Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just replaced shock top, hardest part was getting the trim off from under the windscreen.

Also got an aircon clutch relay for feck all from the scrappies, nicer than paying the €25+VAT Honda wanted. For a relay. Bandits.

Now have lovely freezing air and the car is NCT ready :)

It's weird imo anyway, that the air con in the Civic defaults to "on" upon startup and you have to opt for it to be off, it's the reverse of any other car i've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's weird imo anyway, that the air con in the Civic defaults to "on" upon startup and you have to opt for it to be off, it's the reverse of any other car i've had.

My A4 is automatically on aswell.
    Press ECON to switch off(which I rarely do)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the car is NCT ready :)

Best of luck with the n.c.t

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some do this when air set to windscreen full setting. As in no other setting such as feet or vents to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Did the brakes on the 6er, needed doing. Wear sensor hasn't gone off but I could tell by the thickness.

Started getting the lovely grinding noise a couple of days before the new pads arrived (Ferodos), you'll see why in a second.

Here's the original thickness
    IMG20160920170201_zpszkkqcjcs.jpg

Getting to the brake fluid reservoir is a pain on this car, have to remove both cabin filters and housings to get to it on the driver side.
    IMG20160920173050_zpsfezbrq7d.jpg

IMG20160920173055_zpsunp6yhie.jpg

IMG20160920173531_zpsckuzgjd6.jpg

Wheels off, two calliper bolts caps removed(at the back), two bolts out, out with the homemade calliper holding tool a.k.a. zip ties for hanging it off the spring so it doesn't hang on the brake line.

Then instead of a 60euro piston compression tool i used a 7euro 6" g-clamp.
    IMG20160920173711_zps8zputbbr.jpg

And this is why it was squealing, no pad left at all on the inner driver side!!
    IMG20160920174901_zpsj2cwvrtm.jpg

Callipers cleaned of old brake dust and build up using brake cleaner... Wear a mask or you'll be inhaling it all!

Copper grease on all the contact points and some on the wheel hub ring so I don't have to hang off the wheel the next time I have to remove them.

New pads...
    IMG20160920184006_zps6pex4yio.jpg

Other side was the same just need to replace the wear sensor too.
    Took a couple of hours but I'd do it faster and cleaner next time :)

Discs definitely need replacement next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Good job, those pads were bad! My fronts need attention soon too, not because they're worn but because of a popping noise on braking at super low speeds, I think the caliper pins need greasing.

Good job, those pads were bad! My fronts need attention soon too, not because they're worn but because of a popping noise on braking at super low speeds, I think the caliper pins need greasing.

I was told the caliper pins on the 6/7 don't need to be greased as they're not metal on metal? Maybe just cleaned?

Next job for me is the top coolant supply hose which has a leak, it actually looks like it's corroded!

IMG20160906192857_zps9bblgs8j.jpg

Ordered up the hose and a new fan belt as the coolant was dripping on it and it's squealing on start up now. Annoying as I just replaced the fan belt recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

replaced the spark plugs on my mitsu colt yesterday

everything honk dory, but the last SP i took out was super tight i had to use a pipe as leverage all the way ...is this normal:confused:

the engine was cool and plug looked normal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

fryup wrote: »
    replaced the spark plugs on my mitsu colt yesterday

everything honk dory, but the last SP i took out was super tight i had to use a pipe as leverage all the way ...is this normal:confused:

the engine was cool and plug looked normal

I'm no expert but I always change my oil and plugs myself and never came across that with multiply cars over the years. Have come across tight oil filters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Just some messin with plastidip today...

2uz70gz.jpg

35ld92h.jpg

• Advertisement

˙ǝɯ oʇ ǝuᴉɟ ɯǝǝs sǝɹnʇɔᴉԀ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

How was the new plug going back in?
    May have been threaded or may have just been over tightened, either way it sounds like the last person to do them was an ape.

I generally wouldn't bother greasing pins unless they were looking particularly bad or if I was fitting a new caliper. If they're sliding fine I wouldn't worry. I would keep and eye on that caliper though, wear seems very uneven.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Just some messin with plastidip today...

Does it come off easily?
    Like if you washed it would it just scrape off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

lafors wrote: »
    Does it come off easily?
    Like if you washed it would it just scrape off?

No, you have to peel it off. It's like a wrap but a bit softer. I peeled off what was around and it breaks in gaps. But it has to be done carefully or you will peel off everything. I sprayed like 4 layers on it (10-15min waiting for it to dry).

I will be spraying the wing mirrors as well, paint is peeling on them and it doesn't look good so better this than the bad looking paint.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    No, you have to peel it off. It's like a wrap but a bit softer. I peeled off what was around and it breaks in gaps. But it has to be done carefully or you will peel off everything. I sprayed like 4 layers on it (10-15min waiting for it to dry).

I will be spraying the wing mirrors as well, paint is peeling on them and it doesn't look good so better this than the bad looking paint.

Nice one :)

Where did you get it? Online or brick&morter shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Replaced the auxiliary belt on my MR2 roadster this evening. (1ZZ-FE VVTi engine) Old belt had started to shred.

Using a 19mm socket you can move the tensioner pulley against the spring, however this is quite difficult to do with one hand while you try to slip the belt on with the other.

TOP TIP: I used a ratchet strap wrapped around the engine mount bracket to pull the socket handle and hold it in position while I slipped the belt over the tensioner pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jharr100

Yesterday afternoon I installed some parking sensors ... first time doing them and I am pretty happy with the outcome. .
    They were only 15 quid on ebay and the maroon colour match on the avensis is very close.
    Took less than an hour too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Did that myself a few years ago. Took me a long time and a lot of measuring before working up the courage to drill the holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jharr100

Harcrid wrote: »
    Did that myself a few years ago. Took me a long time and a lot of measuring before working up the courage to drill the holes!

Absolutely, once the first hole is drilled I just measured from there. Youtube was a great help to be honest! From what I gather though, the Avensis is one of the easier cars to do , good access behind the bumper and a gromit next to where the control box can go. Its not a job I would ever rush though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

New tyres on the front of my passat this morning. Went for continental 225/40/18

IMG_20160929_152522.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Spent the past weekend changing the flywheel, clutch and clutch slave cylinder on my Focus. Horrible job to do and putting the gearbox back on my own was mission impossible.

I put it back together and had massive problems with bleeding the clutch. When I took out the clutch line it looked like it's missing an O-ring or something and I tried a universal O-ring the clutch line was just squirting brake fluid all over on top of the bellhousing.

Thankfully with the help of some Boardsies I got the part number for a new seal and got it sorted in the end! The old seal must have got stuck in the old clutch slave cylinder and I decided it's a good idea to throw the old parts into the bin before I had finished the job :) You live and learn I suppose!

I bought all the parts from my local Ford dealer and they came out cheaper than from the motor factors or anywhere I could find besides Amazon Deutschland. I decided to go with the Ford parts for peace of mind.

New clutch slave:
    2T4Xbr0.jpg

New DMF:
    qSSBbxT.jpg

Car ready to be stripped:
    nfActZd.jpg

Drained the old gearbox oil:
    rPJWOGi.jpg

Gearbox removed:
    WXwuHWF.jpg

Old clutch and pressure plate:
    MOJOdfP.jpg

New flywheel, clutch and pressure plate bolted in:
    FT6LHJa.jpg

Next I got the gearbox back on, tried to bleed the clutch and ran into my problems at which point I got very annoyed and stopped taking pictures. The worst part about running into problems on a Saturday night/Sunday morning is that you won't be able to find anywhere open to sell you any parts you need. I finished with the car yesterday night (Monday).

The clutch pedal feels super soft compared to before and bites very early. No more bag of spanners sounds from the flywheel at idle either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

What was the final cost, if you don't mind me asking?

What was the final cost, if you don't mind me asking?

€510ish. I also replaced the turbo oil return pipe gaskets because I spotted they were leaking a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

shietpilot wrote:
    €510ish. I also replaced the turbo oil return pipe gaskets because I spotted they were leaking a bit!

That's fair good. Cost me 900 for the mondeo last Feb, incl of labour. Went with sachs in the end.

That's fair good. Cost me 900 for the mondeo last Feb, incl of labour. Went with sachs in the end.

The Ford flywheel was GAT which is owned by SACHS, clutch and pressure plate were SACHS and the clutch slave cylinder was FTE.

shietpilot wrote: »
    The Ford flywheel was GAT which is owned by SACHS, clutch and pressure plate were SACHS and the clutch slave cylinder was FTE.

That is fair good work done. Drive shafts have to come off as well don't they?
    One thing I hate about working on your own car is being on the ground lying on your back so uncomfortable. A lift makes the job so much easier.

That is fair good work done. Drive shafts have to come off as well don't they?
    One thing I hate about working on your own car is being on the ground lying on your back so uncomfortable. A lift makes the job so much easier.

Driveshafts, cat support to give access to one of the driveshaft so naturally I removed the cat as well, chassis brace under the cat, starter, air box, battery box and all the pipework from the intercooler outlet up to the intake.

Working on the back was horrible I must admit but at least I have it sorted before the colder months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Great work Shietpilot! Fair play to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Technically I didn't do anything to the car but did order a new exhaust today. I was going to go with a stainless system but when I went to a place recommended to me I didn't get a good impression from them. I also wanted something oem looking and quiet so in the end, I ordered an OEM exhaust, luckily still available. Figured oem would be oem looking! :)

Hopefully be here in a fortnight.

Here's the old one with optional sporty high flow side exit hole

20161006_211606.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Got these fitted recently :cool:

IMG_20161009_WA0000.jpg

Advertisement