in my local he'd "like" it just so I'd see it. Strange carryon.

So anything I could post is kinda limited really if they're gonna be at that.

Subaru is running like a Swiss watch. Mini is running like it was designed by German accountants. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bolk. .. been shopping on mister auto?

• Advertisement

Bolk. .. been shopping on mister auto?

Yep 20 litres of that delivered for 120 euro. Service interval is only 10k km so saves a good few quid. Renault spec 5w40 is hard to get and expensive.

Advertisement